User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of all of the posts about towing speed, this was by far my favorite ..

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post441880
    signature

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chillybob View Post
    Trailer size and tow vehicle fit are very important as well as driver ability.
    Yep for sure. As we know most people overestimate their ability. It’s important to recognize that none of us are perfect and can improve our driving in some way. 99% of the time people are thinking they’ve great drivers and doing a wonderful job just before they cause a crash (and sometimes they continue to think that way afterward).
    2022 Reflection 150 278BH
    2023 Silverado 2500HD Gas
    “If you like how it tows, don’t change anything.”

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all of you who contributed to this discussion. Someone mentioned that they run closer to 65 because their truck (similar to mine) seems happier there. I tried that on our last travel day, and saw very little change in rpm. I think that there may have been a little less downshifting, but that could also be the road.

I think I'll generally keep the cruise on 60 unless there is a reason to go faster or slower. That makes for fairly easy guessing as to how long it will take to get from here to there.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    Thanks to all of you who contributed to this discussion. Someone mentioned that they run closer to 65 because their truck (similar to mine) seems happier there. I tried that on our last travel day, and saw very little change in rpm. I think that there may have been a little less downshifting, but that could also be the road.

I think I'll generally keep the cruise on 60 unless there is a reason to go faster or slower. That makes for fairly easy guessing as to how long it will take to get from here to there.
    My truck has a sweet spot where it doesn't downshift as much and that seems to be about 62-64mph or 100-104kmh. Of course that's on fairly flat terrain with a normal breeze.
    2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
    2023 F-350 7.3 XLT Crew Cab

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're full time Rv'ers now, fully retired, military, teamsters, County equipment operations trainer, SSA. We're doing alright financially, but to put our 5th wheel toy hauler through the earth quake with the three axle leaf sprung rig, is insanely expensive to restore the wear and tear annually. We're good for 300-400 miles @ 60mph @ <10mpg avg. @ $4.50+ /gal @20,000gvwr RV towed with a diesel .You drive your rig as you see fit.
    Bob and Robin US Navy retired
    2019 RAM 3500 4X4 Dually
    2023 Momentum 376ths
    Indian Pursuit Dark Horse ICON

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually go around 65 for a max of 4 hours. But campground stops control how many hours I drive. Finding a decent spot to stop for an overnight is not that easy to do. I like to do one overnight and the next stop will be for a few nights.
    Raymond, Dee Dee and Sophie (Yorkie)
    2023 Chevrolet 2500HD LT 4X4
    2024 Grand Design Reflection 296RDST

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
    I usually go around 65 for a max of 4 hours. But campground stops control how many hours I drive. Finding a decent spot to stop for an overnight is not that easy to do. I like to do one overnight and the next stop will be for a few nights.
    Good Morning.
    When we're going to be traveling, my wife will usually organize all of our reservations in advance for the very reason you noted. She'll research any areas of interest and adjust our stay accordingly. We've suffered the overnight check-in woes as well.

Bob and Robin
    Bob and Robin US Navy retired
    2019 RAM 3500 4X4 Dually
    2023 Momentum 376ths
    Indian Pursuit Dark Horse ICON

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboybob56 View Post
    Good Morning.
    When we're going to be traveling, my wife will usually organize all of our reservations in advance for the very reason you noted. She'll research any areas of interest and adjust our stay accordingly. We've suffered the overnight check-in woes as well.

Bob and Robin
    We do the same now. I like to keep it 65 or less now to reduce some of the road damage to the rig. The roads are pretty bad in most places especially over and under pass seams that can beat the stuffing out of your suspension.
    2022 Silverado 3500 SRW 4x4 Crew Cab Duramax with BW OEM non slide hitch
    2022 Reflection 31MB w custom 7000# axles, dual panhard rods and G rate tires.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just came back from the Albuquerque Balloon fest in NM a few weeks ago and averaged about 81 MPH towing the fiver. It's around 500 miles and an easy tow with the Duramax. My truck's sweet spot is 75-85 MPH all through the mountains. Tow to your comfort level for sure but just remember to use the left lane for passing to keep the traffic flows moving.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COGrandDes View Post
    We just came back from the Albuquerque Balloon fest in NM a few weeks ago and averaged about 81 MPH towing the fiver. It's around 500 miles and an easy tow with the Duramax. My truck's sweet spot is 75-85 MPH all through the mountains. Tow to your comfort level for sure but just remember to use the left lane for passing to keep the traffic flows moving.
    Wow, So your that guy. Bad thing can happen reel fast at 85 mph. If you want to endanger yourself that your business but at 85 mph you could be endangering other on the road also.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast