User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Add 12V outlet to 22mle

We purchased a BougeRV CR45 (48qt) electric cooler and would like to plug it in to a 12v receptacle in the trailer as we travel down the highway. I would like to tap into power neaar the bed, maybe on the street side where there is a usb port and electrical outlet. Doable?
    John and Lori
    2018 XLT 2.7l
    2021 Imagine 22mle

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC210 View Post
    We purchased a BougeRV CR45 (48qt) electric cooler and would like to plug it in to a 12v receptacle in the trailer as we travel down the highway. I would like to tap into power neaar the bed, maybe on the street side where there is a usb port and electrical outlet. Doable?
    You will have to upgrade the wires. The 16 AWG wire is nowhere near big enough for the 12V power supply of the cooler. You will need at least 10 AWG wire or you will risk a potential fire.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you tap into the 12 volt at the fuse box , you could simply add a dedicated 12volt line with a fuse for your cooler. putting the recepticle under the pantry area, below the drawers. This would be very easy.
    hope this helps,
    Brian
    Brian and Lennette
    2018 GMC 2500 Duramax
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at these to replace the refrigerator in the outdoor kitchen so will be very interested in your thoughts on performance.

Rated input is 60W so you'll need wire rated for 5 amps minimum. Circuit length will influence AWG, and remember that circuit length is the full length to/from the battery. (My personal preference is to bias to larger wire to reduce voltage drop.)

The chart below should help.

I'd also consider running new wires directly off the battery (be sure to fuse appropriately) to eliminate any concerns about different AWG in the path. My experience with wiring in my rig shows that there is no rhyme or reason to what happens when these are being built.
    James and Dawn
    2019 F150 SCREW 3.5EB 6.5' - Haloview MC7109; Cooper AT3 LTX; Sumo Springs; ProPride WDH

2021 Imagine 2400BH - GY Endurance 225/75-15; MORryde CRE3000, HD shackles and wet bolts, X-factor crossmembers

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run my BougeRV off of the two prong solar input, (can't think of what it's called) the one that it there if you want to plug in a solar panel. Works great. Amazon is your friend for compatible connection and 6FT 10AWG extension wire.

EDIT: we carry ours in the back seat of the truck plugged into a 300W battery pack and that is fed power with he truck cig outlet. When parked, I just run the wire to the trailer as mentioned above. Carrying the fridge inside the rig, I'd run some type of outlet from your 12 volt side of you power center. Perhaps like the one outside so you switch around.
    Last edited by BobinICT; 08-22-2023 at 10:38 AM.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinICT View Post
    I run my BougeRV off of the two prong solar input, (can't think of what it's called) the one that it there if you want to plug in a solar panel. Works great. Amazon is your friend for compatible connection and 6FT 10AWG extension wire.

EDIT: we carry ours in the back seat of the truck plugged into a 300W battery pack and that is fed power with he truck cig outlet. When parked, I just run the wire to the trailer as mentioned above. Carrying the fridge inside the rig, I'd run some type of outlet from your 12 volt side of you power center. Perhaps like the one outside so you switch around.
    How long can you run the Bourge cooler off of the 300w battery pack if it wasn't charging via the cig lighter? i am thinking going that route instead of a power outlet in the trailer.
    John and Lori
    2018 XLT 2.7l
    2021 Imagine 22mle

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long can you run the Bourge cooler off of the 300w battery pack if it wasn't charging via the cig lighter? i am thinking going that route instead of a power outlet in the trailer.
    That will depend on whether or not you pre-cooled it. If you did, and you don't open it often, it'll last about 14 hours.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really haven't tried running it for a prolong time. Our first year with the fridge we had it plugged into the truck cig socket but I got tired of it having to restart every time I started the truck. The cig outlet will stay hot for some time after the truck is off but upon starting the system shuts down all outlets. This battery pack showed up on my Amazon feed on sale and it was just a little more the the add on battery they sell for the fridge so I took the plunge thinking not only do I get an additional uninterrupted power source but it has other uses too.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran