User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Went from 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton. Underwhelmed.

I tow a Reflection 150 278BH. Previously I towed it with a 2015 F-150 SuperCab. I wanted to get a crew cab so I decided might as well go for the 3/4-ton, since they’re really not much more money. So I bought a 2023 Silverado 2500HD gas. Don’t get me wrong I like the truck. It’s actually more refined and comfortable than the F-150 was. But I’m not blown away with the towing performance like some would claim. Note I’m not talking about power; I know the diesel would have more power. Have owned and driven diesels before.

The truck does feel more stable in crosswinds, sure. It’s quite a bit heavier. But fifth wheels are inherently stable anyway so not much practical difference. As for incredible braking power or other things you read, nope. There is zero difference in braking between this truck and my F-150 with properly adjusted trailer brakes. Not too surprising really, because physics tells us that the trailer brakes stop the trailer (which is why trailer brakes are legally required.) No there’s no exhaust brake, but I don’t really find I need more engine braking power than what I get with a large displacement gas engine.

Power is about the same, as I was expecting. The 6.6 gas has more power and torque than the Ford 5.0 but the truck is heavier so it’s a wash.

So just wanted to add a counterpoint to all the “go with a 2500, F-350, etc. and you’ll never look back” hype you always see on the Internet. That was likely true 15 or 20 years ago. I understand people like to justify their purchases. Maybe they just like driving a bigger truck, but I don’t see the night and day difference between a modern 1/2 ton and a modern HD pickup with my 10,000-lb fifth wheel.

Obviously to tow a big trailer beyond the towing capacity of a 1/2 ton, you need the HD. But for a smaller trailer, it’s not necessarily an upgrade that’s worth some of the downsides when not towing.
    2022 Reflection 150 278BH
    2023 Silverado 2500HD Gas
    “If you like how it tows, don’t change anything.”

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of curiosity, what is the payload difference between the 2 trucks?
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Easycamper View Post
    I tow a Reflection 150 278BH. Previously I towed it with a 2015 F-150 SuperCab. I wanted to get a crew cab so I decided might as well go for the 3/4-ton, since they’re really not much more money. So I bought a 2023 Silverado 2500HD gas. Don’t get me wrong I like the truck. It’s actually more refined and comfortable than the F-150 was. But I’m not blown away with the towing performance like some would claim. Note I’m not talking about power; I know the diesel would have more power. Have owned and driven diesels before.

The truck does feel more stable in crosswinds, sure. It’s quite a bit heavier. But fifth wheels are inherently stable anyway so not much practical difference. As for incredible braking power or other things you read, nope. There is zero difference in braking between this truck and my F-150 with properly adjusted trailer brakes. Not too surprising really, because physics tells us that the trailer brakes stop the trailer (which is why trailer brakes are legally required.) No there’s no exhaust brake, but I don’t really find I need more engine braking power than what I get with a large displacement gas engine.

Power is about the same, as I was expecting. The 6.6 gas has more power and torque than the Ford 5.0 but the truck is heavier so it’s a wash.

So just wanted to add a counterpoint to all the “go with a 2500, F-350, etc. and you’ll never look back” hype you always see on the Internet. That was likely true 15 or 20 years ago. I understand people like to justify their purchases. Maybe they just like driving a bigger truck, but I don’t see the night and day difference between a modern 1/2 ton and a modern HD pickup with my 10,000-lb fifth wheel.

Obviously to tow a big trailer beyond the towing capacity of a 1/2 ton, you need the HD. But for a smaller trailer, it’s not necessarily an upgrade that’s worth some of the downsides when not towing.
    This is similar to my experience as well as long as you are within the ratings and setup properly the hype you hear can be underwhelming once you upgrade.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel that's the key. I'm pretty sure the payload is greater in the 3/4 ton, but if a 1/2 ton will do the job why not. Equipped equally is the cost of the two pretty comparable now days?
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The F150 5.0 is a good motor, but, I opted for the 6.2 in my '13 F150, and like you said, it tows my 295RL just fine. Did do some adjustments though on my F150 like LT 10 plys, rear anti-sway, and airbags.

I (too) plan on upgrading to a '23 F250 7.3 SCREW - being built as we speak. But, other than payload capacity and being a newer truck, dont feel its going to tow my 295RL any better than my F150 with mods. I did however order my new F250 with the heavier camper package springs and factory sway. Had Ford offered a F150 with the 7.3, probably would have got a new F150 instead and done the same mods!

If your 2500 doesnt have a rear anti-sway (not familiar with HD 2500'S), would highly recommend adding one. That and bags made a big difference in the highway all around stability in weather, poor road conditions, and Semi air resistance. Made our F150 wife approved (to the point she doesnt mind pulling our 5er driving our F150......)!
    Last edited by trailrydr; 03-28-2023 at 10:36 AM.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Out of curiosity, what is the payload difference between the 2 trucks?
    3490 lbs vs. 2019 lbs.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    If your 2500 doesnt have a rear anti-sway (not familiar with HD 2500'S), would highly recommend adding one. That and bags made a big difference in the highway all around stability in weather, poor road conditions, and Semi air resistance. Made our F150 wife approved (to the point she doesnt mind pulling our 5er driving our F150......)!
    Wow that is an endorsement! My wife begrudgingly drove the F-150 empty but she's a hard pass on towing with either truck.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Truthfully, you should be underwhelmed. You will find the majority of us that are long-time heavy haulers will advise to pass on 3/4-ton pickups since they've become more oriented to the non-working segment of the truck market. Unlike the distinct leap from a 1/2-ton to a 1-ton, it's just muddy water between 1/2- and 3/4-ton. In fact, my other truck, a RAM 1500 with crew cab, 6'-4" bed, and the heavy tow group has more capability than quite a few RAM 2500 configurations.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Truthfully, you should be underwhelmed. You will find the majority of us that are long-time heavy haulers will advise to pass on 3/4-ton pickups since they've become more oriented to the non-working segment of the truck market. Unlike the distinct leap from a 1/2-ton to a 1-ton, it's just muddy water between 1/2- and 3/4-ton. In fact, my other truck, a RAM 1500 with crew cab, 6'-4" bed, and the heavy tow group has more capability than quite a few RAM 2500 configurations.
    The GM 2500HDs and 3500HDs are virtually identical. Different rear leaf springs, rear shocks and badges. All the gas trucks have the same rear end. Diesel 3500HDs have a larger ring gear and no torque limiting. That's it.
    Last edited by Easycamper; 03-28-2023 at 01:39 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stability and durability are the only real differences. Heavier, stiffer tires, frames, suspension, etc. Everything is bigger and heavier. The brakes may not stop you faster but they should last much longer stopping heavy loads. Take a 1/2 ton throw some e rated tires and a heavier suspension on it and it will feel real close to a HD truck right up until something breaks. HD's are probably 2000lbs + heavier in basically the same size vehicle. That's all heavy duty parts that will hold up better under load. We had a 1/2 ton that pulled a mildly heavy utility trailer often. The trailer was well within spec, not close to its max. After a while things would wear out and break consistently.

Smaller trailers with a properly set up 1/2 ton is fine for awhile. But a 1/2 ton at its spec limit vs a 3/4 at its spec limit are two different animals. IMO 1/2 tons are ok for occasional loads at or near its limit but any kind of consistent towing or hauling and I'm going HD. Most 1/2 tons are big cars. Some "max whatever packages" do add heavier frames, tires, and/or suspension. Doesn't Ford have 1/2 ton package that actually uses a 3/4 ton frame?

Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    I agree to a point, especially with Ram and their coil suspension. But Ford and Chevy's 3/4 tons are basically 1 tons without an overload stage in the spring pack. Yes I know there are other differences but that's the difference you would you would feel under load
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast