User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post
    Being retired and having as much time as needed for travel, I set RV Trip Wizard to calculate 5 hours driving time at 65 MPH and use that as my target for a day’s travel. It is a comfortable length of time on the road for me and a comfortable speed to tow the RV. Years ago I would go a lot further in a day but that was with time constraints because of being on vacation or weekend travels meaning we had to get back in time for work. You have to do what is comfortable for you, not what someone else is comfortable with.

It's almost impossible to keep a steady speed because the interstates are a series of never ending hills. Where it is relatively flat, I'll cruise at 65 once I get up to 66-67 which is the trucks shift point. I learned pretty quickly that I couldn't keep up with the big rigs going up an incline so I'll grab some momentum on the prior downhill and bleed off as little on the next uphill trying to keep above 59 which is the TV's other shift point. Ideally 250-300 miles max with a 1 night, 1 night, 2 night rhythm.

I set RVTW to an average speed of 55 because I have yet to drive an interstate that did not have construction delays. We try to arrive before 3pm. And like @SGT ROC, I do all the driving. DW won't even drive the TV and she used to drive half-tracks. Partially my fault as years ago, I asked her to spell me in the 2500 and sure enough, construction and really tight lanes through Jacksonville. First pull-off and I was back behind the wheel. Seems every time she took the wheel, blinding snow squall out of nowhere or insane construction.

Without RV, I will do longer - 16 hours last month coming back from NC to NH. That's just I want to be in my own bed-itis.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that we've had two blow-outs with China bombs on one trip and lots of damage to fix, husband stays between 60-65mph, used to push between 65 and 70mph. We are in our early 50's, but not sure why that matters. We feel the journey is often just as fun/important as the destination, especially when you don't get to get away very often. Most of our freeways have more than one lane, so if someone doesn't like how slow we go, they have options!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always drive 65mph or below or around 100kmh
    2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
    2023 F-350 7.3 XLT Crew Cab

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wind resistance really makes a difference the faster you go. On a recent trip we were getting 7.5 mpg at 65-70 and 9.3 when I kept it at 60 or less. That doesn't sound like much when fuel economy is so crappy towing, but it's around a 24% increase. Between the fact that i'm retired and don't really care how long the trip takes, and the fact that I'm less stressed hanging out in the right lane and letting others pass me than dealing with passing the trucks only to have them on my butt on the downhills, I generally keep it down around 60.
    2021 Imagine 22mle

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post

. And like @SGT ROC, I do all the driving. DW won't even drive the TV and she used to drive half-tracks. Partially my fault as years ago, I asked her to spell me in the 2500 and sure enough, construction and really tight lanes through Jacksonville. First pull-off and I was back behind the wheel. Seems every time she took the wheel, blinding snow squall out of nowhere or insane construction.
    My wife used to drive school bus for a few years. She annually pulls the utility trailer with two ATV's on it with her car for a long weekend camping trip with several of our friends. She will drive the truck by itself, but hates it. I don't think any of our friends wives have ever pulled their rigs, and at least two of them would be a hard NO.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    My wife used to drive school bus for a few years. She annually pulls the utility trailer with two ATV's on it with her car for a long weekend camping trip with several of our friends. She will drive the truck by itself, but hates it. I don't think any of our friends wives have ever pulled their rigs, and at least two of them would be a hard NO.
    She drove the 3500 once on 95 in NC/VA. That was it. Just not comfortable in traffic with the size. Yet we went through three Suburbans and I'm pretty sure she used to pull daughter's horse trailer on occasion but I'm not going to force it. The lanes do seem to be getting a bit more narrow.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I'm doing 250-300 miles to get to a destination, I'll do 58-62, 350 or more I kick it to 65-68. Being in California, speed limits towing is 55. I'll do 58-62 till we get out of state-one hour in one direction, 3 hours in the other. And it is two lane in either direction.
    We frequently travel to or thru Oregon. I get the speed limit of 55 on two lane highways & 65 on four lanes, But speed signs say 65 & 55 for trucks. DW says we should adhere to the 55mph limit, I'm on the 65 side-"but we're towing" she says, I say we are not a real truck-tractors pulling trailers are real trucks...at least in Oregon (& it's my ticket if I'm wrong). Argh!!!
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We travel at the slower pace. Most of the time we are on 2 lane smaller highways and try to stay off the interstate. I'll set the cruise for 56, 58, 60 or 62, depending on the scenery and traffic behind us. I will slow down at a passing lane so that others can get around. I will even pull off the road in a wide spot if it's paved and long enough.
    We are full timer's and retired. Some moving days, we are only moving 50 miles to the next place (like this coming Wednesday).
    There is no reason to be in a hurry for us. What. We get there 10 or 20 minutes after the person that was in a hurry.

KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's more discussion on the towing speed topic ..

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...u-tow-your-rig
    signature

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How fast do you tow?

Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    While discussing our move from The Ranch (SE NM) to Graham Cave SP (70 miles west of St. Louis) with some of the guys, I was asked how far it was and how long was I going to take. The distance is about 1000 miles, and I said that we would need five travel days for that. One of the more experienced travelers almost laughed at me. He said he would need only two travel days for that distance. Then he asked how fast I travel. I said I set the cruise for about 60. Again, he laughed. He normally drives about 70 with is Airstream.

He's a few years older than me, and has far more miles under his belt than I do, but I still think he goes too fast and too far in one day. What do the rest of you full-timers do? Am I too slow?
    As others have said, you drive at whatever speed you feel comfortable at period. Never let anyone goad you into driving outside your comfort zone or feel bad about how you travel. Do what makes you feel safe and comfortable.

We are not fiulltimrrs either and drive between 60 and 65 (try to keep it in the middle). I have plenty of truck for my rig and could go faster, but, if anything is going to go wrong, I want time to think and react.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast