Thread: Battery box

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery box

Hey all,
    I was looking over the battery box on our MY22 278BH 5th and it seems fairly flimsy for holding a lead acid battery. It's nothing more than a plastic box with a 1" lip around it to hold the box weight and then it dangles through a hole in the floor for the battery and it's flimsy box to fall right out onto the roadway.
    The top doesn't even properly fit over the battery with the cables attached.

Have any of you guys with this battery box had thoughts on the re-enforcement or replacement of this existing box.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
    Hey all,
    I was looking over the battery box on our MY22 278BH 5th and it seems fairly flimsy for holding a lead acid battery. It's nothing more than a plastic box with a 1" lip around it to hold the box weight and then it dangles through a hole in the floor for the battery and it's flimsy box to fall right out onto the roadway.

Have any of you guys with this battery box had thoughts on the re-enforcement or replacement of this existing box.
    I haven't thought about replacing it. Mine sits in there and is happy as a clam (whatever that means). I have a second battery that sits on the floor of the front compartment and is screwed down to it, by the dealer. 2 years and never had a problem. Yet... Now that I've said that, it'll fail!
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey all,

Haven't lost one yet....
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I'm worrying all about nothing then. I'm newly retired and wayyyyyy too much time on my hands so I'll stop being concerned about the battery dropping out on the road and start to crawl under the camper to retorque every bolt under there, got to do something.
    Safe Travels,
    Bruce.
    2022 278BH 5th Wheel
    Tow Vehicle- 2023 F350 CCLB DRW, 7.3 gas, 4;30 gears

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey all,

I am quite positive no one has ever lost a battery. Don’t worry about it
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I'm worrying all about nothing then. I'm newly retired and wayyyyyy too much time on my hands so I'll stop being concerned about the battery dropping out on the road and start to crawl under the camper to retorque every bolt under there, got to do something.
    Well now, if you have to much time on your hands, I'm only about 8hrs away from you. I'm constantly running out of time and my trailer could use some retorquing amongst other things.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey all,

Well, like you I kinda had some concern about the box. I took 2 pieces of 3/8" All Thread and bolted them to the floor on each side of the box. Ran them down on each side of the battery box, then put a small steel strap between them on the bottom of the box to support the box. Probably overkill but had the parts laying around.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not so concerned with the one battery/battery “well” but am disappointed that adding additional batteries will require some real thought and configuration.
    My old 2014 Heartland had factory provision for up to four batteries. In these days of boondocking off grid and solar recharging it would seem the designers would do a better job with this. Especially since my MY ‘23 Reflection 150 came with 200 watt solar and a controller to accommodate various battery types, I.e acid, lithium, AGM. Seems a little inconsistent. But on an RV, what isn’t?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Well now, if you have to much time on your hands, I'm only about 8hrs away from you. I'm constantly running out of time and my trailer could use some retorquing amongst other things.
    LOL, I'm on my way put the coffee on.
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Well, like you I kinda had some concern about the box. I took 2 pieces of 3/8" All Thread and bolted them to the floor on each side of the box. Ran them down on each side of the battery box, then put a small steel strap between them on the bottom of the box to support the box. Probably overkill but had the parts laying around.
    That's exactly what would please my ocd. I happen to have some scrap stainless steel unistrut and stainless rod so I will do just that and all will be right in the world, thanks.
    Safe Travels,
    Bruce.
    2022 278BH 5th Wheel
    Tow Vehicle- 2023 F350 CCLB DRW, 7.3 gas, 4;30 gears

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if you're looking for something to do, you could install fender washers at the ends where the rails are, "welded". I did that because when I install two 6 volt AGM's after upgrading the box to a duel box, I became concerned the 140 LBS of battery just might fall down. I have since replaced said AGM's with two LiFePO4 batteries.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast