User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TPMS Saved My Behind, Twice!

Well, My TST TPMS saved my bacon, twice today. First time (two alerts) on I-10 West bound in Florida, I got a strange high temp alert of 331° on my rear right trailer tire. I slowed way down, pulled off at the next exit and inspected the tire, I didn't see anything wrong with it and the warning went away as I was driving. Then, about 5 minutes after taking off, it alerted again with a fast air leak. I pulled over at a rest area, inspected the tire, and as I stood back up, it popped. Out come the tools, I slapped the Westlake spare on, torqued the lugs and headed out.

Next, and 15 minutes later, same side, front tire gets a fast leak alert. Time to call a mobile tire service. So, here I am on the side of I-10. They are almost done, thankfully, and about $700.00 later, I'm on my way.

The picture of the first tire. Never saw one split like that!

Attachment 45561
    Last edited by MoonShadow_1911; 03-25-2023 at 08:02 PM.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Well, My TST TPMS saved my bacon, twice today. First time (two alerts) on I-10 West bound in Florida, I got a strange high temp alert of 331° on my rear right trailer tire. I slowed way down, pulled off at the next exit and inspected the tire, I didn't see anything wrong with it and the warning went away as I was driving. Then, about 5 minutes after taking off, it alerted again with a fast air leak. I pulled over at a rest area, inspected the tire, and as I stood back up, it popped. Out come the tools, I slapped the Westlake spare on, torqued the lugs and headed out.

Next, and 15 minutes later, same side, front tire gets a fast leak alert. Time to call a mobile tire service. So, here I am on the side of I-10. They are almost done, thankfully, and about $700.00 later, I'm on my way.

The picture of the first tire. Never saw one split like that! Attachment 45551
    Can't see the attachment Mark. Did it really get up to 331?
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It appears that the attachment/photo gremlin got you. If you want me to attach the pic I can PM you my email
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Can't see the attachment Mark. Did it really get up to 331?
    I doubt it, but it was the alert that saved my bacon!

Attachment fixed.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was told by the Truck service guy that it looked like dry rot. Ugh. I have an appointment next Wednesday to replace all 4 tires with new Goodyear Endurance 235/85R16's, a slight increase from the factory 235/80R16's. When I was doing research on tires, they give me about 500 more pounds of weight capacity.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I experienced a ridiculously high reading myself last summer. 334 degrees F.

I was behind a convoy of numerous construction vehicles running together traveling on an interstate and finally decided to pass them. About halfway through the pass, I got the high temperature warning from my right rear tire. The only one I can’t see at least a little bit. I immediately began trying to find a path to the right shoulder, and only when I got slowed down on the shoulder did I realize it was saying 334 degrees. I stopped and walked back to the tire, laid my hand on the one in front of it as a reference and then touched the tire that had alarmed. No difference.

By the time I got back to the truck, the temperature had returned to just over 100 degrees.

Just out of curiosity, do you have the color display or the original monochrome? Booster?

I contacted TST, and I wasn’t the first to experience this issue. They were most interested in where I was when it happened and seemed genuinely concerned but still trying to figure out the problem. I ended up speaking with them on the phone twice at their request to help them understand as much as possible.

I would encourage you to report the issue to them as a possible help in avoiding others experiencing the panic induced by a false alarm.

Also grab some lottery tickets. You are living right when your tire monitor anticipates a problem and gives you a pre-emotive warning!
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    I experienced a ridiculously high reading myself last summer. 334 degrees F.

I was behind a convoy of numerous construction vehicles running together traveling on an interstate and finally decided to pass them. About halfway through the pass, I got the high temperature warning from my right rear tire. The only one I can’t see at least a little bit. I immediately began trying to find a path to the right shoulder, and only when I got slowed down on the shoulder did I realize it was saying 334 degrees. I stopped and walked back to the tire, laid my hand on the one in front of it as a reference and then touched the tire that had alarmed. No difference.

By the time I got back to the truck, the temperature had returned to just over 100 degrees.

Just out of curiosity, do you have the color display or the original monochrome? Booster?

I contacted TST, and I wasn’t the first to experience this issue. They were most interested in where I was when it happened and seemed genuinely concerned but still trying to figure out the problem. I ended up speaking with them on the phone twice at their request to help them understand as much as possible.

I would encourage you to report the issue to them as a possible help in avoiding others experiencing the panic induced by a false alarm.

Also grab some lottery tickets. You are living right when your tire monitor anticipates a problem and gives you a pre-emotive warning!
    It's the new 770 color touch screen display with the older 507 non-passthrough sensors. If it happens again, I'll report it, for now, in chalking it up to an early warning!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the TST 507 and have read that several minutes pass between the sending units on the tires transmitting data, and the monitor receiving the signal. Is this true? I can't really think of a way to test this as I have the cap style, so no way to let air out of the tire while monitoring.

Having used the TST systems for 15 years I only had one tire issue, a blowout. The TPMS gave no indication of an issue prior to the blowout.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The TST system monitors pretty much constantly, so a problem will manifest itself as an alarm almost instantly. The blowout had good air pressure/temperature until it completely let go. The only issue with the TST system is it can take up to an hour before a lost sensor signal will alert.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    I have the TST 507 and have read that several minutes pass between the sending units on the tires transmitting data, and the monitor receiving the signal. Is this true? I can't really think of a way to test this as I have the cap style, so no way to let air out of the tire while monitoring.

Having used the TST systems for 15 years I only had one tire issue, a blowout. The TPMS gave no indication of an issue prior to the blowout.
    They cycle through sensors sending pressure and temperature at an interval on the scale of several minutes to allow for reasonable battery life. Rapid pressure changes are transmitted immediately.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast