User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Short story time. If you don't want to read the whole thing, the punchline is that GD hooked up my Furion MPPT 25A solar controller backwards.

Purchased our 2022 GD Imagine 2400BH in Oct. 2021. It came with solar already installed. The dealer did the usual AGM battery. I noticed that the battery could not keep up with the furnace at all, so I decided to install two Weize LiFePO4 batteries inside a Torklift Powerarmor Locking Battery Box I mounted to the tongue. I also added the Victron battery monitor. It powered up great and the batteries were wonderful.

But we were on shore power usually. Because they mounted the solar charge controller to the roof of the pass-through, you can’t see the indicator lights unless you get down and look up. Guess what, the red light was on indicating: battery leads reversed (no), PV reversed, battery overcharged (no), battery disconnected.

They did put red and black leads on their wire runs and they were properly connected (not getting negative voltage). But then I really confused myself. I was getting 22V off the battery leads and thought that I had somehow connected them in series. But no, they were reading 13.1 V at the box. I went home scratching my head (I know, you guys are saying “DUH!!!”).

I went to tell my wife about my troubles and the light went off in my head. Ran back and switched the leads. GD tech had connected the battery leads to the solar input and the solar leads to the battery input.

Luckily, so far none of the other Furrion problems that others have been describing in this thread.

Brian

2022 GD Imagine 2400BH
    2022 Grand Design 2400BH
    2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if all I want to do is replace the lead acid battery with a 100ah lithium, I'm going to run into all types of issues. That's just great!
    2022 Reflection 303RLS
    2021 Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ Crew Cab 4x4
    Blue Ox 5th wheel goose ball hitch/B&W turnover

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by #1BamaFan View Post
    So if all I want to do is replace the lead acid battery with a 100ah lithium, I'm going to run into all types of issues. That's just great!
    Replacing your converter charger is an upgrade that many make. If I'm not mistaken, most stock chargers are not only incompatible with lithium battery charging parameters, they are also typically only 1 stage chargers, instead of 3 stage. Actually, if you want to just change the battery to Lithium and are not wanting to install solar and an inverter, it's really a simple job to change out your charger/converter. There are many mods and improvements we make to our RVs to improve things on the rig. Many components that are stock, just don't measure up on quality or longevity issues, or are needed to fit the lifestyle of camping and traveling.
    Alan and Paula
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS, 2004 Dodge 3500 5.9L
    Magnum 2k watt inverter-charger, 300 AH Battle Born battery bank, 560 watt solar power. 6K axles and disc brakes. Pepwave max transit cellular router.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably if you just "replace the lead acid battery with a 100ah lithium" everything would be fine. It actually is that simple most of the time.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is this a problem? I ran a 206AH SOK battery for 1.5 years with the OEM converter/charger. Had absolutely no issues. This was the 22MLE that did not have solar or lithium charger. Sure, it didn't charge the battery to 100%. But it didn't damage it and I still had a lot more capacity than the lead acid could provide.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that if everything is hooked up correctly, it should be fine. But (as noted in other parts of this thread), the installed charge controller probably doesn't have a Li mode, so it will only charge to 80-90% when hooked to shore power (or generator). My solar charge controller will top the battery off to 100% if I have good sun. But even if you can charge to 80% that is still more available power than your lead acid battery. (Just as Chad just said :-)
    2022 Grand Design 2400BH
    2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, it just seems like every thread I read about switching to lithium says I've got to start swapping out parts. I'm not real savvy on electronics, but if you need an engine rebuild or body work done, I've done that before. Thanks to those that put my mind at ease about this.
    2022 Reflection 303RLS
    2021 Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ Crew Cab 4x4
    Blue Ox 5th wheel goose ball hitch/B&W turnover

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you need an engine rebuild or body work done
    Next time you're in NH let me know, I have some body work waiting for you
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, it just seems like every thread I read about switching to lithium says I've got to start swapping out parts. I'm not real savvy on electronics, but if you need an engine rebuild or body work done, I've done that before. Thanks to those that put my mind at ease about this.
    Yeah, that all has to do with what one does once they see the potential of lithium, solar, etc. You start out just swapping the battery and next thing you know, you're upgrading chargers, adding inverters, solar panels, and next thing you know you're buying lithium cells and building your own batteries.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234