Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shackle failure

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shackle failure

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    I literally have PTSD from this issue and don't want to tow my trailer anymore.
    I wouldn’t fret over it. Things happen. Metal fatigues. These trailers go through a lot
    I don’t think you need to fear your trailer

Broken springs and shackles happen quite often and don’t generally end in a tragic accident
    Last edited by NB Canada; 03-29-2023 at 03:50 AM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got done replacing all of the suspension on my 2020 303rls, the springs were all shot, all the bronze bushings were wore through and the equalizers bushings were shot. I have about 15,000 miles on this trailer and have been vigilant about greasing the under carriage. After looking at it I think it was never greased when it left the factory and was pulled over here to the west coast where I purchased it. Lippert knows there are problems with this chassis because they have several rework drawings for it. I had it for less than a year when the frame developed cracks in the I beam above the spring hangers. They had a rework for that and I got them to pay a frame shop to repair that along with the hanger problems that had not been reinforced on my rig. It cost me about a $1,000 dollars in new springs and equalizers to repair it this time. The place I bought my parts from was well aware of the problems with these trailers and helped guide me in the right direction on good heavy duty parts. The parts are the same as the ones on my dump trailer and equipment trailer which are both 15 years old and have never had problems. The sad thing is the parts that I used are not a lot more expensive than the cheep stuff they used. You pay for what you think is quality and you get junk. The problem seems to be industry wide, and I guess two of the guys that started GD are now off to start another company they claim is better. Why didn’t they make GD better and they wouldn’t have to go off and start another company. Just keep pushing Lippert and see what you can get them to do, I found that working with them was far better than GD.
    2020 303RLS
    2018 Dodge 2500 Cummins
    BW Companion
    Retired and loving it.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SSROSS View Post
    I just got done replacing all of the suspension on my 2020 303rls, the springs were all shot, all the bronze bushings were wore through and the equalizers bushings were shot. I have about 15,000 miles on this trailer and have been vigilant about greasing the under carriage. After looking at it I think it was never greased when it left the factory and was pulled over here to the west coast where I purchased it. Lippert knows there are problems with this chassis because they have several rework drawings for it. I had it for less than a year when the frame developed cracks in the I beam above the spring hangers. They had a rework for that and I got them to pay a frame shop to repair that along with the hanger problems that had not been reinforced on my rig. It cost me about a $1,000 dollars in new springs and equalizers to repair it this time. The place I bought my parts from was well aware of the problems with these trailers and helped guide me in the right direction on good heavy duty parts. The parts are the same as the ones on my dump trailer and equipment trailer which are both 15 years old and have never had problems. The sad thing is the parts that I used are not a lot more expensive than the cheep stuff they used. You pay for what you think is quality and you get junk. The problem seems to be industry wide, and I guess two of the guys that started GD are now off to start another company they claim is better. Why didn’t they make GD better and they wouldn’t have to go off and start another company. Just keep pushing Lippert and see what you can get them to do, I found that working with them was far better than GD.
    Perhaps you could share the specifics of these heavy duty parts you sourced. Everyone is always open to new sources of supplies and equipment. If it works well for you, we all would be interested I'm sure.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was able to source the springs and equalizers from a spring and frame shop in Auburn Wa called Gitt’s Spring Company. They recommended I go from a 4 leaf 2600lb spring to a 5 leaf 3000lb spring. They also recommended the Dexter K71-449-00 equalizer kit which was much more heavy duty than what came with the trailer. It came with new wet bolts and bushings and the shackles were twice the thickness of the ones that came with the equalizer that was on the trailer. They said they started stocking the Dexter kit because they found it to work well with the heavier trailers.
    2020 303RLS
    2018 Dodge 2500 Cummins
    BW Companion
    Retired and loving it.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for getting back, even if I don't agree with the equalizer choice.

JMO, but I think you should have gotten the EZ-Flex equalizer rather than the solid equalizer. I don't think you'll care for the ride of that. It's not that much more and it's worth it. You don't even feel the bridge approaches, but you will with those solid equalizers.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dexter rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by SSROSS View Post
    I was able to source the springs and equalizers from a spring and frame shop in Auburn Wa called Gitt’s Spring Company. They recommended I go from a 4 leaf 2600lb spring to a 5 leaf 3000lb spring. They also recommended the Dexter K71-449-00 equalizer kit which was much more heavy duty than what came with the trailer. It came with new wet bolts and bushings and the shackles were twice the thickness of the ones that came with the equalizer that was on the trailer. They said they started stocking the Dexter kit because they found it to work well with the heavier trailers.
    I don't know why they don't use Dexter Torq-Flex axles on these bigger trailers. We had a 2006 Gooseneck 4-Horse trailer with living quarters with them and pulled it over 30,000 miles in 13 years. 24 feet on the floor. Never had an issue with bearings, brakes or the injected rubber torsion suspension. Pulled it on the Alcan 3 times and never had an issue. Only maintenance required is brakes and bearing packs. Never replaced bearings, just packed them as required. I would put them under any trailer before putting new springs, hangers, axles on one. The trailer was a far better built unit though.
    2007 Ram 5.9 CTD 4x4 LB
    2019 Imagine 2500RL

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many trailers are purchased and parked. Never to be towed. Most do not want to pay what the costs would be for a beefier system. Those who do travel a lot, either do the maintenance if required, or beef it up if desired.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^Couldn't have stated it better.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old dawg View Post
    Many trailers are purchased and parked. Never to be towed. Most do not want to pay what the costs would be for a beefier system. Those who do travel a lot, either do the maintenance if required, or beef it up if desired.
    Agreed. My previous toy hauler had the suspension, tires, brakes, and axles designed only enough to allow the trailer to be towed from the manufacturer to the dealer. After that, you were on your own.

I know it's horrible to buy a nice RV knowing full well that the suspension sucks. Someone else on this forum basically said, "think of these as $50K+ starter kits."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140707_121811 (1).jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	45662
    signature

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sad thing is it doesn’t cost them that much more to do it right. My dump trailer which has the same gvw rating as my 303RLS, has at least 100,000 miles on it and has been over loaded hundreds of times and the only thing I have done to it is replace brakes and grease bearings. So when I upgraded the travel trailer I built it similar to the dump trailer. The new springs cost me about $25 dollars more per spring and the equalizer kit was around $50 dollars more and had shackles twice the thickness of the original ones. I used all new bronze bushings at a cost of about $8 dollars each. So around $200 over the original cost of what was there I am hoping for a much better out come. At the volume the trailer manufacturer buys this stuff it probably wouldn’t cost them even the $200. But when you are building 100s of thousands trailers and can save a couple of hundred per trailer that really adds up. Never mind the safety of the traveling public, I bet someone got a nice bonus for that cost cutting idea.
    2020 303RLS
    2018 Dodge 2500 Cummins
    BW Companion
    Retired and loving it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast