User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for solar info

We just purchased a 22MLE with one 165 watt solar panel, is there a simple way to connect another 165 w panel to the existing one? Does the charger have to be upgraded?

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to Solar Systems and Generators.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GDHauler View Post
    We just purchased a 22MLE with one 165 watt solar panel, is there a simple way to connect another 165 w panel to the existing one? Does the charger have to be upgraded?
    Usually, the OEM Solar system is sized large enough to accept a second panel of the same size and voltage.

Here is more information on Solar systems:

Affordable-Solar-How-To-Design-and-Install-an-Affordable-Solar-System

Be sure to click all the links to get more detailed information from all the contributors.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GDHauler View Post
    You should have a 25 amp MPPT Charge Controller. The specs for that charger has a max input of 300w. In a perfect world, two 165w panels connected in parallel would be 330w - too much

Operating voltage on your panel should be 19.4 volts. Since 165 watts divided by 19.4 volts equals 8.5 amps, the total output of two panels (in a perfect world) would be 17 amps @ 19.4 volts (parallel) or 8.5 amps @ 38.8 volts (series).

https://cdn.accentuate.io/6641527586...7097014132.pdf

https://cdn.accentuate.io/1928957001...4464325599.pdf
    Last edited by Jomani; 03-24-2023 at 10:30 AM.
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jomani View Post
    You should have a 25 amp MPPT Charge Controller. The specs for that charger has a max input of 300w. In a perfect world, two 165w panels connected in parallel would be 330w - too much

Operating voltage on your panel should be 19.4 volts. Connecting two in series should give you a max output of 165w @ 38.8 volts - well within specs on the controller.

https://cdn.accentuate.io/6641527586...7097014132.pdf

https://cdn.accentuate.io/1928957001...4464325599.pdf
    While you might be byond the specs when it comes to the Wattage (30 Watts over) this would not be an issue because the controller will, just "clip" off the excess 30 Watts if you should ever reach the max 330 Watts. You could only reach that "ideal" 330 Watts when the Sun is hitting both panels, "just right", and only for a very short period. The other set of numbers is the set that is important and you will be well within those specs.

The limitations noted above are a good example of why you should design your "final/ideal" Solar system before you start to upgrade your current system. For example: let's pretend that you eventually wanted 1,300 Watts of Solar on your roof, and you decided the best way to get it is with 4 - 325 Watt Solar panels (you may have determined that you only have room for 4 panels). It would be pretty easy to throw out the original 165 Watt Solar panel and Solar charge controller, however, you just spent money to install a second panel and you really don't want to waste that money. Consequently, you get stuck with a 1,000 Watt system instead of 1,300 Watts.

Don't get me wrong, adding a second panel is well worth doing, and doing it sooner rather than later is best, I just want to make you aware of how beneficial an overall plan can be. Of course, if you are just starting your journey with a Solar system , you may not have any idea what your final system may become, so, go ahead and install that second panel now to learn about living with Solar. It may turn out that 300 Watts of Solar is plenty for you and your family.
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same solar system on my new 23LDE (my 22MLE did not have it). I'm finding that adding a Furrion panel, while doable, is a very expensive panel compared to other reliable brands out there. I just suggest doing more research and figuring out your needs for solar before you buy the Furrion panel. You may realize that different panels and solar controller will be better for you in the long run than the convenience of adding the Furrion panel. But it all depends on what you want and need. I started out assuming I would just add the panel too, but now I'm planning on replacing the system instead so I can get more bang for my buck and more wattage for boondocking.

Have fun researching, it can take you down a rabbit hole and might just branch off into the world of building your own lithium batteries (packs) if you're not careful. It's a dangerous business stepping out your door...there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    While you might be byond the specs when it comes to the Wattage (30 Watts over) this would not be an issue because the controller will, just "clip" off the excess 30 Watts if you should ever reach the max 330 Watts. You could only reach that "ideal" 330 Watts when the Sun is hitting both panels, "just right", and only for a very short period. The other set of numbers is the set that is important and you will be well within those specs.

The limitations noted above are a good example of why you should design your "final/ideal" Solar system before you start to upgrade your current system. For example: let's pretend that you eventually wanted 1,300 Watts of Solar on your roof, and you decided the best way to get it is with 4 - 325 Watt Solar panels (you may have determined that you only have room for 4 panels). It would be pretty easy to throw out the original 165 Watt Solar panel and Solar charge controller, however, you just spent money to install a second panel and you really don't want to waste that money. Consequently, you get stuck with a 1,000 Watt system instead of 1,300 Watts.

Don't get me wrong, adding a second panel is well worth doing, and doing it sooner rather than later is best, I just want to make you aware of how beneficial an overall plan can be. Of course, if you are just starting your journey with a Solar system , you may not have any idea what your final system may become, so, go ahead and install that second panel now to learn about living with Solar. It may turn out that 300 Watts of Solar is plenty for you and your family.
    my factory jaboni controller would not "clip" excess wattage. jaboni stated that doing this would cause it to fail,
    my victrons are ok with it. i am not sure about the furrions that are now part of the factory systems.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I mis-stated the total output in my first post. I went back and corrected it - watts will stay at 330 (in a perfect world) amps and volts will change when connecting parallel vs. series.
    Last edited by Jomani; 03-24-2023 at 03:39 PM.
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t have same trailer but have same factory setup and have been doing some research/costing to expanding it. What others have said about thinking ahead for future expansion and best value of money spent has lead me to my plan.

This will be our first year with the 2910BH and our main solar goal currently is for the 12v fridge to be able to run non stop while parked in its storage space.

Step 1 is replace the standard battery they sold with the camper for a renogy 200ah lithium.$1200CAD. Seems to be my best bang for buck option up here. Will get value back on the battery it came with.

Step 2 assuming that the battery upgrade doesn’t cover my needs which I believe won’t if I run into cloudy days. I will replace the furring 165watt with a residential 300w panel I can get one of these from local solar supply place for $180CAD and with this I can sell the furrion panel for at least that and be ahead for free. This is much better $$ spend compared to getting a renogy 175w panel(seems to be the closets match to the furrion panel) on Amazon for $246CAD and I don’t get any value back.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigs85 View Post
    I don’t have same trailer but have same factory setup and have been doing some research/costing to expanding it. What others have said about thinking ahead for future expansion and best value of money spent has lead me to my plan.

This will be our first year with the 2910BH and our main solar goal currently is for the 12v fridge to be able to run non stop while parked in its storage space.

Step 1 is replace the standard battery they sold with the camper for a renogy 200ah lithium.$1200CAD. Seems to be my best bang for buck option up here. Will get value back on the battery it came with.

Step 2 assuming that the battery upgrade doesn’t cover my needs which I believe won’t if I run into cloudy days. I will replace the furring 165watt with a residential 300w panel I can get one of these from local solar supply place for $180CAD and with this I can sell the furrion panel for at least that and be ahead for free. This is much better $$ spend compared to getting a renogy 175w panel(seems to be the closets match to the furrion panel) on Amazon for $246CAD and I don’t get any value back.
    My question is why do you need to keep the fridge running year round?

How many months do you store the coach?

Wouldn't it be better to simply empty the fridge between seasons?

In Canada, you might run into a problem where it is too cold to operate the refrigerator and you will definitely see temps where it is too cold to operate (charge) your battery(ies).

I applaud your plans to upgrade your Solar and batteries, I just question your reason.
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast