User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anybody have experience with air skirts for cold weather?

Air skirts look like they would work for long stay at a cold destination, however big bucks for a complete skirt around. Im thinking about swimming pool cover supports for skirting my camper. They come in about the same sizes but I would guess not as durable, but a lot less expensive. Donhasies pool supply has them. Any experience with inflatable skirts for campers?
    1st 5er- 2006 titanium 32/37. current 5er-2021 Solitude 310GKR
    1st camper-2001 Lance slide in
    1st truck-2001 chevy silverado 2500 HD 8.1 vortec-Allison trans. current truck-2011 chevy silverado HD duramax, allison LTZ

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LanerC View Post
    Air skirts look like they would work for long stay at a cold destination, however big bucks for a complete skirt around. Im thinking about swimming pool cover supports for skirting my camper. They come in about the same sizes but I would guess not as durable, but a lot less expensive. Donhasies pool supply has them. Any experience with inflatable skirts for campers?
    Anything that doesn't completely block off the underside from wind and cold will be ineffective. The air skirts, last I looked at them, left the area between the wheels open.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Anything that doesn't completely block off the underside from wind and cold will be ineffective. The air skirts, last I looked at them, left the area between the wheels open.
    Thanks! Good point.
    1st truck-2001 chevy silverado 2500 HD 8.1 vortec-Allison trans. current truck-2011 chevy silverado HD duramax, allison LTZ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you ever tried using inflatable swimming pool cover supports as a cost-effective alternative to expensive air skirts for your camper?

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at them when we were thinking about skirting. One of my concerns was the number of sharp edges, protruding screws, metal fender skirting turned up at the sharp corners, sewer pipe brackets - you get the idea - around the perimeter of our 310. I'm sure I would have one or more holes in inflatable skirting in short order. Another consideration for any kind of skirting is the bulk if you plan on packing up and moving the rig. Where do you store and carry that kind of bulk?

In the final analysis, with dual pane windows and supplementing with the fireplace and one portable heater, we go through precious little propane in the winter, anyway (we usually winter in southern NM or in the upper Chesapeake area at Aberdeen Proving Ground) where the winters are nearly as harsh as yours in central Montana. We stay quite comfortable and the added expense (and trouble) of skirting is not worth it for us. I'm sure your situation is different up where you are.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I looked at them when we were thinking about skirting. One of my concerns was the number of sharp edges, protruding screws, metal fender skirting turned up at the sharp corners, sewer pipe brackets - you get the idea - around the perimeter of our 310. I'm sure I would have one or more holes in inflatable skirting in short order. Another consideration for any kind of skirting is the bulk if you plan on packing up and moving the rig. Where do you store and carry that kind of bulk?

In the final analysis, with dual pane windows and supplementing with the fireplace and one portable heater, we go through precious little propane in the winter, anyway (we usually winter in southern NM or in the upper Chesapeake area at Aberdeen Proving Ground) where the winters are nearly as harsh as yours in central Montana. We stay quite comfortable and the added expense (and trouble) of skirting is not worth it for us. I'm sure your situation is different up where you are.

Rob
    whoops, just saw this, Rob. Your response helps me to know what to expect in cold weather. Thanks! Happy Camping!

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whoops, just saw this, Rob. Your response helps me to know what to expect in cold weather. Thanks! Happy Camping!
    Looking back at what you quoted, I see I should have said "...aren't nearly as harsh..." I hope folks caught that it was a typo...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Looking back at what you quoted, I see I should have said "...aren't nearly as harsh..." I hope folks caught that it was a typo...

Rob
    That does make a difference,ha ha, but I figured that. Have a great day. Lane

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That does make a difference,ha ha, but I figured that. Have a great day. Lane
    If you do end up going with skirting, let us know what you used and how it worked out. Could help someone in the future.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw one person using them at a trial. When the wind picked up, I helped him recover and stow them.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast