User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are varying opinions in this thread and that’s good to see. In my case, our F-150 was towing our 278BH very well and there wasn’t much room for improvement other than the power of a diesel. If I was coming from my 2001 Ram 1500, I’m sure I would have been blown away.

It’s true I haven’t had it very long and my opinion may change with time. I’m happy with the truck and I’m planning to keep it for many years.
    2022 Reflection 150 278BH
    2023 Silverado 2500HD Gas
    “If you like how it tows, don’t change anything.”

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Half ton

Quote Originally Posted by Easycamper View Post
    I tow a Reflection 150 278BH. Previously I towed it with a 2015 F-150 SuperCab. I wanted to get a crew cab so I decided might as well go for the 3/4-ton, since they’re really not much more money. So I bought a 2023 Silverado 2500HD gas. Don’t get me wrong I like the truck. It’s actually more refined and comfortable than the F-150 was. But I’m not blown away with the towing performance like some would claim. Note I’m not talking about power; I know the diesel would have more power. Have owned and driven diesels before.

The truck does feel more stable in crosswinds, sure. It’s quite a bit heavier. But fifth wheels are inherently stable anyway so not much practical difference. As for incredible braking power or other things you read, nope. There is zero difference in braking between this truck and my F-150 with properly adjusted trailer brakes. Not too surprising really, because physics tells us that the trailer brakes stop the trailer (which is why trailer brakes are legally required.) No there’s no exhaust brake, but I don’t really find I need more engine braking power than what I get with a large displacement gas engine.

Power is about the same, as I was expecting. The 6.6 gas has more power and torque than the Ford 5.0 but the truck is heavier so it’s a wash.

So just wanted to add a counterpoint to all the “go with a 2500, F-350, etc. and you’ll never look back” hype you always see on the Internet. That was likely true 15 or 20 years ago. I understand people like to justify their purchases. Maybe they just like driving a bigger truck, but I don’t see the night and day difference between a modern 1/2 ton and a modern HD pickup with my 10,000-lb fifth wheel.

Obviously to tow a big trailer beyond the towing capacity of a 1/2 ton, you need the HD. But for a smaller trailer, it’s not necessarily an upgrade that’s worth some of the downsides when not towing.

I do appreciate the time you put in to post this. So often folks with three-quarter ton vehicles can only point advice in one direction after making the step up in tow vehicle. In my view half tons were made for 8klbs TT or less regardless of max tow or higher tow capacity.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got knee-deep in this discussion when we went from a 3900 GVW trailer to a 8900. We knew our 1/2 ton wouldn't do the job, but was trying hard to stick with a 3/4 ton gasser. I offended all the diesel fans, but was trying to stay away from the headaches of diesel and still get the power and load capacity I needed. (We live in wintery Vermont, plus not a fan of the smell, cost, DEF and noise, etc).

Settled on going from a 1500 to a 2500HD gasser. Pulls my 2670MK just fine. Would a 3500 or dually have pulled better? Yep. But I've made a tradeoff (it's all tradeoffs in life, of course) and am AOK with it.

If you think you'll ever get a bigger rig, buy the bigger truck. Twice now I've had to upgrade my toad because my SO talked me into a bigger rig. We know this is the biggest we'll ever handle, so my 2500HD will do the trick.
    Darren & Lynne
    Innkeepers, Phineas Swann Inn & Spa, Montgomery, Vermont
    2023 Imagine 2670MK
    2024 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went from towing a 28db cougar 5th wheel with a 2018 F150 3.5 cclb to a 2023 f350 7.3 ccsb, and it was much better. The heavier truck makes it so much more stable. Especially passing tractor trailers and hitting angled bridge joints. The 150 had great power, but the suspension was definitely working harder. Even with air bags. I notice the difference even more towing a 7x25 7' tall aluminum enclosed trailer. Side wind doesn't push truck and trailer over like before.

I'll probably never go back to a half ton. The one ton rides a little stiffer empty, but it doesn't bother me. The 7.3 gets the same mileage towing (10.5) as I did with the 3.5 eco boost, empty I'm only getting 13.5 around town, 16.5 highway.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went from an F150 to F250 to F450 in the course of a year. Yeah, that was great for the bank account. I have quite a few trailers (farm equipment/dump/etc) and towed most of them with all 3 trucks. The F250 was better than the F150, particularly with a heavy trailer. But the F450, that was a "leap" better, especially when I was towing any of the bigger trailers. But I noticed it immediately on my little 7K landscape trailer, it was a big jump in at least percieved capability.

IMHO, it's not the "all-mighty F450". It's something much more basic and easier to see, SRW vs DRW. I've heard this from enough people now to have at least some indication I'm not alone, but the jump from SRW to DRW is pretty significant whenever you're towing anything. And that's played out in my experience.

Sadly, it's not all roses. I'm not sure I could have told you much difference between my 150 and 250 in the snow. The 450, though is a bear in the snow, tracking all over the road, not in the ruts, so sliding, not enough weight on the rear tires to bite. Short version, it stinks. I use that as a comparison point because that's kind of how I feel when I tow with my FIL's truck today (F150), it's a mess on the road compared to the F450, feels loose in the rear, getting pushed around by the trailer, uncomfortable in the cabin. It's stinks compared to the 450, just like the 450 stinks compared to the 150 in the snow.
    2020 Grand Design 351M (sold)
    2022 Luxe 44FB
    2019 F450 KR w/Hensley BD5F

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345