User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Which frig do you have? You mention propane but I'm thinking the 22 MLE XLS came with a 12-volt frig. If it is the 12-volt frig you should be OK, if you have the propane/110-volt frig you'll need to run it in propane mode.
    Thank you for the quick response! My Coach is an early 2022, they have the dual power (Electric /LP) 120V 2.7 Amp 8 Cubic Foot Refrigerator/Freezer. Purchased it August of 2021. Not until I get my Inverter installed will I be able to travel with the Propane turned off.
    Karl - USMC - DAV 🇺🇸
    2004 Ford F-350 Powerstroke Super-duty 6.0L (Bulletproofed 😁) 202k miles | 2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22 MLE | Trailer Tires: Goodyear Endurance ‘D’ rated

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    First, you don't say if your batteries are 6 volt or 12 volt batteries (it makes a difference because a pair of 6v batteries can [generally] store more energy).

To answer your question, we really need to understand how the Propane/Electric refrigerator works...

Your fridge operates off of Propane, or 120 volt electricity. It uses the Propane or electricity to generate heat that heats up ammonia to create a gas, as the ammonia gas cools down it creates cold, this cold is transferred to the inside of the fridge through the fins at the top of the refrigerator and a "cold plate" at the back of the freezer. With Propane there is an actual flame heating up the ammonia, when the fridge is operating on electricity, there is a "resistive" heating element (just like the coils on an electric stove) that heats the ammonia. Resistive heating elements are not that energy efficient, consequently, they use a lot of energy to create their heat.

With all that being said, you probably won't be able to run your refrigerator off of electricity with your current pair of 12 volt (presumably), Lead Acid batteries (even on Sunny days with the help of your Solar panels).

If you wanted to upgrade your system to be able to operate your fridge using your onboard battery bank and Inverter, you would probably need a minimum of 600 amp hours of Lithium batteries and very sunny days to cover a long day's drive. Like I said, resistive heating is very inefficient and uses a lot of energy.
    My bust! I have Two 12 Volt 550 CCA 50 Ah Deep Cycle batteries. My Trailer is early 2022 with the 120V 2.7 Amp 8 Cubic Foot dual power Refrigerator. I purchased a 3,000 Watts Inverter (not installed yet). I did get my answer, so it will have to be the LP for now.
    Karl - USMC - DAV 🇺🇸
    2004 Ford F-350 Powerstroke Super-duty 6.0L (Bulletproofed 😁) 202k miles | 2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22 MLE | Trailer Tires: Goodyear Endurance ‘D’ rated

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KGoesele View Post
    Not until I get my Inverter installed will I be able to travel with the Propane turned off.
    You're going to need a better battery bank to do that.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GDHauler View Post
    We just purchased a 22MLE with one 165 watt solar panel, is there a simple way to connect another 165 w panel to the existing one? Does the charger have to be upgraded?
    This guy is very helpful https://www.youtube.com/@WillProwse

Also there are numerous forums on solar and RV - months or reading. Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    You're going to need a better battery bank to do that.
    I have this on my list:

12V Battery, HWE 12V 100Ah Lithium Battery 4000~8000 Cycles Rechargeable Deep Cycle Battery Built-in 100A BMS for RV Camper, Marine, Solar Energy Storage, UPS, and AGM Battery Replacement https://a.co/d/6i0Vv6y
    Karl - USMC - DAV 🇺🇸

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KGoesele View Post
    I have this on my list:

12V Battery, HWE 12V 100Ah Lithium Battery 4000~8000 Cycles Rechargeable Deep Cycle Battery Built-in 100A BMS for RV Camper, Marine, Solar Energy Storage, UPS, and AGM Battery Replacement https://a.co/d/6i0Vv6y
    If you want to travel with your Propane turned off and your refrigerator running on 120 volts, you will need a 200ah to 300ah battery bank (at minimum) to make it through a long travel day.

I would start with 200ah, and plan for up to 400ah.

Sorry to be the bearer of this bad news.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for solar info

Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    If you want to travel with your Propane turned off and your refrigerator running on 120 volts, you will need a 200ah to 300ah battery bank (at minimum) to make it through a long travel day.

I would start with 200ah, and plan for up to 400ah.

Sorry to be the bearer of this bad news.
    Well, there are Two 100 Ah 12V lithium-ion batteries as a set. Maybe start with those and purchase another set later to make a total of Four. Currently our trips have been -200 miles away, and mainly for her shows, however, we would like to travel across the country at some point. Thank you for the advice! [emoji846]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3243.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	47254

I just found out that the link I copied from Amazon led to some super deals page, rather than what I was trying to show you, so I made a Screenshot. [emoji2357]
    Last edited by KGoesele; 07-11-2023 at 12:10 AM.
    Karl - USMC - DAV 🇺🇸

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234