User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do we really NEED a central island?

I am a big fan of the Solitude series. I am a solo full-time traveler, and I especially like both the 310GK and the 280RK. Looking at the 2 designs gave me an idea for a different configuration, based on a combination of features.

First off, I really like that huge window over the bed, so use the 280RK north-south bedroom design, but make the slide less wide (no sink).
    Then use the bathroom design from the 310GK, but make the bedroom door a pocket type.
    Then use the slide and cabinet layout, from the 310GK design, all the way to the back wall, but with a few significant changes.
    First, eliminate the central island entirely.
    Second, shift the pantry to a central location on the same wall, and substitute some alternate storage into the space that it came from.
    Third, shift the sink to the back wall, slightly right of center (similar to in the 280RK design, but more central).
    The back wall area should have 3 windows and should have a dishwasher prep to the right of the sink, and washer/dryer prep to the left of the sink. The entire back wall should be countertop, as the pantry is not here, but near the entry. The garbage can pull-out should be turned into drawers to offset the loss of island storage.

The elimination of a permanent island has a few advantages. The most significant advantage would be that almost everything would be accessible with the slides closed. The only things blocked would be the dishwasher, washer/dryer, the storage that would replace the pantry (as located in the 310GK design), and a couple drawers in the bedroom. Shifting the pantry to a central location, would make it usable at all times. Essentially, without that central island, the unit is fully functional all the times, regardless of whether the slides are in or out. Sure the space is smaller with the slides in, but no less than a unit that has no slides.

A second advantage of no central island is that travel day storage would be so much easier. You could even store a couple kayaks in the gap between the slides.

Thirdly, when you do open the slides, that huge open space will easily accommodate a couple queen size air mattresses. Neither the 310GK, nor the 280RK, design is a family unit, they are best suited for a full-time solo traveler, or a couple, but guests will sometimes appear, and now there would be plenty of space.

For those folks that are horrified that countertop space would be deleted, I am sure that some sort of removable substitute could be designed.

Another advantage would become evident in extreme temperatures, either hot or cold. Keeping the slides in significantly reduces the total air volume in the unit, making heating or cooling more efficient.

I have attached a very rough cut and paste picture of the design that I am proposing (hope that it actually shows up). I used pictures from the GD website, and not everything matches perfectly, so some things are wonky. There are 2 swinging doors in the hallway that should be ignored, the long side awning is of unknown length and the back wall is a really poor composite. Additionally, because the 2 designs have passthroughs located in different places, the mockup shows 2 passthroughs (wouldn't that be nice), but you should be able to see what I am talking about. Lets call it the 295RGK, 15 more than 280 and 15 less than 310.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hybrid RV.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	45573

So, I repeat my initial question. Do we really NEED a central island?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We love our island never enough countertop space.
    The front window we thought was awesome now we have it wish we didn't. Shade down 100% of the time sun puts a ton of heat in .
    2019 super duty 6.7
    2021 solitude 2930rl
    1236 ah of Sok lithium 1200 watts of solar.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmserio View Post
    I am a big fan of the Solitude series. I am a solo full-time traveler, and I especially like both the 310GK and the 280RK. Looking at the 2 designs gave me an idea for a different configuration, based on a combination of features.

First off, I really like that huge window over the bed, so use the 280RK north-south bedroom design, but make the slide less wide (no sink).
    Then use the bathroom design from the 310GK, but make the bedroom door a pocket type.
    Then use the slide and cabinet layout, from the 310GK design, all the way to the back wall, but with a few significant changes.
    First, eliminate the central island entirely.
    Second, shift the pantry to a central location on the same wall, and substitute some alternate storage into the space that it came from.
    Third, shift the sink to the back wall, slightly right of center (similar to in the 280RK design, but more central).
    The back wall area should have 3 windows and should have a dishwasher prep to the right of the sink, and washer/dryer prep to the left of the sink. The entire back wall should be countertop, as the pantry is not here, but near the entry. The garbage can pull-out should be turned into drawers to offset the loss of island storage.

The elimination of a permanent island has a few advantages. The most significant advantage would be that almost everything would be accessible with the slides closed. The only things blocked would be the dishwasher, washer/dryer, the storage that would replace the pantry (as located in the 310GK design), and a couple drawers in the bedroom. Shifting the pantry to a central location, would make it usable at all times. Essentially, without that central island, the unit is fully functional all the times, regardless of whether the slides are in or out. Sure the space is smaller with the slides in, but no less than a unit that has no slides.

A second advantage of no central island is that travel day storage would be so much easier. You could even store a couple kayaks in the gap between the slides.

Thirdly, when you do open the slides, that huge open space will easily accommodate a couple queen size air mattresses. Neither the 310GK, nor the 280RK, design is a family unit, they are best suited for a full-time solo traveler, or a couple, but guests will sometimes appear, and now there would be plenty of space.

For those folks that are horrified that countertop space would be deleted, I am sure that some sort of removable substitute could be designed.

Another advantage would become evident in extreme temperatures, either hot or cold. Keeping the slides in significantly reduces the total air volume in the unit, making heating or cooling more efficient.

I have attached a very rough cut and paste picture of the design that I am proposing (hope that it actually shows up). I used pictures from the GD website, and not everything matches perfectly, so some things are wonky. There are 2 swinging doors in the hallway that should be ignored, the long side awning is of unknown length and the back wall is a really poor composite. Additionally, because the 2 designs have passthroughs located in different places, the mockup shows 2 passthroughs (wouldn't that be nice), but you should be able to see what I am talking about. Lets call it the 295RGK, 15 more than 280 and 15 less than 310.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hybrid RV.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	45573

The 280RK is discontinued, so maybe the remake will be closer to what you are envisioning.

You'll need to figure out heating, since most of it comes from under the island....
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    The 280RK is discontinued, so maybe the remake will be closer to what you are envisioning.

You'll need to figure out heating, since most of it comes from under the island....
    Sounds like he would like your 310rls. When and why did they stop making the 310rls ? I love that floor plan.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robmcqueen View Post
    Sounds like he would like your 310rls. When and why did they stop making the 310rls ? I love that floor plan.
    They stopped the 310 when Covid made it hard to get any parts. They basically stopped all the new floorplans they came out with that year and concentrated on the core models.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the big reasons we recently upgraded is because we wanted the central island
    2022 Reflection 303rls
    2020 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmserio View Post

One of the reasons we chose the rig we have was because of the island. So I suppose the answer (for me) is "yes".

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my present momentum is the first rv we have owned with a center island, and we love it. a lot of extra counter space where it is usable for preparing/serving large meals. truly a game changer. one of those things that we did know we were missing until we had it.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    They stopped the 310 when Covid made it hard to get any parts. They basically stopped all the new floorplans they came out with that year and concentrated on the core models.
    Do you think they will start making it again ? Love how open it is and like that it only has slides on one side , makes it easier if you camp in the Mountains with lots of trees.
    Last edited by robmcqueen; 03-27-2023 at 01:34 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One big advantage of an island is that the water and drain lines don’t have to flex when the sink is there.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast