User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How fast do you tow?

While discussing our move from The Ranch (SE NM) to Graham Cave SP (70 miles west of St. Louis) with some of the guys, I was asked how far it was and how long was I going to take. The distance is about 1000 miles, and I said that we would need five travel days for that. One of the more experienced travelers almost laughed at me. He said he would need only two travel days for that distance. Then he asked how fast I travel. I said I set the cruise for about 60. Again, he laughed. He normally drives about 70 with is Airstream.

He's a few years older than me, and has far more miles under his belt than I do, but I still think he goes too fast and too far in one day. What do the rest of you full-timers do? Am I too slow?
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    While discussing our move from The Ranch (SE NM) to Graham Cave SP (70 miles west of St. Louis) with some of the guys, I was asked how far it was and how long was I going to take. The distance is about 1000 miles, and I said that we would need five travel days for that. One of the more experienced travelers almost laughed at me. He said he would need only two travel days for that distance. Then he asked how fast I travel. I said I set the cruise for about 60. Again, he laughed. He normally drives about 70 with is Airstream.

He's a few years older than me, and has far more miles under his belt than I do, but I still think he goes too fast and too far in one day. What do the rest of you full-timers do? Am I too slow?
    You are just fine! Whatever is just comfortable for you. Ignore what other people say and do because it's different for them. Me, I have a 4/6 rule no more than 400 miles and 6 hours in a day. It comes down to what you're most comfortable with. I'm comfortable towing my rig at between 65 and 75, but I've been towing for 30 plus years. It also depends a lot on the train if I'm driving through the high country in Colorado, I'll do much slower than the posted speed limit. I know if I lose control on one of the curves, I'm toast.

So ignore what "the guys" say and do. If you pass them on the side of the road you'll be the last one laughing. Remember, it's about the journey not the destination.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a full timer but I have no issue running 70 if the traffic permits. 1000 miles is a 2 day trip for me. Our vacations are a limited time so I want to get there asap.

Full timing changes the game. No rush really and 60 would save a bunch in fuel costs
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll give you a quick example. I need to be in Kerrville, TX, in 2 weeks. This Saturday and Sunday I'm driving from Orlando, FL to Beaumont, TX which is about 900 miles. I'm taking a little over 6 hours each day to drive about 450 miles and because I work full time, I stay in Beaumont, Monday through Friday, to work and then leave on Saturday to drive to Kerrville, which is another 450 miles.

I have planned 6 to 8 hours each day for drive time so I can rest as needed and don't get too tired. Timewise, it's a little longer than I had hoped. But I have to be there in this tight timeline. The wife does not drive so she does her best to entertain me with trivia questions, however she's not with me on this trip as she flew to Denver for medical test and is flying to San Antonio after I get to Kerrville. So yes, this trip is going to take longer time wise, but I will be safer and traveling slower.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've been towing for 20 years.
    After retirement we limit to 250 miles, going 55 to 60 mph. No need to hurry, we stay at least 2 nights at every stop unless there's absolutely nothing to do in a location.
    2021 Imagine 2670MK
    2021 F250, 7.3 with a 10 speed transmission
    Armor All on the tires, color coordinated floor mats.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep it under 70mph. 9am to 3 maybe 4 pm. 325miles to 425miles. 2 days back to back then stay put for 2 days. But really its what keeps you coming back for more!!
    1st 5er- 2006 titanium 32/37. current 5er-2021 Solitude 310GKR
    1st camper-2001 Lance slide in
    1st truck-2001 chevy silverado 2500 HD 8.1 vortec-Allison trans. current truck-2011 chevy silverado HD duramax, allison LTZ

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Faster than parked cars, as fast as whats in my lane, and slower than my copilots threshold of rage.....

Typically makes for a comfortable pain free trip! Dont want any DWA's..... "Darling Wife Attitude".
    Last edited by trailrydr; 03-24-2023 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Clarity
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Depends on road , weather situation how fast I run. I am usually the guy with a 5th wheel that people are passing. 68 - 70 mph on flat ground if I have wind behind me or no wind (which is seldom). A head wind: I will slow down because of MPG.

Years ago on motorcycle road trips a 1,000 mile day was common for us. The 1800 Goldwing motorcycle will run 35 or 95mph for hours, the Goldwing dont seem to care.
    Last edited by Tony_in_AZ; 03-25-2023 at 12:29 PM.
    2021 Solitude S Class 3540GK
    F-350 DRW Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    70mph, 6-7 hours now since we got the dually (much more stress free).
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm another guy who sets the cruise at 60 mph when we are towing, so you're not alone. We are not full timers, but several reasons for taking it easy. Fuel economy is one, and I find the slower pace more relaxing. We are usually on uncrowded highways where faster traffic can freely move past us. I'll step it up if I need to blend with traffic. For trip planning, I target 300 miles per day +/-50. It's all personal preferences, so do what you enjoy and works for you.
    2023 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast