User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All firearms GoodScout? It is my understanding that only handguns are not allowed. Rifles and shotguns may be declared and brought in for hunting purposes.
    Steve & Sally Borders
    2019 2600RB Grand Design Imagine
    Pulled by 2023 2500 Chevrolet Z71 Turbo Diesel
    <”)))><

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I have obtained my 40-year-old misdemeanor arrest records and I have written up a very detailed explanation as to the reason for the arrests. I have also gathered documentation regarding my rehabilitation since these arrests, showing that I became a productive and compliant citizen since those days gone by, as well as completing the required "Application for Rehabilitation for Persons Who Are Inadmissible to Canada Because of Past Criminal Activity" form. These are the things that Canada requires in order to even be considered to be allowed to enter the country.

Not going to submit to their system, pay the money and wait and hope. Will present to border officers upon arrival, along with itinerary, and if they allow us to cross, OK, if not, then that is OK too. Will be in northern Maine anyway and will ensure the camping reservation I make in Canada will have the most minimal cancellation fees. It will be interesting to see how this plays out and if we are unable to visit Nova Scotia, then we are going to beautiful northern Michigan and westward from there. Will follow-up with outcome for those who may be interested. Attempt will be made late July 2023.
    Steve & Sally Borders
    2019 2600RB Grand Design Imagine
    Pulled by 2023 2500 Chevrolet Z71 Turbo Diesel
    <”)))><

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sborders View Post
    So, I have obtained my 40-year-old misdemeanor arrest records and I have written up a very detailed explanation as to the reason for the arrests. I have also gathered documentation regarding my rehabilitation since these arrests, showing that I became a productive and compliant citizen since those days gone by, as well as completing the required "Application for Rehabilitation for Persons Who Are Inadmissible to Canada Because of Past Criminal Activity" form. These are the things that Canada requires in order to even be considered to be allowed to enter the country.

Not going to submit to their system, pay the money and wait and hope. Will present to border officers upon arrival, along with itinerary, and if they allow us to cross, OK, if not, then that is OK too. Will be in northern Maine anyway and will ensure the camping reservation I make in Canada will have the most minimal cancellation fees. It will be interesting to see how this plays out and if we are unable to visit Nova Scotia, then we are going to beautiful northern Michigan and westward from there. Will follow-up with outcome for those who may be interested. Attempt will be made late July 2023.
    Good luck. You're basically at the mercy of the border agent at this point.
    2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
    2023 F-350 7.3 XLT Crew Cab

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by netshadoe View Post
    I’ve crossed the border many times over the years.

Don’t over think it and just bring your common sense to the border.

Bring your smile. Be polite and honestly answer their questions. Don’t try to be cute/funny.

Open all your windows on the drivers side - agents will ask.

Take off your sunglasses.

Bring your passport.

Bring your drivers license and vehicle’s papers.

If you have a pet, make sure they are up to date on vaccines and have those papers.

No guns or illegal weapons.

No bear/pepper spray.

No illegal drugs. This includes Cannabis. It may be legal here, but crossing the border with it either way is illegal.

Try to minimize the amount of food you have. Poultry is a bit touchy at the moment (avian flu), but you’re allowed personal consumption food under these sets of rules in the link below. Be sure to declare your food items. The worse that may happen is they confiscate the offending items and you’ll be required to throw them away.
    https://inspection.canada.ca/food-sa...630282362#tab1

Same with liquor -declare it if you have personal consumption in your trailer.

Don’t worry about the ArriveCan app - unless you’re planning on flying that rig into an airport! Lol!

Lots of diesel and DEF in southern Ontario…no issues there. The 401 stretch between Toronto and Detroit is the busiest highway in North America….LOTS. OF. TRUCKS.

Drive 65 on the four lane freeways (401,402,403 if you’re going to Michigan). Drive 55 on two lane highways. Drive 50 on country roads. Drive 30-35 on boulevards. You’ll be fine.

You may get 25-30% on the dollar, but gas is still cheaper in the US. Fill up before crossing the border!

Finally, enjoy your visit, and if you have the time…get off the freeways and enjoy the scenery!!
    Why is everyone saying no “Bear Spray”?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4596.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	400.0 KB 
ID:	46468
    Retired
    Azle Tx
    2022 Imagine 2670MK
    2022 Ford F-350 4x4 7.3 Godzilla

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by secjcc View Post
    Why is everyone saying no “Bear Spray”?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4596.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	400.0 KB 
ID:	46468
    We cross with bear spray all the time. We cross IN bear country but I'm not sure that matters. Also, our stated purpose is hiking and climbing in bear country. If you tell the border agent you are going to spend the weekend in Montreal, he may question the need for your bear spray.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This all sounds like more than I am willing to do for a trip thru Canada. I still want to do Alaska. Are there any alternative ways to get my rig there such as a ferry?
    FWIW, I gave up on Mexico 35 years ago for similar reasons...Makes a good story but it takes too long to type it.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    This all sounds like more than I am willing to do for a trip thru Canada. I still want to do Alaska. Are there any alternative ways to get my rig there such as a ferry?
    FWIW, I gave up on Mexico 35 years ago for similar reasons...Makes a good story but it takes too long to type it.
    I guess all is possible for the right $$$. It just sounds worse than it actually is. We are now in Michigan and didn't get searched or questioned when we crossed in. Declared bear spray as we hike a lot, what we had as food and our purpose. No drugs (including cannabis), meat, fruits, and vegetables. I'm crossing back in a few days. We are kind of looking forward to getting pulled aside for a search so that we can ask more specific questions regarding what we can and can not bring in food wise.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Still have to traverse Canadian waters, same rules.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    I guess all is possible for the right $$$. It just sounds worse than it actually is. We are now in Michigan and didn't get searched or questioned when we crossed in. Declared bear spray as we hike a lot, what we had as food and our purpose. No drugs (including cannabis), meat, fruits, and vegetables. I'm crossing back in a few days. We are kind of looking forward to getting pulled aside for a search so that we can ask more specific questions regarding what we can and can not bring in food wise.
    Food is pretty easy. Well publicized online, but changes often in response to events. Potatoes with skin on need to meet qualifications. Uncooked poultry products from certain states are prohibited as well.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    Still have to traverse Canadian waters, same rules.
    Hmmm. If I roll my rig with a stocked pantry/fridge onto a ferry in a Washington state port, and roll it off in Alaska.... Whats Canada got to do with it?
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast