User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    For less than $1k, you are looking for an older DSLR, however those cameras are not mirrorless, which won't give you the minute detail a mirrorless one will. For a mirrorless DSLR, expect to pay $2-3k at the low end and between $1-2k on lenses.

A pawn shop might be a decent starting place once you are armed with model numbers and manufacturers.
    Are you talking about "minute detail" in the viewfinder? A mirrorless camera only affects the viewfinding system and shutter times - not the image itself.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Are you talking about "minute detail" in the viewfinder? A mirrorless camera only affects the viewfinding system and shutter times - not the image itself.

Rob
    Huh, okay, I am mistaken. Thanks!
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah there is some big misinformation in this thread.

DSLR is a type of digital camera body that uses a mirror to reflect the image into the viewfinder whereas a mirrorless digitally transposes it there. There is very little difference when it comes to focusing between a Mirrorless and DSLR, usually only mattering in the viewfinder (not the actual image, like Second Chance said). The biggest difference with Mirrorless/DSLR with regards to focus is that Mirrorless bodies are usually faster when it comes to autofocus technology.

If you're looking at either a DSLR or Mirrorless which consist of a body and lens portion, almost all of your manual focus control is going to be determined by having settings applied correctly on the body (which can happen on both the DSLR and Mirrorless) and then focus adjusted with the lens. Almost all lenses allow you to manually focus and some also have autofocus built in, but there is not a "always" on either of those.

Modern digital point and shoot cameras have a surprising amount of control when it comes to their settings and focus, if you know what you're looking for. Even phone cameras nowadays have a ton of manual settings that can make massive differences in the pictures they produce. Don't get me wrong, a DSLR or Mirrorless body paired with a quality lens is going to give significantly better control over the shot you're after but it's not impossible on "simple" cameras these days.

Learning the skills of what to photograph, how to frame it, and what settings to use are going to yield incrementally noticeable results when it comes to the quality of photos. Those skills can be done on intro level equipment and a good photographer with basic equipment can likely produce a far better shot than a novice with top of the line gear.

@Riverbug - Getting back to the original question, it's entirely possible your current camera has the settings you are looking for but you just don't know how to access them. I'm not trying to throw shame, but more trying to save you money if buying a new camera is not necessary. There are some really good intro mirrorless bodies out these days with amazing settings, and they aren't too much money either, but if you can get what you want from what you have then why spend the money. Can you post more about what camera body and lens you actually have? This can probably help to figure out what you need to look for to achieve the results you want. There are also some really good photography forums and communities out there and people who probably know your camera exceedingly well that can help you to figure out if that camera does indeed have the ability to get the shots you want, or if an upgrade makes sense.

All of that said, a friend once said to me that "I am not the person you want to bring with you to talk you out of an expensive purchase" so if you want the honest truth you should just buy a Canon R5 and a few L-Lenses and your pictures will instantly be professional quality! (kidding, lol)
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
    2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive gooseneck conversion hitch
    630aH LiFePO4 Lion Energy battery bank, Victron Multi-Plus II Inverter, Victron MPPT, 563w solar array, CerboGX, 40a DC-DC charger

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for all the help. I think my next step is to go into some stores and see if they have display models I can try out. Maybe the problem is just my hybrid SLR, which is a Fujifilm X-S1. I've lived with it for years but want something better before we head out on our months long trips over the next few years. It's possible that a DSLR will do what I am looking for and I just haven't looked at one since I was sold the one I have now. Perhaps if I try a camera body with interchangeable lenses it will have the focus response I'm looking for. Guess it's time to go in and look at some. The "pro" told me the one I ended up purchasing would do all the things my old camera did and will be much better at macro shots. I guess that's true to a point but I've played with all the settings over the years and the one thing it doesn't do is focus on the subject the way I want it to. Will report back once I've had a chance to check some out. We have a National Camera Exchange a few hours away so I may have to take a drive there as they have lots of trade-ins as well as new. First I'll check out the local stores and see what they have that I can demo. Thanks again!
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DSLR cameras? Maybe

There are alternatives...

Although I will be flamed by the purists, some years ago we switched to what are called "superzoom" digital cameras. There are many out there that provide excellent picture quality, although somewhat less than a DSLR with a bunch of lenses. For us, the advantages (a built in lens with a range of 24 mm to 1200 mm or more) outweigh the disadvantage of slightly lesser quality, which only a true professional is likely to detect. And going over that range means no changing lenses from wide angle to telephoto and everywhere in between. They are a great compromise.

Just another option!

I still have my old Nikon FE, a bunch of lenses, and even older cameras. All of them on the same display shelf as the 1940-something Underwood manual typewriter.
    2019 Imagine 2970RL 34' Travel Trailer, pulled by 2019 Ford F-250 Lariat Diesel.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year I bought a refurbished Canon EOS RP full-frame mirrorless directly from Canon. I bought the camera and kit lens for what buying the camera alone would be at list price. I haven’t spent a lot of time learning to do manual functions, but it’s been fun for both landscape and macro shots. And if you’re using a tripod, you can set it up to do focus stacking automatically.

Best regards,
    Chris
    2020 Solitude 310GK FBP
    2019 Ford F350 SRW CCSB AUH
    Former Rig - 2013 North Trail FBS22
    2013 Expedition EL

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, the easiest way is to move the af/m button on the lens or camera body. Using m overides auto focus. I shoot with a Nikon D7500 and older Nikon D3200 and all of my lenses have that capability. Hope that helps.
    2021 imagine 2400 BH. 2021 Chevy Trail Boss, 6.2 engine.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Thanks. Getting the camera to allow manual focus hasn't been my problem. The problem is that it doesn't focus like the old cameras, when I turn the focus ring on the current camera it incrementally focuses and never gets as crisp as I would like. I'll check out some new ones and specifically mirrorless and see if that does the trick.
    I am not sure a mirrorless camera would solve your problem. When looking through a mirrorless camera you are not seeing the real world. What you are seeing is something that happened a fraction of a second ago. In effect is you are looking into the past.
    Mirrorless camera's have what we call in the world of guns, a slow lock time.
    In the camera's case it is the time lag between when you push the shutter button and the time the picture is actually taken. So I think manually focusing would be even harder in a mirrorless camera than a conventional DSLR. I think that the autofocus in either of these types of cameras is faster and more accurate than most people can focus manually. That's why they don't put manual transmissions in sports cars any more.
    Last edited by Malco1; 04-05-2023 at 05:09 PM.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I shoot with a Canon EOS 5D MK III or a cellphone. The Canon is MUCH more flexible and CAN take much better pictures than the cell phone and has a WIDE variety of close up and long focal length lenses. If you want/need the extra capability, I like the tradition SLR.

But remember that the best camera in the world is the one you have with you and I carry my cellphone all the time.
    2018 Ram 3500 with AS69RC Aisin transmission and Companion RVK3670 sliding hitch
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 310GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With genuine manual focus control, you'll be able to fully take charge of your images and get the outcomes you're after while staying on budget. DSLR it's super cool!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast