User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomPanning View Post
    I’m really glad you asked for advice before buying. Two broad pieces of advice:
    1. Never ever EVER believe what a salesman says, particularly about whether a vehicle can tow a trailer. RV forums are littered with people who just bought their first trailer, only to find out that they can’t actually tow it safely. You got a taste of that with the trailer you proposed here. I guarantee if you went to 5 dealerships and asked them the same question, all of them would say “yes, no problem”.
    2. Find a general RV book that will introduce you to all the RV stuff that you need to know about (if not understand) before spending thousands of dollars. One of them will be the payload calculations that you just saw. Another will be that RVs aren’t like cars: a new one is not at all guaranteed to be in perfect condition (there are people who prefer to buy used because then the first owner has worked through any manufacturing issues). Another big one is dealing with fresh water, gray water, and black water. There’s plenty more, and it’s not hard to learn, but don’t trust a dealership to teach you any of it.

”RVing is a lot more complicated than 99% of people think when they first get interested” probably isn’t what you want to hear, but it is the truth. That being said, there are a lot of people who love it anyways, so don’t get scared away.

Your local library probably has at least one book about RVing. I read several of them when I was getting started, and they all have pretty much the same info in them, so pick whichever one seems good to you.
    I would add youtube to what tompanning shared. Though don't just look for cool walk through videos. There are great videos on what you need to get started, how to understand towing capacity, the differences between the different types of RVs, and more.
    2016 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
    2021 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3550BH

Camp Sites - https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...fw&usp=sharing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on the question, besides the RV what else do I need to buy, I'm guessing you've not done this before? If you have, my apologies for the assumption.

If you haven't the first thing to do is decide what amenities you must have, as there's a million of them from twin beds to king size, residential to RV fridges and the list is endless including what size and kind of (5th wheel, Toyhaulers, bumper pull) rig, etc. This will keep you from buying something and then deciding a year or two later you need to be looking again.

So for that reason for those who've never owned before I recommend they rent rigs for 6 months to a year to see what they can and can't live with or without. You can rent from many local dealers or there are a couple of online sites. This will also answer the question of whether it's really for you as opposed to it just sounds great because there's a lot of investment to find out it was a wrong decision.
    Jeri, Honey & Char
    2019 GD Momentum 376th
    2022 Ford F350 Crewcab 4WD SRW Diesel Longbed

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would add, there are online RV education and training videos out there as well as printed books. RVers Boot Camp is one that Escapee's offers and another is RV Education 101 by Mark Polk on YouTube. After getting some basic education on RVs and tow vehicles, type, size, weight, systems etc. then maybe go to a few RV shows at convention centers, they also may provide some basic or advanced education seminars given by actual RV owners. For your first venture going out to RV shows I would not talk to salesman, just get your basic RV education. This can also give you a chance to walk through some RVs to scope out the different types and floor plans. Family of 5 I think you said, any pets that will go along with you? Keep this in mind when thinking about RVs. I guess the main thing I would avoid is getting starry eyed and jump right in to buying an RV.

When our kids were young, family of 4, we started out with pop up RVs. Then graduated to full size bumper pulls updating our tow vehicle along the way.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 04-09-2023 at 07:20 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BNHolland View Post
    Hello!

I'm in the market for a new RV and have a ton of questions...., like:

- Towing Safety
    - Besides the RV, what else do I need to buy
    - best locations to camp in the Southeastern US (TN, AL, MS)

Looking forward to learning from the community!

Thanks!
    Did you move on OP?

You haven’t responded in awhile
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Did you move on OP?

You haven’t responded in awhile
    We probably annoyed him or scared him off, we experienced owners don't intentionally try to do that but tend to do it anyway. We want so much to impart our wisdom/failures on to other potential owners so they don't make the same mistakes we did.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to New To RV'ing, Purchase Questions & General Concerns.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12