User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I think he is saying it will be too much weight on your RAM. Supposedly on the hitch - I guess. Maybe something else.

Anyway - I got curious and looked and found these specs for a 2017 RAM 1500.....
    Towing & Hauling: Max Towing Capacity = 10,150 lbs. Max Payload Capacity 1,700 lbs.

Seems to me you are fine.
    that may be the max,but that is not what the ops truck is rated at.
    dry weight means nothing as it will not be used empty. that tt is 34' long with a lot of water capacity, and with a large fridge and a lot of storage capacity it will be at or over its gvwr especially since he wants to hunt with it.

too much tt for the truck
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum and hello from another Minnesotan. Congrats on the upcoming retirement! It's really something to plan and dream of the day and then finally have it arrive. It's a splendid feeling.

I'd just pay close attention to your payload and tongue weight once you have the trailer loaded up. You might find that once you have you and your stuff in the truck, your stuff in the trailer, and water and "stuff" in the tanks, you could have a payload problem. It's not usually the tow rating that gets us these days, it is almost always the payload and that's the one number most commonly overlooked by people. Just something to keep in the back of your mind as you prepare to hit the road.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum @jimonalog, hope you enjoy your new Imagine.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Welcome to the forum and hello from another Minnesotan. Congrats on the upcoming retirement! It's really something to plan and dream of the day and then finally have it arrive. It's a splendid feeling.

I'd just pay close attention to your payload and tongue weight once you have the trailer loaded up. You might find that once you have you and your stuff in the truck, your stuff in the trailer, and water and "stuff" in the tanks, you could have a payload problem. It's not usually the tow rating that gets us these days, it is almost always the payload and that's the one number most commonly overlooked by people. Just something to keep in the back of your mind as you prepare to hit the road.
    Thank you. Yes, I understand. I better lose some weight, lol. I have 110K on this truck. If there are issues, I'll resolve them with the next truck.

Appreciate all the advice.
    Retiring Clergy- God loves everyone: No Exceptions!
    2023 Imagine 2970rl
    2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the welcome
    2023 Imagine 2970rl
    2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to see more Minnesotans joining. Grand Design trailers are very popular here and see many in the campgrounds we frequent.

I love winter but it's getting a bit old now. Ready for camping to start. Might not be able to get out until June with the way it's going. Oddly enough I cleared my snow this morning then traveled north where they didn't get much this round. Beautiful sunny 39 degree day here! And for those who aren't acclimated to this weather, 39 is tropical for us!

Congratulations on the upcoming retirement! Hope you can go do things while your wife's vision holds. A note regarding your setup. I'm also in the camp that your truck is undersized. Brother has a new Ram 1500 he custom ordered to pull his 24' Ice Castle and its a chore. If you're traveling across the country, my personal recommendation is to upsize. And if you're not aware, in MN the tabs for a 3500 are a flat fee of $139. The equivalent tabs for a 2500 are likely $700. For capacity and cost I'd skip a 2500 and go 3500. Ride when not loaded is rather stiff though on our pot hole roads.

Just thought I'd throw it out there. Also feel free to send me a private message if you'd like to chat more about it.

Jason
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimonalog View Post
    Thank you. Yes, I understand. I better lose some weight, lol. I have 110K on this truck. If there are issues, I'll resolve them with the next truck.

Appreciate all the advice.
    Have you towed this trailer yet?

To safely tow this trailer it should have 1000-1100 lbs of tongue weight
    With the weight of the hitch you will be over weight on your truck. The only way to truly know is to weigh it

My GMC has over 1800 lbs payload and my 2400 bh has my truck maxed out

A 2800bh is pushing 3/4 ton territory and 2970 is definitely 3/4 ton
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your warm welcome. I do appreciate wisdom of others and do not take it as criticism. Since this has been an informative discussion for other people, hopefully, I would add:

1. I thought I was doing very well as a pastor to afford a GD.
    2. At this point, I cannot afford another truck. If investments pay off, I will be able to get a truck for hauling.
    3. 90% of my driving is without a TT. Wherever I go, I quickly drop the trailer.
    4. I love the 1/2 ton vs heavy duty when not hauling a trailer.
    5. I am not in a hurry, even up a steep pass. I pull over and let traffic go by.
    6. I am well aware of all the weight limits. I don't haul that much crap but will be mindful.
    7. I need to lose weight.
    8. I'm not gonna lose weight, realistically.
    9. Given my wife's health, we need to make the most of what we have, not what we wish we had.
    10. You plow with the horses you have, not what you wish you had.
    11. I'm gonna enjoy this amazing camper and hopefully enjoy our experiences with you.
    12. I promise to report back.
    2023 Imagine 2970rl
    2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    that may be the max,but that is not what the ops truck is rated at.
    dry weight means nothing as it will not be used empty. that tt is 34' long with a lot of water capacity, and with a large fridge and a lot of storage capacity it will be at or over its gvwr especially since he wants to hunt with it.

too much tt for the truck
    Thanks Hunting dog. How do I argue with a hunting dog? No, I haven't hauled it yet. I don't haul with water. I would add it when I arrive. So, gvwr 8,995 according to website. Website says dry weight is 7397. 1400 payload. That means I would need to add to TT 1604 lbs. Really? Do you haul gold or lead with you? LOL. I have 1400 lbs payload and 7397 dry weight According to my calculations, 8797 lbs is total. I would need to exceed in the TT 1598 lbs on the camper. Who does that? Let's have this conversation for the sake of others. I could be wrong. Thoughts?
    2023 Imagine 2970rl
    2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warm Hello from MN- Done with winter!

Quote Originally Posted by jimonalog View Post
    Thanks Hunting dog. How do I argue with a hunting dog? No, I haven't hauled it yet. I don't haul with water. I would add it when I arrive. So, gvwr 8,995 according to website. Website says dry weight is 7397. 1400 payload. That means I would need to add to TT 1604 lbs. Really? Do you haul gold or lead with you? LOL. I have 1400 lbs payload and 7397 dry weight According to my calculations, 8797 lbs is total. I would need to exceed in the TT 1598 lbs on the camper. Who does that? Let's have this conversation for the sake of others. I could be wrong. Thoughts?
    until you take the setup to a scale and weigh it a conversation is harder

Did you buy it yet even? If you bought it and have the documentation ,there is a sheet of paper in your bag that shows the true weight when it left the factory ,which will be higher than the number you posted
    Then once batteries and propane are added it will increase at the dealer. So you can’t go by brochure base weights
    I would guess that sheet of paper says the tongue weight is 820 ish. Maybe a little less. Then the dealer adds 100 pounds in gas and a battery, then the hitch weighs 70. We are now at 1000 pounds of tongue weight and you haven’t put any personal property in it yet
    Now,is the 1400 payload off of the sticker on the drivers door of your Ram? The actual payload I will wager is lower Options you or the dealer have added to your truck take away from that

As far as stuff being put in the trailer well for me I like to have everything I need and a bit more
    In my last trailer it had cargo issues so we had aluminum pots and pans and plastic plates and bowls for weight reduction
    I don’t have that issue with my Imagine so we have heavy pots and pans and correll plates. Weight adds up but imo you are maxed out before you add anything for camping gear
    Like I said only a weigh ticket will tell. But please don’t ever attempt to lighten the tongue weight of the trailer
    It is safer to overload the Ram than under load the tongue

Good luck
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast