User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lithium battery protection

I'm going to swap out my lead acid for a 100ah lithium battery. I've been looking at SOK and AO Lithium batteries. I MAY do 2 100ah in parallel but I'm still undecided on that. I've read hours of threads and posts about the swap. But, there is one thing I don't understand. If the battery has a low temp charge protector, do I still need to worry about my solar panel trying to charge during freezing temps?

Would it be best after winterizing to just disconnect the battery? Also, can the battery be in storage in freezing conditions not hooked to any power source, and still be ok?
    2022 Reflection 303RLS
    2021 Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ Crew Cab 4x4
    Blue Ox 5th wheel goose ball hitch/B&W turnover

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by #1BamaFan View Post
    I'm going to swap out my lead acid for a 100ah lithium battery. I've been looking at SOK and AO Lithium batteries. I MAY do 2 100ah in parallel but I'm still undecided on that. I've read hours of threads and posts about the swap. But, there is one thing I don't understand. If the battery has a low temp charge protector, do I still need to worry about my solar panel trying to charge during freezing temps?

Would it be best after winterizing to just disconnect the battery? Also, can the battery be in storage in freezing conditions not hooked to any power source, and still be ok?
    I have the heated SOK 206AH Batteries. They have a low temperature cut off. They will not operate below a given temperature. So even if your panels are sending a charge the battery will not accept it. For long term storage below -6c it is recommended to bring them into a heated space.
    Cambridge, Ontario, Canada Eh!
    2018 303RLS
    2008 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you replace any other components in your system and do you have solar?
    2022 Reflection 303RLS
    2021 Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ Crew Cab 4x4
    Blue Ox 5th wheel goose ball hitch/B&W turnover

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you replace any other components in your system and do you have solar?
    I am in the process of upgrading the whole system. My goal is to have the RV operate off the grid. To that end the system will include 900w of solar on the roof. 400w of portable ground solar. Three 206AH SOK batteries and a Multiplus II to power the RV and charge the batteries via a generator if required. The results of bench testing so far have me pretty excited about the setup. Should know better once it is installed later this spring.
    Cambridge, Ontario, Canada Eh!
    2018 303RLS
    2008 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_303RLS View Post
    I have the heated SOK 206AH Batteries. They have a low temperature cut off. They will not operate below a given temperature. So even if your panels are sending a charge the battery will not accept it. For long term storage below -6c it is recommended to bring them into a heated space.
    With the heaters, isn't any wattage sent to the battery diverted to the battery heaters to increase the battery to a temp where they can be charged?
    Tim
    2020 Reflection 320MKS, Sidewinder Hitch
    2003 2500HD Silverado Duramax, Sumo springs, Hawk Brake Pads

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with other statements. Unless you're planning to travel North for the winter you won't have to worry about bringing in your batteries. Batteries that have low temp cutoff will not accept a charge so no problem there. Also, you don't have to be in a hurry to add other components. My 206AH SOK has been running just fine on the OEM converter/charger for 1.5 years. Including the previous RV that didn't have solar or lithium compatible charger. The new trailer has 12v fridge so included solar and lithium charger, but I'll be replacing with more solar, Victron inverter (and a host of other stuff), and in the process of building my own battery packs now. It all started with just replacing the original crappy lead acid battery with the SOK. You never know where it will lead you...
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As other have previous said, if it has a low temp protector then it will prevent it from being charged. If you are entertaining already going to 2 x 100ah then I'd just go directly to 1 x 200ah. You'll save $, space and cabling. As for storing, if you in a place where you have to winterise the rig, then I would disconnect it and bring it inside. Also, make sure that the SOC is at 50 or 60% (I know BB says 100% but every other manufacturer says otherwise).
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_303RLS View Post
    I think it's important to note that lithium batteries with a low temperature cut off will stop a charge from coming IN to the battery, but you can still get the voltage OUT of the battery (above 0*F). It will still power 12VDC devices. Additionally, just because the outside ambient temperature is below the cut off temperature does not mean that your space in your trailer is at that temperature. My furnace tends to keep my storage area "much" warmer than the ambient temperature.
    (Ordered 7/13/20) 2021 Solitude 310GK, FBP, DP, HP, Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes
    Built 9/9/20; To Paint 9/11/20 (5-6 weeks); Done Paint 10/1/20; MORryde axle upgrade 10/5/20; Done at MORryde and paid for 10/8/20; Arrived at Dealer 10/20/20; picked up 11/7/20