User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    Yep, there's a noticeable difference between these and any other springs I've bought from standard trailer suppliers.

That's a bummer - especially after you have everything already apart. Ugh!! I have the CRE3000 on mine and everything fits. Can you describe what isn't compatible - I'm really curious.

Mine are indeed rated at 4K. Just a guess, even though they have the same number of leafs, they might have different thicknesses to get the different spring rate. If you want, I'll take my calipers over to my rig and measure the thicknesses of mine so we can compare.
    Do you happen to know what your Alcan springs measured eye to eye when new and what they measure now with the weight of your trailer on them? I have been chatting back and forth with MORryde and Lippert and I am afraid Lew may have sent me some springs that are a bit too long 😩They are measuring new with no weight on them at 25 5/8th. The max I am told they can safely expand out to is 26 1/4 with weight on them so that does not leave a lot of wiggle room. Now they are heavy duty springs so I do not know how much they are expected to flatten out. Before I call Lew I wanted to check with you to see what yours measured at. Thank you 🙏 I do appreciate you taking time out of your day and helping me out with this.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dexter and Lippert say 24 3/4" unloaded eye-to-eye. 26" when loaded, with 25 1/4' acceptable when unloaded. Yours measure 1/2" longer than the max recommended length, unloaded. If the springs don't flex much there won't be much spring action, so you do want them to flatten out while traveling over bumps. Figuring 25 1/4" unloaded to 26" loaded, that amounts to an increase in length of 1 3/4", which means your unloaded length of 25 5/8" could be over 27" loaded weight. That doesn't sound right to me. Seems to me that could put undue stress on the spring hangers. JMO of course.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Dexter and Lippert say 24 3/4" unloaded eye-to-eye. 26" when loaded, with 25 1/4' acceptable when unloaded. Yours measure 1/2" longer than the max recommended length, unloaded. If the springs don't flex much there won't be much spring action, so you do want them to flatten out while traveling over bumps. Figuring 25 1/4" unloaded to 26" loaded, that amounts to an increase in length of 1 3/4", which means your unloaded length of 25 5/8" could be over 27" loaded weight. That doesn't sound right to me. Seems to me that could put undue stress on the spring hangers. JMO of course.
    Thank you for your response. Yes, what you stated is precisely what Lippert told me. The thing is, I gave the guy at Alcan Springs my measurements so I’m just beside myself at this point. I was stoked to have found some American made, high quality springs and they are that and then some but they don’t do me no good if they are to long. It cost me somewhere around $180 to have those things shipped to me from CO to FL where I am at and the boxes they came in were nowhere capable of handling the weight of them springs. The boxes were destroyed upon arrival with 2 of the springs hanging out. Such a disappointment. As far as my equalizer I ordered from MORryde, they are the right size for my trailer so it appears it is the springs that are the issue.
    Last edited by CL & EC; 04-12-2023 at 04:34 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CL & EC View Post
    Do you happen to know what your Alcan springs measured eye to eye when new and what they measure now with the weight of your trailer on them?
    When I ordered my springs from Alcan, I told them, "I have four 6 leaf, 1 3/4" wide, 26" long double eye springs rated at 3500 lbs." That was the unloaded measurement and they bolted right up.

From all the other data you and @Hoopy Frood are posting, it sounds like the hangers on your Reflection are closer together than on my Momentum. Since you're in FL, it would be horrible to get the springs sent back and forth, so my suggestion would be to consider having your fore & aft spring hangers moved out from the center a little.

I know that sounds radical but, after having a couple of them break off on my previous 5th wheel, welding on new ones is a pretty common operation for most RV shops. Plus, if the hangers are not already reinforced, you could have that done at the same time. I'm guessing that modification would cost less than a round trip of spring shipping to Colorado. You'd have to check for axle & wheel clearance, but you just might have a better setup after all that?? I'd check with a *good* RV shop to see what they think.

P.S. to post pictures, look for this icon in your editing window .. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	click.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	45805 .. and then pick "From Computer" and "choose file".
    signature

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my Momentum, the flat springs I replaced were 26" eye-to-eye loaded. The new springs I got were 24 3/4" eye-to-eye unloaded. All the measurements I've read specify 26" as the loaded distance eye-to-eye. It does sound like your hangers are a bit farther apart than mine.

I just went out and measured the distance between my spring hangers to the equalizer: 30 1/4". Wet bolt hole centerline to centerline.
    Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 04-12-2023 at 05:04 PM.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CL & EC View Post
    Such a disappointment. As far as my equalizer I ordered from MORryde, they are the right size for my trailer so it appears it is the springs that are the issue.
    Since I hadn't heard back, were you able to resolve the spring/equalizer fitting problem?
    signature

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    Since I hadn't heard back, were you able to resolve the spring/equalizer fitting problem?
    Yes, the equalizer's were the right fit. The problem was with the leaf springs from Alcan Springs. They measured 25 5/8" center eye to center eye leaving less than a 1/2" for them to expand with weight on them. Also, Lew ensured me when we spoke on the phone prior to me paying for them that they were rated for 3,500 lbs. but come to find out they were rated for 4,000 lbs. Now, with your Momentum, I'm sure these would be just fine and desirable but with my Reflection, they were too long and they would have been too stiff. I mean, those springs are no joke! I think you could drop them off a 10 story building and they would make a crater in the ground and the springs would walk away without a scratch. So, the quality of the springs were top notch. However, what was wrong is that I provided to him the max measurement the springs could be along with the rating capacity and he still sent me those. He (Lew) was the nicest guy until I told him they wouldn't fit, and then he flipped script on me quick. I don't get it. I was nothing but respectful with him but it seems to be a common response according to the reviews I read after my experience. Anyhow, he ended up doing the right thing and refunded me everything including the shipping cost out to me and shipping back to his shop. So in the end it worked out. After that I just went with the standard 4 leaf 3,000 lb. rated springs. I had them v-braces as well welded in, installed the MORryde All Trek 4000 equalizers on and got some new wheels while I was at it : )
    CL & EC
    2017 F-250 CC Diesel
    2018 Grand Design 311BHS

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, crap, I'm sorry that was such a cluster. The main reason I've recommended Alcan is because of the same thing you noticed - the material used for the springs (and the clamp components) is very noticeably stronger. One of my 4x4 friends had Lew do the springs on his Tundra to make up for this monster camper he put on it and they've worked out for him as well.

I'm glad Alcan refunded you, though.

I'd guess that 4000# springs would be quite a bit too stiff for a Reflection. It's pretty easy to get my Momentum to the 14K limit, so having some headroom with the springs is kind of comforting.

Thanks for letting me know what happened. "Talk" to you later!
    signature

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234