User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inverter question (CPAP Use)

My 2018 Imagine came with a after market sine wave inverter we only boondock overnight on our way to a campground with full hook-ups. If we stop for the night to sleep can I use the inverter to run my CPAP machine overnight without it draining my battery to far down?
    Thank you

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends what kind of batteries and the capacity of the batteries. Also, look at the cpap machine and there should be information on it which says how much power it consumes. If you can provide all of the above information, it will be easier to answer your question. Also, do you know if the inverter is wired to power all of your outlets?
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^ this. And you might want to unhook the trailer wiring from the truck, just in case the charge wire might drain the vehicle battery.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead1970 View Post
    My 2018 Imagine came with a after market sine wave inverter we only boondock overnight on our way to a campground with full hook-ups. If we stop for the night to sleep can I use the inverter to run my CPAP machine overnight without it draining my battery to far down?
    Thank you
    Here is another thread that discusses a similar situation to yours (including CPAP):

Be sure to read response #28 , it discusses CPAPs and an alternate method of powering them directly from the batteries without using the Inverter.

What-is-needed-to-run-TV (Includes Discussion of CPAPs)
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you
    You might want to consider a 12-volt adapter for your CPAP (here's the one I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0821CMSPH), you could add a 12-volt receptacle (like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NVP63QB) and you'd be good to go. My CPAP doesn't draw much from the 12-volt system unless I'm using the heater/humidifier.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you
    This is actually a very complicated question. As others have already mentioned, a lot more information is needed to make an accurate assessment.

The link below offers a very detailed outline of what it takes to power a ResMed CPAP for eight hours via battery power. It covers DC-DC options (their preferred method) and DC-AC (inverter options). The inverter option will require more battery as measured in amp hours due to the power loss in converting DC to AC, then back to DC - the CPAP actually operated on DC power.

https://document.resmed.com/document...de_glo_eng.pdf

As you can see from their battery charts, one CPAP option running from inverter power calls for 150 amp hours for 8 hours of use. That would take a fairly robust system to support for any length of time.
    Last edited by Jomani; 03-22-2023 at 09:56 AM.
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a great resource @Jomani. It also shows that the typical CPAP on just supplying pressure uses about .5 Amps when used with a 12-volt converter. That works out to 4-5 Ah per night which is consistent with my experience (I turn off my hose heater and humidifier in the summer). But you're right, with everything going and an inverter instead of a converter, then power usage could go quite high. When I've used the inverter it appears usage goes up to 10 Ah per night, so about double even for just pressure.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CPAP on 12vdc

I have the DC to DC setup(cigarette adapter) works great. If you have a 100ah or less battery capacity I would reccomend air only @1 amp/hr vs air + humidifier 2.5 amps/hr.
    Mark & Shauna
    2021 Reflection 310RLS, DIY 500w Solar, DIY 560ah Lithium Batteries
    2015 GMC 2500HD