User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tools For On The Road Issues

I have been pulling an RV for well over 40 years and with each new RV, I review all the potential issues and tools I should have with me to address those issues. For example, I have a complete set of bearings, seals, a bearing packer, a compression kit for seals, both red and blue water lines and connectors, etc.

I found I also needed a FAT WRENCH that measures in inches vs pounds. I have weapons and know such a tool is used for scopes, etc. but have no idea why I ordered it for my RV just in case it was needed.

Does anyone have any idea why I needed this tool? I don't recall, but that goes with being 75.

Thanks
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does appear that the main usage for that sort of wrench is firearm adjustment. On the other hand, if the criteria for not knowing why we have a tool is being in the 70+ set, a lot of us on this forum are in trouble.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I often look around in my garage and shake my head at all the tools that I have. DW will also make the remark at all the different drills, hammers.... that I have. Still, when ever I go to the hardware store I always seem to stumble on something that I dont have and could use.
    I use my torque wrench in inches to tighten up the AC mounting bolts. I can be used on a bunch of other stuff that requires just a little torquing.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terryriddle View Post
    I have been pulling an RV for well over 40 years and with each new RV, I review all the potential issues and tools I should have with me to address those issues. For example, I have a complete set of bearings, seals, a bearing packer, a compression kit for seals, both red and blue water lines and connectors, etc.

I found I also needed a FAT WRENCH that measures in inches vs pounds. I have weapons and know such a tool is used for scopes, etc. but have no idea why I ordered it for my RV just in case it was needed.

Does anyone have any idea why I needed this tool? I don't recall, but that goes with being 75.

Thanks
    The torque for the AC bolts is 30-40 inch lbs. I bought a wrench specifically for that.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of excess tools.. try owning a city home, lake home, and an RV. 3 of everything and when you sell one, lots to give away.

Used to think my car collection was hard to manage - until I sold my city stick built!
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

I spent 5 decades in the automotive repair field turning wrenches... When we retired and down sized, I sold my doubles and triple sets of tools I tend to gather.. In the past 3 yrs of retirement, I have sorta , kinda , maybe,, purchased more tools than need be?

I do not carry a bunch of extra parts for the RV. I can remedy that. Let me open up my Amazon page and .....
    2021 Solitude S Class 3540GK
    F-350 DRW Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was exactly it. For a period of time last year or before, there was a movement to change the airflow of the AC units. One had to loosen the AC bolts, etc, and then tighten them back. I called GD about the kits and it was highly not recommended. They get warranty calls due to damage caused by these kits. They explained it and it made clear sense at the time. I still have the kit if anyone wants it. They were not cheap. So now I have this tool I can use to tighten my long gun scopes and sites that tend to loosen at the range even when I use Loctite.

I appreciate all the responses!!
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    The torque for the AC bolts is 30-40 inch lbs. I bought a wrench specifically for that.
    I used my Wheeler FAT Torque Wrench to tighten the A/C bolts and stopped way before 30 in lbs. I know it's recommended but it seemed the foam compressed fine at less. 30-40 seemed way over-kill. Hope my A/C doesn't fly off while going down the road. I have more tools than I need, but not as many as I want.........................
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terryriddle View Post
    That was exactly it. For a period of time last year or before, there was a movement to change the airflow of the AC units. One had to loosen the AC bolts, etc, and then tighten them back. I called GD about the kits and it was highly not recommended. They get warranty calls due to damage caused by these kits. They explained it and it made clear sense at the time. I still have the kit if anyone wants it. They were not cheap. So now I have this tool I can use to tighten my long gun scopes and sites that tend to loosen at the range even when I use Loctite.

I appreciate all the responses!!
    Don't lose the little torque wrench, those AC mounting bolts should be checked periodically as it uses a foam gasket that gets further compressed over time.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    I used my Wheeler FAT Torque Wrench to tighten the A/C bolts and stopped way before 30 in lbs. I know it's recommended but it seemed the foam compressed fine at less. 30-40 seemed way over-kill. Hope my A/C doesn't fly off while going down the road. I have more tools than I need, but not as many as I want.........................
    Mmmmmmm... Tools... [emoji4]
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast