Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got the MORryde IS? Which hitch/kingpin combo are you using?

I got the MORryde Independant Suspension (IS) on my Momentum 351MS-R (2 axles). After the IS installation and a month-long stop at GDRV service, we towed the RV from Elkhart to SWFL (about 1,200 miles) with the RV mostly empty. When we got it home, we loaded the RV and put the golf cart in the back. Then we drove around 180 miles to our current location. On the drive home from Elkhart, I did not care much about the ride because the IS was new (so stiff) and the RV was empty.

But on the ride from SWFL to Central FL, I noticed that the RV seems to porpoise more than it used to. And at times, it almost seemed to jump sideways.

I think that part of the problem may be that we are using a Gen-Y Gooseneck Hitch which allows a lot of undampened movement at the hitch. We also do not like how hard the Gooseneck is to hitch to the truck (it stresses my wife out.)

For those two reasons, I am going to replace the Gooseneck hitch with a regular 5th wheel hitch and pin box. I am looking at the CURT and B&W 5th wheel hitches but I am not looking for advice on those.

Do any of you IS owners run an airbag hitch? I like the construction of the Curt (Lippert) Flex Air pin box. The thing that I like about it is that the airbag suspension is dampened (it has a shock). And being a 5th wheel hitch, it should be A LOT easier to hitch up.

A second option is the MORryde pin box which does not have an airbag.

So... IS owners, please let me know your experience and your hitch/pin box setup.

Thanks - B
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went from a SB truck standard hitch (DEMCO Hijacker) to a Reese gooseneck and long bed truck. BIG difference. Then we quickly added IS (in October). Another BIG difference. Like you went to and from the East coast of central FL. And I LOVE the ease of removing the ball for extra space in the bed (I don't full time tho so the hitch would come out for use of the full bed a lot of times).

The difference between the goosebox & long bed vs. the SB and standard hitch was remarkable. I really like my gooseneck. Of course, unlike the Gen-Y the Reese has an air bag (adjustable) and shocks - I liked that arrangement better than what Gen-Y offered.

The difference towing with the IS is not as noticeable. Although now when we cross bumps (like RR tracks) I feel the trucks front axel cross, the back axel cross, and I wait to feel the camper axels cross but never feel anything. I like that. I don't have many miles on the IS so can't say if the camper rides any different; I always thought it had too much bounce or propoising. I'll know better after a few more trips.

Wife says no difference in ride. Bad roads cause bad rides and there are few good roads anymore - just some good spots on roads.

I had a MorRyde pin box on the SB. It helped and was better than the original Roto-Flex. I also have/had air bags on the truck(s), sometimes they help, other time not so much.

I much prefer the way DEMCO's latch than B&Ws; it just connects better than what I see on 2 of my friends B&W hitches because they are always checking the lever to make sure it is latched whereas with the DEMCO you can just hear it lock in and can look at it and the extra piece of steel latch that is across the throat of the hitch and know you are locked in.

Hitching: while maybe a bit more precise, has not been difficult at all; I can align the pin and ball using my high mount bed cam and my wife just tells me when I am over the ball (which I can usually gauge pretty well to).

You might consider the weight balance on you camper if you get porpoising, maybe too much weight in the rear?

You may be better off with an air ride hitch and a MorRyde pin box rather than some air bag pin box. Folks with those air ride hitches seem to really like them.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
    I got the MORryde Independant Suspension (IS) on my Momentum 351MS-R (2 axles). After the IS installation and a month-long stop at GDRV service, we towed the RV from Elkhart to SWFL (about 1,200 miles) with the RV mostly empty. When we got it home, we loaded the RV and put the golf cart in the back. Then we drove around 180 miles to our current location. On the drive home from Elkhart, I did not care much about the ride because the IS was new (so stiff) and the RV was empty.

But on the ride from SWFL to Central FL, I noticed that the RV seems to porpoise more than it used to. And at times, it almost seemed to jump sideways.

I think that part of the problem may be that we are using a Gen-Y Gooseneck Hitch which allows a lot of undampened movement at the hitch. We also do not like how hard the Gooseneck is to hitch to the truck (it stresses my wife out.)

For those two reasons, I am going to replace the Gooseneck hitch with a regular 5th wheel hitch and pin box. I am looking at the CURT and B&W 5th wheel hitches but I am not looking for advice on those.

Do any of you IS owners run an airbag hitch? I like the construction of the Curt (Lippert) Flex Air pin box. The thing that I like about it is that the airbag suspension is dampened (it has a shock). And being a 5th wheel hitch, it should be A LOT easier to hitch up.

A second option is the MORryde pin box which does not have an airbag.

So... IS owners, please let me know your experience and your hitch/pin box setup.

Thanks - B
    Yes, I have a Hensley BD5 hitch in a long bed dually. We added the IS in January to soften the ride for the coach, in prep for an Alaska trip. I have one short trip, and one 4500 mile trip with the IS, and can’t tell any difference in the truck from before. But then, I’ve never been able to feel the trailer hit bumps, RR tracks, or anything like that due to the air hitch and (probably partially) the MORRyde pinbox. The Hensley doesn’t have a shock, but I’m not sure it’s needed, as it dampens pretty quick. I do see why they call it a “trailer saver” now. The truck doesn’t slam the trailer when you hit bumps, and vice versa.

It’s heavy and expensive by comparison to others, but that hitch ties two very expensive toys together. Seems like something worthy of some cash, to me anyway.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMagelitz View Post
    Yes, I have a Hensley BD5 hitch in a long bed dually. The Hensley doesn’t have a shock, but I’m not sure it’s needed, as it dampens pretty quick. I do see why they call it a “trailer saver” now. The truck doesn’t slam the trailer when you hit bumps, and vice versa.

It’s heavy and expensive by comparison to others, but that hitch ties two very expensive toys together. Seems like something worthy of some cash, to me anyway.
    The BD5F (Ford puck) that I got has shocks on it. Shocks and airbags. Maybe that's a recent change, but those ordering today should have shocks (unless it's just on the Ford version?).

The Hensley is considered by most to be the "gold standard" for cushioned 5th wheel towing. Some people add to it a cushioned pin box (GenY or other), and some further add IS to that. If you have that setup; there's not much more that can be done to improve the ride other than "more truck".

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    The BD5F (Ford puck) that I got has shocks on it. Shocks and airbags. Maybe that's a recent change, but those ordering today should have shocks (unless it's just on the Ford version?).

The Hensley is considered by most to be the "gold standard" for cushioned 5th wheel towing. Some people add to it a cushioned pin box (GenY or other), and some further add IS to that. If you have that setup; there's not much more that can be done to improve the ride other than "more truck".
    My bad…when I wrote that I was thinking those were only there for the head pivoting, but they are attached to the lower framework, so yes they do dampen the vertical movement. I actually have a BD5F, because I had an F450 on order. That hitch is very easy to convert to GM. The end plates get swapped from one side to the other, and two new (shorter) front and back plates are attached. That’s why mine doesn’t have visible decals now.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59A30BE9-6976-4B6B-AA70-AAC057B5C89A.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	45577
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We traveled to MorRyde from Oregon to get the IS. There was a discussion about the old pin box and we desided to go with the MorRyde pin box. No complaints at all. The used 2016 Ram LB dually came with a factory 25K hitch (which is a Curt 25). We had a Curt 20 in the old truck, so we were already used to it.
    When leaving MorRyde, the tow was much better. No more clunking when starting or stopping. The truck still feels everything, but the Solitude is just quietly following behind us.

KEN
    Last edited by orbiker; 03-27-2023 at 11:38 AM.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've had the MORryde IS on two rigs. On our current Solitude, we are using the OEM MORryde rubber pin box and are very happy with it.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    The truck still feels everything, but the Solitude is just quietly following behind us.

KEN
    When traveling at highway speeds (70 MPH), we do not feel the RV moving around, but looking in the side view mirrors, we can see that there is constant floating movement, even on smooth roads (like small figure 8s), and when we hit some (not all) bridge abutments, the rear of the RV jumps and sometimes, pretty violently.

During our summer travel, my wife follows behind me in our Jeep. With the old suspension, she would call me and ask if everything is OK with the RV. We added the IS to calm that down. I don't think there is more jumping since adding the IS and it does seem to land softer, but the jumping is still there.

Maybe I am being overly critical, but we frequently hear that with IS the RV rides as smooth as glass, and/or nothing moves off of the counter, etc. I haven't done the counter test, maybe I should.

When we leave for Texas in a couple of weeks, I'll put a GoPro in the Jeep and have my wife video me from behind.

BTW: For now, I think I will keep the Gen-Y Goose Neck and upgrade it to the new one when it comes out in June or July. I'll use their stiffest springs on the new one. I'm told that the new model will be much easier to hook up. But then again, as I learn more, I may change my mind.... again.
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We've had the MORryde IS on two rigs. On our current Solitude, we are using the OEM MORryde rubber pin box and are very happy with it.

Rob
    Hi Rob,

Part of the reason that I want to stay with the Gen-Y is my IS was installed with it on the RV. I have 30 inches from my bed to the bottom of the RV deck when measured next to the Rhino wings. That provides about 8 inches of bed rail clearance (which I like) and the RV rides nearly perfectly level (13' 6.25" at the front AC and 13' 6" at the rear AC).

The puck system 5th wheel hitches that I researched (Curt and B&W) max out at 17" for the Curt and 18.75 for the B&W. I'm not 100% sure I can get back to the 30" of space that I need (want.)

-B
    Last edited by BrokeDown; 03-27-2023 at 02:01 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post

Rob
    Rob, I' seriously considering installing the MORryde IS and disc brake upgrade for my 2022 Reflection 341RDS. I was trying to find anyone else who did this upgrade to a 341RDS on this forum and had no luck. My question is that this mod comes with some additional weight added to the UVW. Although it's all in the running gear and not really cargo weight, how are people dealing with the reduction in cargo weight capacity relative to the GD sticker GVWR. The salesperson at MORryde couldn't answer my question.
    Bill
    2021 C-2500HD Duramax; B&W Champion; Reese Airborne Sidewinder
    2022 341RDS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast