User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie Question - Battery Disconnect

My wife and I have just purchased our first ever travel trailer. It’s a 2023 GD Imagine 17MKE.
    My question is whether or not I should use the battery disconnect switch when I use an electrical hookup?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure I fully understand your question, buy as far as I'm concerned, the battery disconnect switch is totally useless. I learned that the hard way. I had incorrectly thougt that by pulling the disconnect switch that i could keep my battery from discharging. Unfortunately there are a few parasitic drains in the trailer, like from the propane and smoke detectors, that keep drawing power even though the switch is open. So I don’t bother with it anymore. If I want to cut the DC power in the trailer I disconnect the battery and unplug the AC power cord.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPoppa View Post
    My wife and I have just purchased our first ever travel trailer. It’s a 2023 GD Imagine 17MKE.
    My question is whether or not I should use the battery disconnect switch when I use an electrical hookup?
    I believe you are asking if you should use the battery disconnect switch to disconnect the battery when connected to shore power. The answer to that would be no. Typically, when you arrive to your destination, you will use DC power to deploy slides, leveling jacks, etc. If you disconnect the battery, you effectively disconnect the charging circuit and your battery will not recharge.

When connected to shore power, the converter provides DC power for all of the 12v loads in the trailer. It also charges and maintains the battery. There would be no reason to disconnect the battery - the charger is designed to step down the charging voltage as needed. Think of it like the battery in your car - you could theoretically disconnect the battery after the car was started and rely on the output of the alternator alone, but the car is not designed to operate that way.
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The battery disconnect really doesn't have a lot of valuable uses. If you're parking your RV without power for a few weeks, you should use it. If you're going beyond that, you need to either disconnect the battery at the terminals or plug it into a trickle charger. Also, it's useful if you're working on a 12V system in the coach and want to make sure you don't have power there.

Beyond that, there's not a lot of reason to ever touch it. I think we used ours a grand total over 3 years of ownership, when we dropped it off for service at the dealer, we threw the switch because they weren't going to have it on shore power. The battery still went totally flat (it was there 6 weeks for service).

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on your new camper! I wish you much enjoyable use!

I think you got your question answered. When on shore power you want the battery connected so it charges. And be aware that when disconnected, it disconnects primary items within the camper, but not everything. As such the only true disconnect, for instances such as storage, is to disconnect the battery.

I will also share that our disconnect is in the frequently used front storage compartment, and on several occasions it has been bumped and accidently turned. If you ever have power problems, start with this switch! On my last camper I swapped it with a different style that can't be switched so easily, but I haven't gotten around to it on this one yet.
    Timmer
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS
    2015 Ford F350, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPoppa View Post
    Welcome to the forum @BigPoppa, there are no "newbie questions" here. But we do have many experienced folks such as those who have already given you good advice (don't touch that key, leave it in place with the electrons flowing). That's a very popular floorplan, hope the two of you have many pleasant times together.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to electrical systems and wiring.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your responses. You all have answered my question. As we are coming from years of tent camping, I’m sure there will be many more questions to come. I’ll do my best to use the search box as much as I can. Thanks again