User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camera Question for Photography Enthusiasts...

Not sure if I can explain this concisely... Remember the days before autofocus and digital cameras - like the old Nikon 35mm camera where you had completely manual focus? How do I get that level of control with a digital camera? I have a Sony SLR that I've had for 10 years now. I like taking macro pictures of fungus and such (weird, I know) but the manual focus using the focus ring is abysmal. It's like it's interpreting the focus for me and I can never get it just right so I have to rely on the semi-auto focus for the best results.

If I were to purchase a DSLR, does that provide true manual focus using the focus ring? Or, will it still have that weird digital focus as the ring is turned? Not sure if that makes sense...

I'm looking to keep it to less than $1,000 for the camera body and lens or two. I don't need all the bells and whistles. If I could have my old 35mm camera but with the ability to store the pictures on a card rather than wait to send film in, that would be perfection.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Not sure if I can explain this concisely... Remember the days before autofocus and digital cameras - like the old Nikon 35mm camera where you had completely manual focus? How do I get that level of control with a digital camera? I have a Sony SLR that I've had for 10 years now. I like taking macro pictures of fungus and such (weird, I know) but the manual focus using the focus ring is abysmal. It's like it's interpreting the focus for me and I can never get it just right so I have to rely on the semi-auto focus for the best results.

If I were to purchase a DSLR, does that provide true manual focus using the focus ring? Or, will it still have that weird digital focus as the ring is turned? Not sure if that makes sense...

I'm looking to keep it to less than $1,000 for the camera body and lens or two. I don't need all the bells and whistles. If I could have my old 35mm camera but with the ability to store the pictures on a card rather than wait to send film in, that would be perfection.
    For less than $1k, you are looking for an older DSLR, however those cameras are not mirrorless, which won't give you the minute detail a mirrorless one will. For a mirrorless DSLR, expect to pay $2-3k at the low end and between $1-2k on lenses.

A pawn shop might be a decent starting place once you are armed with model numbers and manufacturers.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are quite a few DSLRs that have manual focus, if you do want to go mirrorless it will be more $$ B &H Photo is a good place to poke around to find what you're looking for. If you are a warehouse club member there are often good deals on mid range DSLRs

Also there is nothing weird about fungus pics, I like taking fungus pics too. So that might make us both weird!

Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the right lense you can achieve this. I lock the focus on the body and then you can manually adjust the lense. I do not have a newer dSLR, though. Old Nikon D90.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So perhaps mirrorless is the key here. I've read about them but the issue I have is nobody really talks much about how manual focus works. It seems people maybe aren't familiar anymore with how the old 35mm cameras used to work and I wonder if they just don't understand what I am looking for. Now I know I can check out a mirrorless (don't mind used) and see if that does what I'm looking for.

Thanks for all the input!
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So perhaps mirrorless is the key here. I've read about them but the issue I have is nobody really talks much about how manual focus works. It seems people maybe aren't familiar anymore with how the old 35mm cameras used to work and I wonder if they just don't understand what I am looking for. Now I know I can check out a mirrorless (don't mind used) and see if that does what I'm looking for.

Thanks for all the input!
    Keep in mind that (usually) both the camera body and the lens has focusing capability. You will need to research a camera body that you can lock the focus on (it'll be a menu setting). Then you can use the lens to focus.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Keep in mind that (usually) both the camera body and the lens has focusing capability. You will need to research a camera body that you can lock the focus on (it'll be a menu setting). Then you can use the lens to focus.
    Thanks. Getting the camera to allow manual focus hasn't been my problem. The problem is that it doesn't focus like the old cameras, when I turn the focus ring on the current camera it incrementally focuses and never gets as crisp as I would like. I'll check out some new ones and specifically mirrorless and see if that does the trick.
    Chad

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Getting the camera to allow manual focus hasn't been my problem. The problem is that it doesn't focus like the old cameras, when I turn the focus ring on the current camera it incrementally focuses and never gets as crisp as I would like. I'll check out some new ones and specifically mirrorless and see if that does the trick.
    It'll be a combination of both. You would set the camera to macro mode, lock the focus on the subject, fine tune the focus with the lens. Not much has changed with the lenses from 35mm to digital, just the mounting system for the most part.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Chad, I believe Incan help. All newer lenses have auto focus. I also was film/darkroom for years. Went to digital 12 years ago kicking and screaming. It is the best of both worlds. I personally don’t use auto focus on macros. Depending on the outcome you want…all in focus or some in focus with nice bokeh. Both can be achieved with the distance you have your lens from the subject. Please feel free to reach out, I have been professional photographer for 20+ years. My website www.jeanneschnoor.com. Email: [email protected].

Jon and Jeanne Schnoor
    2022 Reflection 337rls
    2022 GMC 2500 Duramax AT4
    Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    while the mirrorless would be nice I really don't see a need for your usage. I have Nikon D200 & D70 and both will allow manual focus and if that is your goal you should also be able to find some good prices on older manual only lenses as most people don't want them anymore. I haven't been able to focus manually in years and was really surprised how well the camera does.

I would not be surprised if some of the newer lenses don't have a manual focus ring but it is easy to verify.
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast