Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tptNbone View Post
    Hi all,
    OK, an update to my knowledge base on my experience with batteries. Again, I'm the fellow who was supplied with TWO Marine Lead Acid (not AGM) batteries, each having a 64 Ah rating. It appears that the dealer just set up my batteries as having 100 Ah max. I'm not convinced they really knew what to do. If I had a single 64 Ah battery, this would have been an OK start, because then you could see just how many Ah the battery could charge up to. But in my case, I had TWO 64 Ah lead acid batteries. Also, remember that I have the THREE state charger in my system, which I think is a good advantage. HOWEVER, with a three stage charger, that system needs to know what the current state is for the battery so it can properly control the charging process. What I witnessed while using and monitoring the system is that with shore power (my house 120 VAC), my batteries would really start slowing down the charge when the Ah got to around 75 or 80 Ah, so I could almost never get to a very high storage level. And I think this was because the charging system was changing from a Bulk charge to an Absorb charge way too early. And I think that was because the Battery Control setup was set to a 100 Ah max. So I got some info on the TR16 Battery Monitor, which I believe is the monitor used by Furrion in my trailer. Using the TR16 instructions, I reset my Ah max to be 128 Ah. My intention was to get the charging system to run the Bulk stage up higher in order to get the battery up to a higher Ah level. After doing this, I saw much better results, that is, I now bulk charge up to around 88%, which is around 113 Ah. It is still climbing, albeit at the much slower Absorption rate. BUT, my battery controller now indicates a higher Ah total. I will be very interested in seeing how this all plays out during our next camping outing. Many thanks for all of the responses.
    Some issues with your logic here. First, the charger and the battery monitor are completely separate and do not communicate. The charger is preset and programmed to run a 3 stage charge of a FLA battery. There is nothing you can do to modify this other than tell it the battery type. It does the rest. The monitor that Furrion uses is a dumb monitor. It is just a coulomb counter that counts amps in and amps out. For it to work properly, it just needs to know the total capacity of the battery and the point where it is fully charged. Set it to 100% after the batteries have been on shore power a couple of days without much dc use. The capacity should be set to the total of your 2 batteries since they are parallel wired. Then everything will work properly.

What I think is confusing you (other than the setup of the monitor) is that the last 10 or more percent of FLA charging takes a long time at low amperage. The charger in these units and wire size will not charge a FLA battery up very quickly, and it takes a while to get all the way to 100%.

Since errors can buildup over time using a simple coulomb counter for battery monitoring, you may find that you periodically have to manually reset the 100% level, but that's a minor issue. The fancier monitors like the Vicron Smart Shunt (I have one on a solar system at my cabin) do this automatically.
    Last edited by JPS350; 05-08-2023 at 06:29 AM.
    2021 Imagine 22mle

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tptNbone View Post
    Hi all,
    OK, an update to my knowledge base on my experience with batteries. Again, I'm the fellow who was supplied with TWO Marine Lead Acid (not AGM) batteries, each having a 64 Ah rating. It appears that the dealer just set up my batteries as having 100 Ah max. I'm not convinced they really knew what to do. If I had a single 64 Ah battery, this would have been an OK start, because then you could see just how many Ah the battery could charge up to. But in my case, I had TWO 64 Ah lead acid batteries. Also, remember that I have the THREE state charger in my system, which I think is a good advantage. HOWEVER, with a three stage charger, that system needs to know what the current state is for the battery so it can properly control the charging process. What I witnessed while using and monitoring the system is that with shore power (my house 120 VAC), my batteries would really start slowing down the charge when the Ah got to around 75 or 80 Ah, so I could almost never get to a very high storage level. And I think this was because the charging system was changing from a Bulk charge to an Absorb charge way too early. And I think that was because the Battery Control setup was set to a 100 Ah max. So I got some info on the TR16 Battery Monitor, which I believe is the monitor used by Furrion in my trailer. Using the TR16 instructions, I reset my Ah max to be 128 Ah. My intention was to get the charging system to run the Bulk stage up higher in order to get the battery up to a higher Ah level. After doing this, I saw much better results, that is, I now bulk charge up to around 88%, which is around 113 Ah. It is still climbing, albeit at the much slower Absorption rate. BUT, my battery controller now indicates a higher Ah total. I will be very interested in seeing how this all plays out during our next camping outing. Many thanks for all of the responses.
    This is not good for the batteries, and dangerous as well. FLA batteries slow down in accepting charge as they fill up. If you want faster charging get better batteries.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To the folks who are worried about his batteries, there's nothing he could have done to change the charge profile. He's messing with the monitor settings. Garbage in garbage out, so to say, so it looks to the observer that the charging profile has been changed when, in reality, the monitor is just giving different values during the cycle.
    2021 Imagine 22mle

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234