User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nashville to Savannah

We are planning a trip to the Savannah area this fall. We will be stopping in the Nashville area on the way. From Nashville to Savannah, all of the mapping apps are routing me through Atlanta. I would really like to avoid the Atlanta area and its traffic if at all possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Mark
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lived in Georgia for 26 years. Without adding a bunch of miles, we found that the best thing to do is head straight through Atlanta (not on the loop) mid-morning or mid-afternoonn. Plan ahead for lanes to be in the correct one and barrel on through. We've done it many times pulling the rig.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about Atlanta, we avoided the interstate through it, but Nashville, and Chattanooga were both awful, and much of I-24 between the two was bad also. We had several traffic backups for no discernible reasons. We lost about 2 hours due to very slow traffic from Nashville to Chattanooga. Very, very bad.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Planning to go through during non-rush hour is the key. Do that and you're fine. We went through Atlanta towing the rig twice recently, once was about 8pm and the other about 2pm, both times were fine. Some traffic but nothing crazy. Atlanta does a good job with signage for which lanes to be in, just pay attention and you'll be fine.

I would be more concerned about I-24 through Monteagle TN if you haven't towed that way before. It's "only" the Appalachian mountains but there is a reasonably steep grade up and down there and it can get dicey. Take your time and you'll be fine but also don't underestimate the warnings about the grade.
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
    2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive gooseneck conversion hitch
    630aH LiFePO4 Lion Energy battery bank, Victron Multi-Plus II Inverter, Victron MPPT, 563w solar array, CerboGX, 40a DC-DC charger

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have avoided any "rush hour" times and the traffic is still horrible.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Hoppy Frood about Chattanooga. If you think Atlanta is bad, wait until you get to Chattanooga - you'll want to say your prayers there is no problem as I-24 through there is only 2 lanes in places and always seems to have an accident. We regularly go out of our way to avoid both cities.

Maybe to avoid both cities you can consider I-40 all the way over to Asheville, then down I-26 to I-95 and then into Savanah. It's probably about 1.5 hours longer assuming you have NO delays in either Chattanooga or Atlanta; and I think it is a happier drive. For us that would take 2 days as 4 to 5 hours seems to be our limit.

oh - pay attention in Asheville if you go that way, the turns sneak up on you.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Maybe to avoid both cities you can consider I-40 all the way over to Asheville, then down I-26 to I-95 and then into Savanah. It's probably about 1.5 hours longer assuming you have NO delays in either Chattanooga or Atlanta; and I think it is a happier drive. For us that would take 2 days as 4 to 5 hours seems to be our limit.

oh - pay attention in Asheville if you go that way, the turns sneak up on you.
    We've made the I-40 to Asheville, to I-26, to I-95 trip several times (for the last several years, we've spent the summers in NC and live in FL). I really don't like I-95 through SC. There are only 2 lanes in each direction and the right lane in each direction will shake the fillings right out of your teeth. On some trips in years past, we've just pinned our ears back and gone straight through Atlanta (both north and south bound) just to avoid I-95 in South Carolina. We're planning to spend some time in the Blue Ridge/Ellijay area this year just to avoid the SC roads.

BTW - @traveldawg is right on the money - the turns around Asheville are plentiful and really do sneak up on you.
    Don and Linda along with Trixie and Chase the Camping Dogs
    Jacksonville, Florida

2019 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 Duramax Crewcab LTZ
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don and Linda View Post
    We've made the I-40 to Asheville, to I-26, to I-95 trip several times (for the last several years, we've spent the summers in NC and live in FL). I really don't like I-95 through SC. There are only 2 lanes in each direction and the right lane in each direction will shake the fillings right out of your teeth. On some trips in years past, we've just pinned our ears back and gone straight through Atlanta (both north and south bound) just to avoid I-95 in South Carolina. We're planning to spend some time in the Blue Ridge/Ellijay area this year just to avoid the SC roads.

BTW - @traveldawg is right on the money - the turns around Asheville are plentiful and really do sneak up on you.
    hmmmm.... I forgot about that 2 lane nightmare. My last trip from Charlotte, NC to home (FL Space Coast) in a car took 12 hours because of that road! grrrrr...... Actually I got off of I-26 and avoided I-95 until after Savanah but still hit traffic in Jacksonville.

anyway - I hope the OP's trip goes well.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in Nashville almost weekly for work. It doesn't matter what time it is, there is traffic.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take your time!

Come on down I-65 to Birmingham and take US-280 all the way into Savannah.

It's a nice, pleasant drive and you can say you have traveled an entire US Highway from one end to the other!

There is a lovely state park on the south end of town.
    2023 Reflection 315RLTS
    2017 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 6.7L Diesel
    Hensley Swift Arrow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast