User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sborders View Post
    So we made our border crossing into Canada on interstate 95. They never asked about previous arrest record. Even though I downloaded and filled out the Canadian Firearms Declaration form for the 12-gauge pump shotgun I was carrying and checked the box on the form indicating that the firearm was for protection from wild animals, (checkbox was on their form) they said that Cape Breton National Park (which was our ultimate destination in Nova Scotia) did not allow firearms. They turned us around and we had to cross back into US, whereupon US border agents took the shotgun from the camper and ran it through their system to make sure it was not stolen. They were kind enough to tell me that the small border town of Houlton's police department would hold it for a small fee until we returned to the US. (Which they did) This cost us about one hour of drive time. Luckily our reservation was just across the border in New Brunswick. Ultimately, we made it to Cape Breton and stayed a week while exploring the Cabot Trail. The trip was well worth it as the views were beyond description, although most of the roadway on the Cabot Trail was horrible. We ended up with a bent rear axle which caused us to go through many tires by the time we returned home. The fact that firearms were prohibited was not true as we saw several signs along the Cabot Trail stating, "ensure all firearms are locked away and inaccessible". Upon our return to the US, we made a reservation at the KOA in Houlton and the police department did not charge me for holding on to the gun. Trip was well worth it and if you go, be sure to visit "Meat Cove". Happy trails.
    P.S. Went from Florida to Georgia to Tennessee to West Virgnia to New York State to Vermont to Maine to New Brunswick to Nova Scotia to New Hampshire and back to Florida, and never needed the shotgun. Being from very high crime area, I believed it was essential to have this protection. Not true.
    Firearms are prohibited in national parks just like in the USA
    Many parts of Cape Breton are not in the national park system

Bringing firearms into Canada for “protection” is never allowed. Unsure why there is even a form
    But if I can’t drive around with a gun in my car or trailer not while actively hunting neither can an American
    I live in the town of Woodstock that borders Houlton
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Sborders;497586
    Being from very high crime area, I believed it was essential to have this protection. Not true.[/QUOTE]

Im sure if you live in Cape Breton you could leave your house unlocked, go away for the weekend and it would be fine!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sborders View Post
    So we made our border crossing into Canada on interstate 95. They never asked about previous arrest record. ...
    FYI, just because they didn't ask this time doesn't mean they won't ask another time. We've found different border agents have different questions.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can’t help you with recent east coast crossings but we made 4 border crossings in last 2 months on our way to Alaska & back. Our last east coast crossings in 2018 were not pleasant returning to the US. Our rig was searched at Buffalo commercial crossing by a young agent who was extremely rude. This year was totally different. We crossed into Canada at Sweet Grass Montana with no passports, just birth & wedding certificates. Very pleasant Canadian agent. Crossed into Alaska on Alaska Highway & again a very pleasant US Agent. She asked if we had raw eggs purchased in Alberta & we told her we had 6 eggs left. She said, you don’t know me so just be sure you dispose of those shells in the trash. Crossing back to Canada on Alaska Highway, very nice Canadian agent. Then crossing into US at Portal North Dakota a very pleasant US agent. Good luck & as stated by others look at official Canadian & US websites for info. I would avoid large crossings. Some smaller crossings are not open 24 hours.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just crossed back and forth twice, going to the GD Indiana rally. In both cases, no questions about food in the TT. Didn’t even ask about vaccinations for our dog

I should caveat this by saying both border patrols keep a database, tied both to your passport number and license plate. If you’re like us, and cross fairly often, they get to the point where their screen tells them we’re no big deal. On a first crossing, you might get more questions.
    Darren & Lynne
    Innkeepers, Phineas Swann Inn & Spa, Montgomery, Vermont
    2023 Imagine 2670MK
    2024 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678