User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Golf Cart - or - E-Bike - or - Scooter

We will be traveling with a golf cart in our 351MS Momentum this year, but I am thinking about going to something much lighter, like a good e-bike or a gas-powered scooter (think Vespa).

Can you tell me about your experiences with any of the above... pros and cons?

Thanks
    -B
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are only using it to tool around the RV park a golf cart is hard to beat. If you want to use it to run into town or do some sightseeing the Vespa would be a better choice. So you see, the better choice depends on what your use would be.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And we've been in several parks where they don't allow unlicensed vehicles, like golf carts. A gas-powered licensed scooter makes the most sense to me.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With an e-bike you might get some exercise, the Vespa not so much...unless you run out of gas
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having just picked up an eBike myself, I'm finding it a blast to ride. It's nice to be able to power right up a hill, in my youth I could have done that on my mountain bike, but these days not so much. I have saddlebags and a basket, so picking up groceries, etc. is no problem. It also does well off-road (I got the fat tires). But I'm not sure how far I would go (20 miles round trip might be tops), if you need more then the motorized scooter might be the way to go.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
    We will be traveling with a golf cart in our 351MS Momentum this year, but I am thinking about going to something much lighter, like a good e-bike or a gas-powered scooter (think Vespa).

Can you tell me about your experiences with any of the above... pros and cons?

Thanks
    -B
    I'm biased - we have e-bikes. But we don't have a motorcycle and would never want to tote around a golf cart of scooters. Hence - no toys hauler. Like I said - I'm a bit biased here.

With an e-bike you can cruise through the CG (self powered or via motor), ride some nice bike trails (not doable in a cart or scooter); run errands; get exercise; carry it with you in the truck to some nice locations, get into places you would never get in a automobile, motorcycle, scooter or golf cart (like Zion NP and a few others).

I never understood the need for a golf cart in a campground (at least most campgrounds); seems folks just cruise around; but I can see it being useful if in one campground for a long season and in a large campground. I wouldn't think it is useful for much else. Disclaimer - we have 2. But we live in a place with over 3000 sites (from pads to full-blow homes) and is built for golf carts - including on the golf course.

A scooter seems OK, but why? Not for cruising in a campground I wouldn't think, but maybe good to go to town for mile? Probably too underpowered for most roads and not usable on bike trails.

color me biased toward bicycles......
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We take regular bikes but really been looking at all those eBikes we are seeing in campgrounds. Not as young as I once was and these would be prefect for longer trips; maybe into towns nearby if they have bike paths.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just spent 3 months at Gulf State Park in Alabama, which has 20+ miles of paved trails for walking/biking. (no mopeds, golf carts)

E-bikes come in 3 types:
    Class 1 - only assists with pedaling, to a max of 20 mph (you can go faster, but no more assistance). Has varying levels of how much assistance you get.
    Class 2 - like class 1, but also has a throttle, so you can ride without pedaling.
    Class 3 - like class 1, no throttle, but max speed is 26 mph. Many areas forbid them on sidewalks/trails, but it is really hard to tell them apart from Class 1's.

At Gulf State - LOTS of all classes, especially class 2's that are available from several rental companies.

I ride a Class 3, but never have hit max speed. Generally use the assist only for starting up (they are heavy bikes and I am heavy) or hills. Otherwise ride it like a normal bike.
    I got to really hate the Class 2's. Too easy to go faster than conditions/traffic on the trails accommodate. Lots and lots of pedestrians and other bikers having to literally jump off the trail as a pack of Class 2's at full throttle came whizzing around a curve.
    They have their place for people that need them, but too many are ridden as mopeds by those that just don't want to pedal, in places mopeds should not go.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    Just spent 3 months at Gulf State Park in Alabama, which has 20+ miles of paved trails for walking/biking. (no mopeds, golf carts)

E-bikes come in 3 types:
    Class 1 - only assists with pedaling, to a max of 20 mph (you can go faster, but no more assistance). Has varying levels of how much assistance you get.
    Class 2 - like class 1, but also has a throttle, so you can ride without pedaling.
    Class 3 - like class 1, no throttle, but max speed is 26 mph. Many areas forbid them on sidewalks/trails, but it is really hard to tell them apart from Class 1's.

At Gulf State - LOTS of all classes, especially class 2's that are available from several rental companies.

I ride a Class 3, but never have hit max speed. Generally use the assist only for starting up (they are heavy bikes and I am heavy) or hills. Otherwise ride it like a normal bike.
    I got to really hate the Class 2's. Too easy to go faster than conditions/traffic on the trails accommodate. Lots and lots of pedestrians and other bikers having to literally jump off the trail as a pack of Class 2's at full throttle came whizzing around a curve.
    They have their place for people that need them, but too many are ridden as mopeds by those that just don't want to pedal, in places mopeds should not go.
    Thanks for the listing of eBike types, I hadn't seen that before. I'm guessing mine is a Class 2, but like you, I primarily pedal it except when going up hills when the assist is quite welcome. I've hit close to 28 MPH but that was on a road, I wouldn't think of going that fast on a path where there are others present. It's too bad that some are so willing to disregard the safety of their fellow trail users.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Having just picked up an eBike myself, I'm finding it a blast to ride. It's nice to be able to power right up a hill, in my youth I could have done that on my mountain bike, but these days not so much. I have saddlebags and a basket, so picking up groceries, etc. is no problem. It also does well off-road (I got the fat tires). But I'm not sure how far I would go (20 miles round trip might be tops), if you need more then the motorized scooter might be the way to go.

What SoundSailor says, X2.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast