User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Connecting lithium to the RV DC system

I've installed 810Ah of LiFePO4 batteries, Multiplus II with lynx distributor in my passthrough, along with all the other fuses, switches etc.
    I've got everything sorted except the wiring to the RV DC system.

I have separate AC and DC panels. I'm removing the original Converter/Charger and the cables that go into the DC panel.
    Can I run a cable from the Lynx distributor to the DC panel, where the previous lines from the old unit were connected?
    which is approx. 5 ft. away.

Or do I route it up to the front of the RV and tie it into the bus bar above the old battery location? Which is 15-20 ft away?

And what size cable should I use?
    2022 Reflection 340rds
    Full time, 9/2021

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riveyman View Post
    I've installed 810Ah of LiFePO4 batteries, Multiplus II with lynx distributor in my passthrough, along with all the other fuses, switches etc.
    I've got everything sorted except the wiring to the RV DC system.

I have separate AC and DC panels. I'm removing the original Converter/Charger and the cables that go into the DC panel.
    Can I run a cable from the Lynx distributor to the DC panel, where the previous lines from the old unit were connected?
    which is approx. 5 ft. away.

Or do I route it up to the front of the RV and tie it into the bus bar above the old battery location? Which is 15-20 ft away?

And what size cable should I use?
    I am guessing that you have a 5th wheel with two holds, one up front under the overhang.

The problem simply running cables to the power distribution/fuse panel is that those circuits up front where the Buss Bar is will not receive sufficient power (amperage) from the distribution panel. Those "Buss Bar" circuits are all heavy draw circuits, i.e.: Hydraulic pump for the leveling system, Power source for your Schwintec slides, etc.

I would run at least a 1/0 cable to the buss bar and attach it to the same bolts the original battery cables were attached. I would also run cables directly to the power distribution/fuse panel at least the same size as the OEM installed.

While you are at it, I would eliminate the original battery disconnect switch. I would also (since I am in there) upgrade the cables feeding my Hydraulic pump to 4ga, (the 6ga the OEM used seems to be too light) my pump runs much better with the 4ga cables (be sure to up size all the cables going to it as well as the negative cable).
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    I am guessing that you have a 5th wheel with two holds, one up front under the overhang.

The problem simply running cables to the power distribution/fuse panel is that those circuits up front where the Buss Bar is will not receive sufficient power (amperage) from the distribution panel. Those "Buss Bar" circuits are all heavy draw circuits, i.e.: Hydraulic pump for the leveling system, Power source for your Schwintec slides, etc.

I would run at least a 1/0 cable to the buss bar and attach it to the same bolts the original battery cables were attached. I would also run cables directly to the power distribution/fuse panel at least the same size as the OEM installed.

While you are at it, I would eliminate the original battery disconnect switch. I would also (since I am in there) upgrade the cables feeding my Hydraulic pump to 4ga, (the 6ga the OEM used seems to be too light) my pump runs much better with the 4ga cables (be sure to up size all the cables going to it as well as the negative cable).
    Yes, I have a 5th wheel.
    So run a 6 ga cable (current OEM) to the DC fuse panel and also run a 1/0 cable to the front storage buss bar, both from the lynx distributor?

I'll have to look into removing the original battery disconnect switch.
    As for the hydraulic pump, don't have one. Have a Reflection which only has the Ground Control 3.0 electric auto level system.

Thanks for your assistance.
    2022 Reflection 340rds
    Full time, 9/2021