User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Hmmm. If I roll my rig with a stocked pantry/fridge onto a ferry in a Washington state port, and roll it off in Alaska.... Whats Canada got to do with it?
    The ferry has to travel thru Canadian waters and is subject to the same scrutiny by customs and immigration as a land border crossing. If the rig is registered to you, you have to be admissible. A friend of mine tried to ship his motorcycle to the US using a third party shipper but because of his record it was turned back at the border.
    Last edited by Bungy; 05-26-2023 at 05:50 AM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    The ferry has to travel thru Canadian waters and is subject to the same scrutiny by customs and immigration as a land border crossing. If the rig is registered to you, you have to be admissible. A friend of mine tried to ship his motorcycle to the US using a third party shipper but because of his record it was turned back at the border.
    So you're saying he would be forced to leave the ship in the middle of the crossing? Since the ship is not making a port-of-call stop in Canada, your example is moot.

"Passengers who board an AMHS vessel to travel directly between Bellingham, Washington and any Alaska port are not required to have a passport. Only those passengers disembarking in Canada are required to have a passport."

This would indicate there would be no scrutiny by Canadian customs and immigration.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    So you're saying he would be forced to leave the ship in the middle of the crossing? Since the ship is not making a port-of-call stop in Canada, your example is moot.

"Passengers who board an AMHS vessel to travel directly between Bellingham, Washington and any Alaska port are not required to have a passport. Only those passengers disembarking in Canada are required to have a passport."

This would indicate there would be no scrutiny by Canadian customs and immigration.
    No, the vessel would have to clear customs at its point of departure, probably Bellingham. If not admissible, the rv would not be loaded.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post

This whole discussion is moot, the maximum length for an RV on AMHS ferries is 30 ft

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ALASKA MARINE HIGHWAY SYSTEM who operate the ferry make no mention of clearing customs, or any kind of inspection. Just proper registration and requisite paperwork. I would think they would specify that there is a custom inspection, and/or something similar.
    Howard and Peggy

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This whole discussion is moot, the maximum length for an RV on AMHS ferries is 30 ft
    Actually it says there is no "online" booking for RV's over 30'. "All vehicles over 30 feet long or 8 feet wide are considered oversized and must be booked by an agent in a terminal or at the call center."

Your turn.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did some ferry googling. I do NOT need a passport if I do not disembark at a canadian port. I have not been able to find any RV specific rules on RVs, such as can I occupy it while on ship, etc.

So far it looks like a viable option. For the two of us a little over 20K round trip.
    It's only money and ya can't take it with ya.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post

I did some ferry googling. I do NOT need a passport if I do not disembark at a canadian port. I have not been able to find any RV specific rules on RVs, such as can I occupy it while on ship, etc.

So far it looks like a viable option. For the two of us a little over 20K round trip.
    It's only money and ya can't take it with ya.
    According to what I read, there is no access to the cargo deck while the ferry is underway, so no visiting your RV. Here is an FAQ I found: https://dot.alaska.gov/amhs/policies.shtml
    Howard and Peggy

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone know if I can take cooked vacuum packed brisket and/or pulled pork?
    Retired
    Azle Tx
    2022 Imagine 2670MK
    2022 Ford F-350 4x4 7.3 Godzilla

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by secjcc View Post
    Anyone know if I can take cooked vacuum packed brisket and/or pulled pork?
    As of now, yes. Beef and pork aren’t restricted for personal use. Poultry is because of Avian Influenza.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast