User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I already have an inverter that powers only the residential refrigerator. My plan is to replace that with a larger one that can also handle the microwave. I'd rather keep the converter and inverter separate. That might cost a few dollars more initially, but when one of them dies I only have to replace that one, rather than both.

I talked to GD today, and they said the solar controller can be replaced under warranty, but it has to be done by either a dealer or mobile mechanic. No cost to me for a dealer to do it, but I'd have to pay the service charge for the mobile mechanic. We'll be near Bill Thomas the end of June, so I'll see if I can schedule it for then.

The other question, though, is whether I'm going to want to replace the controller with an upgraded one anyway when I add more solar panels and batteries. If so, I may as well just buy that part now, unless there is a good reason not to.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They know!!!

I've talked to GD about the Furrion solar controller and need to talk to Bill Thomas to see about scheduling the work when we're in the area in July. I've also talked to one of the two companies that were recommended to me for upgrading our solar and battery setup.

This morning I went out to switch the controller from sealed to lithium, like I do every morning. Today, though, it was already on lithium. That controller knows I'm thinking about replacing it, so it has decided to play nice. They know!
    David Lininger, kb0zke

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine doesn’t know yet 😀. Switched it back to lithium this morning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the same issue with 2 different furrion controllers. Finally gave up and restored to original. I suspect the controller but don't want to spend money on non returnable upgrade parts. I only boondock once a year for 3 weeks and have a generator to help keep battery charged at night, If someone comes up wiyh a solution I'd sure like to hear about it

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    We have a solar panel on the roof, a Furrion MPPT controller in the pass-through, and two LiFePO4 batteries on the tongue. The controller can be set for three different types of batteries, including Lithium. Each morning I go out to check the propane and set the solar controller to Lithium. Isn't it supposed to stay where it is set?

Most likely this fall or winter I'm going to add additional solar panels and batteries. I'm guessing that I'll probably need to upgrade the controller at that time, too. Maybe the new one will either be Li only or stay where it is set.
    I had the same issue, but with sealed batteries. Took it back to my dealer and they found the controller was defective. It was replaced, no issues since.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    We have a solar panel on the roof, a Furrion MPPT controller in the pass-through, and two LiFePO4 batteries on the tongue. The controller can be set for three different types of batteries, including Lithium. Each morning I go out to check the propane and set the solar controller to Lithium. Isn't it supposed to stay where it is set?

Most likely this fall or winter I'm going to add additional solar panels and batteries. I'm guessing that I'll probably need to upgrade the controller at that time, too. Maybe the new one will either be Li only or stay where it is set.
    It sounds like you need an upgrade on your converter/ charger since
    your using lithium batteries now. When ever anyone mentions Furrion products, I can't help but look at my useless oven. Worst excuse for a oven ever. None of the heat controls or temperature readouts have any degree of accuracy and the temperature fluctuates constantly. I could say more, but suffice to say that I feel like Furrion products are basically junk. I run a Epever tracer AN series mppt controller rated for 30 amps with a nice MT50 remote controller. It is fed by two 190 watt solar panels on the roof. Once set for Lithium batteries, it stays set. Its fully programmable and is a nice monitor inside the coach with easy access and viewing. Most everyone here will recommend replacing your converter when upgrading to Lithium. I'm not sure if GD has put more functional converters in their RVs to date. Mine is a 2019 303 rls. I also use two 100 watt suitcase solar panels with their own controller and have an excellent Magnum inverter/charger and three 100 AH Lithium batteries. We snowbird in AZ and boondock for a week at a time between staying at RV resorts with FHU. I never need to run a generator when boondocking with all that sunshine!
    Alan and Paula
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS, 2004 Dodge 3500 5.9L
    Magnum 2k watt inverter-charger, 300 AH Battle Born battery bank, 560 watt solar power. 6K axles and disc brakes. Pepwave max transit cellular router.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question to anyone that has bought a new trailer recently and have this issue.

Has anyone had luck with leveraging the dealer via warranty to either changing the charge controller out for a different brand or even some $$ back or credit?

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you contacted Grand Design yet ? Sometimes they can nudge the dealer into correcting the issue. Had this started while still under warranty?

Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I talked to GD last week. They said to have a dealer replace the controller. Just let them know which dealer. Tomorrow promises to be a pretty quiet day at the park, so I'm going to do some troubleshooting on my own first. Then Tuesday we're going into town for some shopping and I'll stop at Bill Thomas to see if I can get on the schedule for the end of June, when we'll be back in the area again.

Someone on another thread mentioned that their controller was wired incorrectly (battery and solar panel leads were reversed). I'm going to get out the manual and see if that might be the problem with mine. If it is I think I can correct it myself.
    David Lininger, kb0zke

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had this same problem and called the GD service line and told the service technician what I was seeing. Charge controller switching to sealed battery. GD had me contact Furrion and I was sent a new controller. That one did not function so Furrion sent me another one. That one worked in that it stayed on Lithium. However, I was seeing very little charge. Furrion sent me a new solar panel. That fixed my problem and everything worked. Now the rub, the new designed solar panel is smaller footprint than the old version. I could only use the front mounting holes but with self leveling sealant and eternabond I was able to patch the old holes and mount the panel.

I am not sure if I can post the names and email addresses but both GD and Furrion were extremely helpful!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast