Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2023 F-250 and GD 270-BN

Good morning everyone, I would like to get some advice on a new hitch. Our first fifth wheel was a 2017 Reflection 337 RLS. I towed it with a 2017 F-250, Super cab diesel with a 6-1/2 ft box. It had the puck system and I had a Companion non sliding hitch. I went from that truck to a 2019 F-350 Dually Super crew diesel with a 8 ft box using the same hitch. We have a new 2023 F-250 with the same cab configuration, Super cab, 6-1/2 box. It also has the puck system. We are getting a 2023 GD 270 BN . I have always had good luck with E-Trailer and the advice they give but when I called them they said that I absolutely needed a slider hitch. They were recommending a Curt A-20 with a R-20 slider kit. I have never used a slider hitch and am wondering if it's needed. I really liked the Companion because it was so easy to get in and out of the truck in 2 pieces. Just wondering what some of you think and what your experiences are ? Thank you for your time, boomer.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer58 View Post
    Good morning everyone, I would like to get some advice on a new hitch. Our first fifth wheel was a 2017 Reflection 337 RLS. I towed it with a 2017 F-250, Super cab diesel with a 6-1/2 ft box. It had the puck system and I had a Companion non sliding hitch. I went from that truck to a 2019 F-350 Dually Super crew diesel with a 8 ft box using the same hitch. We have a new 2023 F-250 with the same cab configuration, Super cab, 6-1/2 box. It also has the puck system. We are getting a 2023 GD 270 BN . I have always had good luck with E-Trailer and the advice they give but when I called them they said that I absolutely needed a slider hitch. They were recommending a Curt A-20 with a R-20 slider kit. I have never used a slider hitch and am wondering if it's needed. I really liked the Companion because it was so easy to get in and out of the truck in 2 pieces. Just wondering what some of you think and what your experiences are ? Thank you for your time, boomer.
    Not sure why E-Trailer is recommending a slider? The 270BN has the Turning Point hitch.

Do you plan on locking it out or leaving it active?

I have towed both a 260RD and a 295RL with a 6.75' box truck with an active Turning Point without any clearance issues. There are others on this forum who tow 150 series trailers with the Turning Point locked and do not use sliders.

If you are going to use the Turning Point feature, be sure to get the correct wedge for your hitch as the factory wedge is not compatible with all hitches.
    2022 F350 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 7.3
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    2021 F150 SC SB XLT Sport 3.5 EB Max Tow - Sold
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 260RD - Sold

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We tow our 295RL with our F150 SB and use the turning point feature due to clearance. We are getting a new 2023 F250 SB with the puck system and still plan on using our turning point at this time.

The F250 is only 1 1/2' longer than our F150 bed on hitch placement. If I remember correctly, the turning point gives you 22 inchs of additional cab clearance. So, we could still be close with the additional 18" inches (using dif between F150 SB 5.5' vs F250 6.10" in our case) clearance if not using the turning point feature when hooking up to our F250 SB to a GD 150 series 5er.

I am going to play with it myself when my F250 SB gets here in the next few weeks. We dont typically turn that tight when manuvering any ways. However, I really like the idea of not having to PM the turnig point bearing, and/or messing with the wedge and hitch alignment business each time we hook up.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the front of the cap is even with the pin, and the cap is rounded like mine, no slider or turning point should be required...good luck.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    If the front of the cap is even with the pin, and the cap is rounded like mine, no slider or turning point should be required...good luck.
    Funny.... we are getting the same exact truck (incuding color) but as a '23 F250.

How do you like the 7.3? Been reading about issues with oiling during idling like the 6.2's had... including even some delay this year on early builds on a few Ford sites.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Funny.... we are getting the same exact truck (incuding color) but as a '23 F250.

How do you like the 7.3? Been reading about issues with oiling during idling like the 6.2's had... including even some delay this year on early builds on a few Ford sites.
    Only have about 2500 miles on it, so too soon to say. The internet amplifies mostly bad stuff, so find a better source? Mine took 10 months to be delivered...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for all of your replies. After several phone calls, I talked to Lippert yesterday and the advised me on a hitch that would work with my setup. It's a Curt model # C16520-16017 and a Wedge model # 16992. My new truck came in yesterday, I ordered the hitch from E-Trailer and it will be here Thursday. Probably take the MK-200 down to trade for the new 270-BN on Sunday or Monday. Looking forward to getting on the road with the new truck and trailer. Thanks again for all of the input, I'll post some pictures and let you know how it all works out, boomer.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good evening everyone, I put the hitch together and installed it in the truck today. I have a lot of experience towing with a CDL for 35 + years but I am always open for advice and opinions. I am finding the Turning Point hitch a little intimidating after reading all of the different things the people are saying about them. You need one, you don't need one. Is it difficult to set up ? Will I have the right wedge ? I picked up our 200MK at the storage yard today and I'll leave Sunday to be at the dealer Monday morning to get the new 270BN. I'm sure once I see the Turning Point pin box and see how it works, I'll be fine. So that's my rant for tonight. We have had a tough year with my wife's health issues and we can't wait to grab the cats and hit the road for a bit and see where our new setup will take us. Thanks for listening, boomer.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck. Happy camping.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you.