User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Converter / Charger and LiFePo4 - The Test

There have been a number of very enlightening conversations about various converter/chargers recently. Since I have my new converter sitting on my workbench and am not able to install it right now - still recovering from a recent shoulder surgery, I decided to test the ability of my stock converter. For some reason, my 2022 Reflection 303RLS came with a Progressive Dynamics PD9260C and not a WFCO. After ordering a Progressive Dynamics 9160AL, I discovered that my stock converter would have probably worked just fine if I had added a pendant that would have allowed me to force the converter to remain in “boost” mode.

Since I have a lot of spare time right now, I decided to see if I could get the non-lithium converter to fully charge a 200ah LiFePo4 without the pendant. I also wanted to use a real life scenario for my test. When we travel, we typically pull over somewhere for lunch, open the living area slides, and make lunch. Since this will draw the battery down a little, I wanted to see if the stock converter would be able to restore the battery to 100% SOC once plugged back into shore power.

I documented my test with my cell phone and made a video. Since I relied solely on the output of the battery’s BMS, my results certainly aren’t scientific. I will warn you ahead of time, parts of the video are like watching paint dry. Click below if you want to see my results.

Progressive Dynamics PD9260C with lithium
    Last edited by Jomani; 03-29-2023 at 12:06 AM.
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the video, I show the results of disconnecting the battery using the battery disconnect switch, then turning off the converter breaker. One thing that I failed to mention is that the 12v Furrion refrigerator remained on. The refrigerator is powered directly from the battery via a resettable circuit breaker located in the front battery compartment.
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    YouTube Chanel

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jomani View Post
    In the video, I show the results of disconnecting the battery using the battery disconnect switch, then turning off the converter breaker. One thing that I failed to mention is that the 12v Furrion refrigerator remained on. The refrigerator is powered directly from the battery via a resettable circuit breaker located in the front battery compartment.
    Do we have to watch the video to get a report on the results?
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Do we have to watch the video to get a report on the results?
    I didn’t give the results in my initial post because I think it is important to actually see what is happening. The PD9260C was able to get the 200ah LiFePo4 from 94% SOC to 100% SOC. The charge rate and voltage (as seen by the BMS) indicates that the converter was operating in “boost” mode. I think I was able to make that happen by powering up the converter while there was a significant DC load (it is not recommended to turn on the converter when a heavy load is applied but I am replacing it anyway).

I was also testing the Furrion 50amp solar controller. Since I installed the lithium, it wants to keep reverting back to lead acid mode. Before I started this test, I did a reset on the solar controller and verified (again by BMS) that it was charging the battery at a rate of around 6 amps. Under full load (all lights, refrigerator, fans, radio, etc.) and with the solar controller contributing 6+ amps, the battery draw was over 16 amps. When I switched on the converter, it immediately began charging the battery at a significant rate while at the same time continuing to power the trailer’s DC load. Because the converter continued to charge the battery past the 13.6v (normal charge output), I had to assume it was in boost mode.

Now the big question - will a combination of converter and solar controller be able to maintain the battery at 100% while plugged into shore power? I left the awning lights, step light, entrance light, and refrigerator on while plugged into shore power. We had a storm roll in last night so I expect the solar output to be minimal for a couple of days. Prior to resetting the solar controller, the converter/solar controller combo would only maintain the battery at about 78%. As of this morning, the battery is still at 100% and the solar controller still set to lithium.
    YouTube Chanel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jomani View Post
    There have been a number of very enlightening conversations about various converter/chargers recently. Since I have my new converter sitting on my workbench and am not able to install it right now - still recovering from a recent shoulder surgery, I decided to test the ability of my stock converter. For some reason, my 2022 Reflection 303RLS came with a Progressive Dynamics PD9260C and not a WFCO. After ordering a Progressive Dynamics 9160AL, I discovered that my stock converter would have probably worked just fine if I had added a pendant that would have allowed me to force the converter to remain in “boost” mode.

Since I have a lot of spare time right now, I decided to see if I could get the non-lithium converter to fully charge a 200ah LiFePo4 without the pendant. I also wanted to use a real life scenario for my test. When we travel, we typically pull over somewhere for lunch, open the living area slides, and make lunch. Since this will draw the battery down a little, I wanted to see if the stock converter would be able to restore the battery to 100% SOC once plugged back into shore power.

I documented my test with my cell phone and made a video. Since I relied solely on the output of the battery’s BMS, my results certainly aren’t scientific. I will warn you ahead of time, parts of the video are like watching paint dry. Click below if you want to see my results.
    Well, I learned a little bit about YouTube today. Yesterday, I received a notice that this video contained copyrighted material so I removed it. Thinking that the copyright violation was caused by a couple of screenshots I took from the Progressive Dynamics website, I removed those from the video and reposted. I got another copyright notice with the new video. Turns out the music playing on the radio in the background triggered the notice.

When I tried to update the video link in my first post, it would not allow me to edit. Below is a new link to the video.

Reflection 303RLS Converter/Charger Test

Now for the update- battery is still at 100% SOC, Furrion 50a solar controller is still operating in lithium mode. I still have the refrigerator running, and awning, step, and entrance lights on. Two days of rain and overcast so the solar isn’t responsible for the full charge.
    Last edited by Jomani; 03-30-2023 at 08:57 PM.
    YouTube Chanel