User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Inverter?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trace the wire that attaches to the inverter switch…you are bound to find it.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I doubt that is the case. It likely is in his trailer. Besides he said it ( the fridge) was working so
    I've gone through the thread again and it wasn't clear. @kb0zke, can you power your fridge while just being on battery, not connected to shore power?
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the way it seemed to work coming home from the dealership. Of course, we didn't have much in the refrigerator. We just landed and are still getting settled for the night, but when I get a chance I'll plug the refrigerator back into the outlet and see what happens. Then I can go out, flip the 50A breaker, and see what happens. At the worst the refrigerator will be without power for maybe five minutes.

The wire from the inverter switch disappears under the floor. This weekend I'll see if I can find a similar wire coming out of the floor behind the Nautilus panel.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This afternoon I decided to see what I could find out. I've already determined that there is no inverter mounted to the ceiling of the pass-through bay. The first thing I did was to check to see if the outlet had magically fixed itself in the past few days. It hadn't. I then went outside and turned off the 50A breaker, so that there was no power to the trailer. Then I pulled the refrigerator breaker out and checked it. All good, so put it back in. Then I pulled the outlet out far enough to see what's what there. All good. The only "surprise" at that point was that the outlet's wire headed towards the rear of the trailer, not toward the front as I expected. Okay, maybe the factory decided that there wasn't enough room for the wire to go behind the refrigerator, so it had to go to someplace where it could dive under the floor and come up again by the electrical panels. Just to see, I plugged a small lamp into the outlet after first turning on the outside breaker. Light works. Great. Then I turned the refrigerator breaker off. The light blinked once and kept on glowing. What? I turned off all of the breakers, one by one, and the light stayed on. Finally I decided to turn off the (non-existent) inverter. The lamp went out! That told me two things: first, I DO have an inverter. Second, that outlet is not protected by a circuit breaker.

Monday's travel is only about 3 hours or so, and we're staying two nights, so I should be able to spend a bit more time troubleshooting this strange situation. The wire for the refrigerator outlet goes behind the fireplace. Before I take the fireplace out, though, I want to look underneath the slide and see if there are any wires coming down there. I'm guessing there are, since there are all sorts of electrical things in that slide, both 12 vdc and 120 VAC.
    David Lininger, kb0zke

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine has brown romex out of the inverter to (I guess) a fridge outlet. It’s the only brown romex in the whole coach.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    This afternoon I decided to see what I could find out. I've already determined that there is no inverter mounted to the ceiling of the pass-through bay. The first thing I did was to check to see if the outlet had magically fixed itself in the past few days. It hadn't. I then went outside and turned off the 50A breaker, so that there was no power to the trailer. Then I pulled the refrigerator breaker out and checked it. All good, so put it back in. Then I pulled the outlet out far enough to see what's what there. All good. The only "surprise" at that point was that the outlet's wire headed towards the rear of the trailer, not toward the front as I expected. Okay, maybe the factory decided that there wasn't enough room for the wire to go behind the refrigerator, so it had to go to someplace where it could dive under the floor and come up again by the electrical panels. Just to see, I plugged a small lamp into the outlet after first turning on the outside breaker. Light works. Great. Then I turned the refrigerator breaker off. The light blinked once and kept on glowing. What? I turned off all of the breakers, one by one, and the light stayed on. Finally I decided to turn off the (non-existent) inverter. The lamp went out! That told me two things: first, I DO have an inverter. Second, that outlet is not protected by a circuit breaker.

Monday's travel is only about 3 hours or so, and we're staying two nights, so I should be able to spend a bit more time troubleshooting this strange situation. The wire for the refrigerator outlet goes behind the fireplace. Before I take the fireplace out, though, I want to look underneath the slide and see if there are any wires coming down there. I'm guessing there are, since there are all sorts of electrical things in that slide, both 12 vdc and 120 VAC.
    Good to hear you confirmed you have an inverter. I figure you will eventually find it. Good troubleshooting technique too.

The output of the inverter is generally protected by an internal circuit protection circuit (most likely 16 amp if WFCO inverter). Those that use larger inverters and want multiple branch circuits generally run the output to an AC sub panel which feeds the various loads and, thus, have CBs on both the input and output of the inverter.

It seems counterintuitive that the "refrigerator" breaker isn't between the inverter output and the load but instead is between the shore power AC source and the inverter but that is how it is normally done. That way RV is protected from a bad or overloaded inverter I suppose.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where did GD put the inverter on/off switch in your rv?
    Usually that switch is less then 12ft from the inverter.

Also; how many red wires are leaving the battery area?
    1 of those should go directly to the inverter.

Our inverter was bad when we took delivery. The dude giving the tour of our Solitude during the pdi walkaround, didn't even know what the inverter switch was. I was giving him a hard time, because it did not work. He had no clue. GD sent me a new inverter.

It sounds like yours's is working, you just don't know where it is.
    I'm guessing; somewhere behind the wall, near the water heater.

KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jo Ann found it this afternoon. It IS behind the drawers of the small closet. I was looking down, and the inverter is on the back wall. Now that I know where it is, I can take a day to move the mattress out of the way and pull the drawers out to actually see what there is to see in there. Yes, that would be within 12' of where the remote switch is.
    David Lininger, kb0zke

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jo Ann found it this afternoon. It IS behind the drawers of the small closet. I was looking down, and the inverter is on the back wall. Now that I know where it is, I can take a day to move the mattress out of the way and pull the drawers out to actually see what there is to see in there. Yes, that would be within 12' of where the remote switch is.
    I thought that is where it was
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When on, it should display the voltage that it's supplying.

KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast