User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brake drum seals, are there better ones than the standard seals.

I will be doing a complete brake inspection and bearing repack on my 2020 Grand Design 385 Momentum. I am curious if any of you brainiacs out there have found a better axle seal than the stock one, I do not know what is in there but I wanna know if it is a single lip seal if you suggest a double or triple lip seal. Just curious if anyone has been through it and found a better seal.
    My unit is a triple axle so I want the best I can use, its allot of work. Also what is the favorite grease out there. I am currently using the Lucas Red Sticky.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I generally just order double lip seals from eTrailer that fit whatever I'm working on. Never had an issue with their seals on boat trailers I've owned. Just checked my brakes and packed bearings on our 22mle and used seals from them. I called them with the axle info from the build sheet so they could match them up so I didn't have to disassemble and measure first. The Lucas grease is good and is mentioned often here, though I usually just get the high temp stuff from tractor supply.
    2021 Imagine 22mle

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screamineagle View Post
    I will be doing a complete brake inspection and bearing repack on my 2020 Grand Design 385 Momentum. I am curious if any of you brainiacs out there have found a better axle seal than the stock one, I do not know what is in there but I wanna know if it is a single lip seal if you suggest a double or triple lip seal. Just curious if anyone has been through it and found a better seal.
    My unit is a triple axle so I want the best I can use, its allot of work. Also what is the favorite grease out there. I am currently using the Lucas Red Sticky.
    I just use the Dexter 10-36 double lip seal on ours, seems to be ok and never a sign of problems or grease on brakes. Yup Lucas Red & Tacky
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using these 10-36 seals sold by WPS on Amazon for the last four years.. I repack my bearings once a year.. Never any issues with grease blow by and I only use Red & Tacky and hand pack

https://www.amazon.com/WPS-Trailer-G.../dp/B07FC3Y6CQ

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did ours last weekend. Seals came from etrailer. My boat uses the same ones. Have had good luck in keeping grease in and water out. I use a marine trailer grease that has again, worked very well on my boat trailer. It too is red and somewhat tacky.
    This was the first re-pack on the MLE and I replaced an outer bearing in one wheel. Just didn't "feel right". Everything else looked good.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper02 View Post
    I have been using these 10-36 seals sold by WPS on Amazon for the last four years..
    signature

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have always been a fan of Timken AKA National Seal Company National makes the seal for Timken. However the stock Dexter 10-36 are good. Timkin/National number 412920
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually use replacements from etrailer, nothing fancy. As long as you hand pack and not blindly fill the cavity using the zerk fitting, you should be good. Another vote for Lucas Red N Tacky.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screamineagle View Post
    I have found that dealerships use the cheapest they can find. I have for the past two years ordered them directly from Dexter (since it is their axles) which are double-lipped and have not had an issue. For grease, I use Valvoline Multi-Vehicle High Temp Grease NLGI #2 . The last research I did showed it had a 500-degree heat rating. Pray bearings never get that hot!

Several years ago I lost an axle in Ok City and sit at a truck stop for three days waiting for my axle to be repaired and reattached to the RV. Went to the axle shop and asked if they would pill the front axle and they did. The bearings on the front axle were in pieces in the mechanic's hand. Good old Camping World gave the job to a rookie who over-tightened the bearings. Was going to take Dexter several weeks to get a new axle to me via freight truck. Came home with a different RV after the rebuilt axle failed yet a second time in Nevada. So either do it yourself or find a good mechanic that knows what they are doing. I found a good mechanic and provide him with the grease, bearing packer, and seals.

I also carry a complete set of seals/bearings/grease on the road and hit the axle hubs at every rest stop to keep track of the temp with a heat gun. A tire management system tells one the air pressure and the air temp inside the tire, but not the temp of the bearings as soon as I'd like. Thus the temp gun!
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by terryriddle View Post
    I have found that dealerships use the cheapest they can find. I have for the past two years ordered them directly from Dexter (since it is their axles) which are double-lipped and have not had an issue. For grease, I use Valvoline Multi-Vehicle High Temp Grease NLGI #2 . The last research I did showed it had a 500-degree heat rating. Pray bearings never get that hot!

Several years ago I lost an axle in Ok City and sit at a truck stop for three days waiting for my axle to be repaired and reattached to the RV. Went to the axle shop and asked if they would pill the front axle and they did. The bearings on the front axle were in pieces in the mechanic's hand. Good old Camping World gave the job to a rookie who over-tightened the bearings. Was going to take Dexter several weeks to get a new axle to me via freight truck. Came home with a different RV after the rebuilt axle failed yet a second time in Nevada. So either do it yourself or find a good mechanic that knows what they are doing. I found a good mechanic and provide him with the grease, bearing packer, and seals.

I also carry a complete set of seals/bearings/grease on the road and hit the axle hubs at every rest stop to keep track of the temp with a heat gun. A tire management system tells one the air pressure and the air temp inside the tire, but not the temp of the bearings as soon as I'd like. Thus the temp gun!

What temperatures do you find the bearings running at, what are you comfortable with
    James Callahan
    2019 303RLS Reflection
    2018 Chevy High Country 2500 Diesel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast