User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fishing and travel

How much of a pain is it to travel and fish at different parts of the US? Like I assume if you are at a Park that has their own body of water no license is required.

Just want to know because we are getting ready to head out for a month or so and fishing would be fun.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Oklahoma you can buy non-resident fishing licenses online.

Annual Fishing License - $55 (valid Jan. 1 - Dec. 31)
    6-Day Fishing License - $35 (valid six consecutive days of choice)
    1-Day Fishing License - $15 (valid one day of choice)

I have bought non-resident licenses in several other states as we have traveled. It was all online using my phone.
    2016 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
    2021 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3550BH

Camp Sites - https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...fw&usp=sharing

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not really a pain. It's just a question of whether you find the money spent on licenses to be worthwhile. For some, yes, others, no. For me, I figure if I can spend however much to fill tanks of fuel getting across a state, spending a nominal fee on a license even if only for a day or two is justified. But, I like fishing enough to spend the extra $$.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    It's not really a pain. It's just a question of whether you find the money spent on licenses to be worthwhile. For some, yes, others, no. For me, I figure if I can spend however much to fill tanks of fuel getting across a state, spending a nominal fee on a license even if only for a day or two is justified. But, I like fishing enough to spend the extra $$.
    I am thinking the same thing. Nothing funnier that someone complaining about the cost of fuel while they are in a Tiffin. If I was concerned about the cost, I wouldn't have an RV.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ca. has two (I think) free fishing days a year. You can also buy 1 to 3 day non-resident licenses. Knowing Ca.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    I am thinking the same thing. Nothing funnier that someone complaining about the cost of fuel while they are in a Tiffin. If I was concerned about the cost, I wouldn't have an RV.
    Well in that case, you'll have to check regs for each state because they do vary quite a bit. In most state parks when you pay for the permit to enter you can fish without a state fishing license if the water is fully surrounded in the park. If the park adjoins a public water, then you would need a state fishing license. I am not aware of similar situations for national parks, but there could be. I know Voyageurs Nat'l Park requires the state license but the waterway is not entirely within the park. Any other national park I've visited I just haven't attempted to fish to date. The nice thing is that these days you can pretty much handle all of that online so it makes it a lot easier than in the "old" days.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well in that case, you'll have to check regs for each state because they do vary quite a bit. In most state parks when you pay for the permit to enter you can fish without a state fishing license if the water is fully surrounded in the park. If the park adjoins a public water, then you would need a state fishing license. I am not aware of similar situations for national parks, but there could be. I know Voyageurs Nat'l Park requires the state license but the waterway is not entirely within the park. Any other national park I've visited I just haven't attempted to fish to date. The nice thing is that these days you can pretty much handle all of that online so it makes it a lot easier than in the "old" days.
    Just will have to add it to the "very short" list of things to research when traveling.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Texas allows you to fish from the bank in state parks without a license.

"Petri Heil"! Good luck to fishermen in German
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well in that case, you'll have to check regs for each state because they do vary quite a bit. In most state parks when you pay for the permit to enter you can fish without a state fishing license if the water is fully surrounded in the park. If the park adjoins a public water, then you would need a state fishing license.
    I hadn’t heard of that before, and when I searched for more information the only thing that came up was about Texas and Minnesota having that rule. Do you know of any other states where that’s the case?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomPanning View Post
    I hadn’t heard of that before, and when I searched for more information the only thing that came up was about Texas and Minnesota having that rule. Do you know of any other states where that’s the case?
    Perhaps I was mistaken. Maybe things have changed over the years or I just projected what I know from MN. I guess you would just have to check first. Apologies for the misinformation. We don't stay in a ton of state parks so I buy a license if I want to fish in a state we're visiting. I thought that was a common rule but must not be.
    Chad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast