User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TurningPoint hitch Trailer jumps to side on curved on ramps… Normal?

Hi everyone
    I have a 2022 Reflection 150 series 5th wheel 295RL with the turningpoint. In my F250 I have the patriot 18K.

When going on long curved on ramps often somewhere along the turn there is a somewhat jarring thump as if the camper moved in a direction other than tracking behind me

Yesterday this occurred and I happeded to be looking in the rear view mirror. I watched the front of the camper shift maybe 3-4” to the right.

Is anyone else experiencing this and is it normal?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am trying to insert a picture of the turningpoint wedge setup, but cannot figure out how to insert a picture

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Laffofpa View Post
    Hi everyone
    I have a 2022 Reflection 150 series 5th wheel 295RL with the turningpoint. In my F250 I have the patriot 18K.

When going on long curved on ramps often somewhere along the turn there is a somewhat jarring thump as if the camper moved in a direction other than tracking behind me

Yesterday this occurred and I happeded to be looking in the rear view mirror. I watched the front of the camper shift maybe 3-4” to the right.

I hat to tell you this, but you Patriot Hitch https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/sit...nual%20web.pdf is NOT rated to use a wedge.

WARNING! DO NOT USE A WEDGE
    Preventing the kingpin
    from rotating within the
    jaws of the Companion
    coupler with a wedge, or
    any other device, such
    as Reese Sidewinder®
    or Reese Revolution®,
    could result in property
    damage, serious injury
    or death.

I suspect there is a fitment issue between the wedge and hitch plate. Look for damage there. OR The bearing on the turning point is binding up causing the shift. With it disconnected from the truck does it swing freely. Last check you trailer axles for alignment as the trailer may be trying to track differently from the truck.

Sorry for the bad news. You can call B&W too as the have great customer service.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sitting here stunned, this is the hitch Tom Schaeffer’s in Hamburg PA sold me and installed when I purchased the camper from them, thank you for the info

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am at the tail end of a 3 month 8K trip with the camper and have about 500 miles till home. Can I/Should I take the wedge out and move the bolts to make it a normal connection instead of a turning point. I do realize I will have to be very careful not to break my back window when turning

Also, if the camper was not tracking straight, would I have uneven tread wear?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am at the tail end of a 3 month 8K trip with the camper and have about 500 miles till home. Can I/Should I take the wedge out and move the bolts to make it a normal connection instead of a turning point. I do realize I will have to be very careful not to break my back window when turning

Also, if the camper was not tracking straight, would I have uneven tread wear?
    I would based on your description of what is happening.
    You may be very surprised at the turning room you actually have. GD's nose design is very forgiving. Have a spotter watch for you the first few times. Forward towing and turns should not be a problem, just sharp angle backing. Is the hitch head set to the furthers rear position? That would help.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    I would based on your description of what is happening.
    You may be very surprised at the turning room you actually have. GD's nose design is very forgiving. Have a spotter watch for you the first few times. Forward towing and turns should not be a problem, just sharp angle backing. Is the hitch head set to the furthers rear position? That would help.
    The turning point on my 150 series is locked and so far I haven't had any issues with sharp turns. I agree with @powerscol, you'll most likely be safer with the TP locked.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone

What you are describing sounds like a loose wedge. Remove the top section of the Patriot and slide it onto the pin. It should fit fairly snug with very little side to side movement.

As to whether or not your hitch is compatible - that depends on exactly what you have. I would contact B&W directly and ask. I have their Companion with puck system for Ram. When I contacted B&W, they told me I could use it with my Reese Sidewinder as long as I used the correct wedge.
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jomani View Post
    What you are describing sounds like a loose wedge. Remove the top section of the Patriot and slide it onto the pin. It should fit fairly snug with very little side to side movement.

As to whether or not your hitch is compatible - that depends on exactly what you have. I would contact B&W directly and ask. I have their Companion with puck system for Ram. When I contacted B&W, they told me I could use it with my Reese Sidewinder as long as I used the correct wedge.
    Patriot manual specifically says don't use a wedge. I believe the Companion, like I have too is a different head. But could be wrong. Depending on the OP truck he may not need the turning point as @Soundsailor mentions. I have my turning point also locked out, but I have a long bed.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the quick feedback. There is a dealership next to campground, but the service tech only there till noon.

I sent an email to B&W, they are not there today.

Just re-torque’d the wedge bolts, the one closest to the camper was quite loose… now at 200#.

I have an appt at my RV service shop and will talk to them

Thanks again

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast