User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furrion solar controller

We had a quick visit with the service tech at Bill Thomas RV, Wentzville, MO this morning. This thread is a continuation/break-off of a couple of other threads, so I'll give a brief history first.

We bought our trailer at the end of January. It is a 2022, but had never been sold. It didn't have any batteries installed, so we were able to have two LiFePO4 105 AH batteries installed. The dealer didn't change the converter from the standard one to one that would properly charge Lithium batteries.

A couple of weeks after we got it back to The Ranch I noticed that the solar controller wasn't on the lithium setting, so I changed it back. At the time I just thought I had bumped the button. A few days later I noticed the same thing, so I started checking it daily. Each morning I had to reset it. By that time we were moving out, so I made an appointment for this morning at Bill Thomas. We arrived at 370 Lakeside Park, St. Peters, yesterday afternoon, stayed hooked up, and got back to Wentzville this morning.

The tech and I both looked at the solar controller, and she said that there have been quite a few problems with the Furrion solar controller. After we visited a bit, we went back inside to the service manager. The tech told her to call Grand Design and see what is going to be done about all of the Furrion solar controllers failing and the incorrect converters being installed. She said that the failures of the solar controllers and the incorrect converters are destroying expensive LiFePO4 batteries. As I left the service manager was on the phone to GD.

I asked about increasing the solar capacity (panels and batteries). She said that I will need a bigger/better solar controller to handle that, and she suggested a Victron controller. I asked about the converter we are ordering, a Progressive Dynamics model, and she said that is a very good choice.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    We had a quick visit with the service tech at Bill Thomas RV, Wentzville, MO this morning. This thread is a continuation/break-off of a couple of other threads, so I'll give a brief history first.

We bought our trailer at the end of January. It is a 2022, but had never been sold. It didn't have any batteries installed, so we were able to have two LiFePO4 105 AH batteries installed. The dealer didn't change the converter from the standard one to one that would properly charge Lithium batteries.

A couple of weeks after we got it back to The Ranch I noticed that the solar controller wasn't on the lithium setting, so I changed it back. At the time I just thought I had bumped the button. A few days later I noticed the same thing, so I started checking it daily. Each morning I had to reset it. By that time we were moving out, so I made an appointment for this morning at Bill Thomas. We arrived at 370 Lakeside Park, St. Peters, yesterday afternoon, stayed hooked up, and got back to Wentzville this morning.

The tech and I both looked at the solar controller, and she said that there have been quite a few problems with the Furrion solar controller. After we visited a bit, we went back inside to the service manager. The tech told her to call Grand Design and see what is going to be done about all of the Furrion solar controllers failing and the incorrect converters being installed. She said that the failures of the solar controllers and the incorrect converters are destroying expensive LiFePO4 batteries. As I left the service manager was on the phone to GD.

I asked about increasing the solar capacity (panels and batteries). She said that I will need a bigger/better solar controller to handle that, and she suggested a Victron controller. I asked about the converter we are ordering, a Progressive Dynamics model, and she said that is a very good choice.
    Thanks for sharing your experience, while our Furrion controller has worked well, I agree that there are several reports of failures. The Victrons have a reputation as some of the best units available.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, Victrons are very, very, good.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine does the same thing. I have to manually put it back on lithium every morning. Can not figure out why it switches back to lead acid every evening. I also have lithium batteries.
    Retired U.S. Navy Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Big Horn, CC, 6.7 Cummins
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markandkim View Post
    Mine does the same thing. I have to manually put it back on lithium every morning. Can not figure out why it switches back to lead acid every evening. I also have lithium batteries.
    Here is my theory...

Your Solar Charge Controller is sensing the lower voltage of your Converter (overnight) and is automatically switching back to Lead Acid Mode.
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Here is my theory...

Your Solar Charge Controller is sensing the lower voltage of your Converter (overnight) and is automatically switching back to Lead Acid Mode.
    I dunno. If he has electric hooked up, why is this an issue?
    Also I do not think one can destroy batteries with a LA chaging profile
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with the Furrion solar controller reverting back to LA mode is pretty well documented on a number of different forums. When mine did it, I contacted Furrion (LCI) directly and opened a warranty claim. Since mine was still under the Grand Design warranty, they had me contact Grand Design with the warranty claim number. I had a new one in hand a week later - no questions asked.

On mine, it didn’t seem to matter wether or not I was plugged into shore power or converter on/off. I tried a lot of different things before replacing it. The new unit is different than the old so they obviously changed something.

I agree with @huntindog, a non-lithium charger (converter or solar controller) shouldn’t hurt a LiFePo4 battery. While it won’t fully charge, that is not a factor with lithium like it is with lead acid.
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Here is my theory...

Sorry to challenge that theory, but my Furrion stays in LiFePo4 mode regardless of the state of my (somewhat useless WFCO AD) charger/converter. I think some of the Furrion charge controllers are simply defective.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine stayed on the lithium setting from Saturday until this morning. I pulled one of the batteries and found it unresponsive, so it is spending the night locked in the truck. Tomorrow I'll see if it will reset. If so, I'll put it back in and see what happens.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine stayed on the lithium setting from Saturday until this morning. I pulled one of the batteries and found it unresponsive, so it is spending the night locked in the truck. Tomorrow I'll see if it will reset. If so, I'll put it back in and see what happens.
    So, you have created the first known instance of Lithium Jail
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast