User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    Just spent 3 months at Gulf State Park in Alabama, which has 20+ miles of paved trails for walking/biking. (no mopeds, golf carts)

E-bikes come in 3 types:
    Class 1 - only assists with pedaling, to a max of 20 mph (you can go faster, but no more assistance). Has varying levels of how much assistance you get.
    Class 2 - like class 1, but also has a throttle, so you can ride without pedaling.
    Class 3 - like class 1, no throttle, but max speed is 26 mph. Many areas forbid them on sidewalks/trails, but it is really hard to tell them apart from Class 1's.

At Gulf State - LOTS of all classes, especially class 2's that are available from several rental companies.

I ride a Class 3, but never have hit max speed. Generally use the assist only for starting up (they are heavy bikes and I am heavy) or hills. Otherwise ride it like a normal bike.
    I got to really hate the Class 2's. Too easy to go faster than conditions/traffic on the trails accommodate. Lots and lots of pedestrians and other bikers having to literally jump off the trail as a pack of Class 2's at full throttle came whizzing around a curve.
    They have their place for people that need them, but too many are ridden as mopeds by those that just don't want to pedal, in places mopeds should not go.
    That's very good to know thanks. I wonder if they advertise the fat tire with wide seats for comfort E-bikes according to these classes. Tami and I talked about looking into e-bikes but I don't remember if they were listed with the classes. We thought about how much we thought we would use them for the initial cost, then how would we carry them and lock them up. Not enough room in the truck bed and we would have to get a carrier capable to plug into the rear RV trailer hitch. We even looked at regular bikes, the fold up ones. So far we haven't bought anything, still walking.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    That's very good to know thanks. I wonder if they advertise the fat tire with wide seats for comfort E-bikes according to these classes. Tami and I talked about looking into e-bikes but I don't remember if they were listed with the classes. We thought about how much we thought we would use them for the initial cost, then how would we carry them and lock them up. Not enough room in the truck bed and we would have to get a carrier capable to plug into the rear RV trailer hitch. We even looked at regular bikes, the fold up ones. So far we haven't bought anything, still walking.
    The classes are generally used for defining legal use in an area by governing bodies. MPH is the big criteria, with throttle (or not) second. Manufacturers may or may not categorize their bikes that way, but they still fit into one of the three. Just have to ask (or look at the specs) for MPH and throttle or not.

The bad side is they let you bike further and over more challenging countryside than you might otherwise do on a conventional bike. My wife is irritated that I promised to be gone for only an hour, and it ended up being 2-3. And I tackle hills I would not even do back when I was a real biker back in my 20's.

Weight and cost are issues. Can be several grand, and weigh 50 lbs, or more.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't ignore the possibility of regular bicycles.
    They're lighter, smaller, cheaper, legal everywhere, and don't require charging.
    Plus you will get real exercise with them which most of us older folk could definitely benefit from.

As one of my friends said, "We don't stop riding because we get old, we get old because we stop riding."
    signature

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    Don't ignore the possibility of regular bicycles.
    They're lighter, smaller, cheaper, legal everywhere, and don't require charging.
    Plus you will get real exercise with them which most of us older folk could definitely benefit from.

As one of my friends said, "We don't stop riding because we get old, we get old because we stop riding."
    I live in a place where most people (me included) don't ride for almost 6 mo. due to the weather. There was always low ability when starting up in the spring. Just tough to get back in shape after a long layoff, and seems even tougher now that I'm old. The e-bike has helped change that a lot. Sure, the first few weeks I use the assist a lot. But I get to places I want, instead of only part way there. Which keeps the motivation going. And as time goes on, I use the assist less and less. At the end of the 3 months where it was warm, I was doing 20 mi. rides and hadn't drained the battery even one step on the gauge - so almost all regular biking. I'm tuned up enough, that I'm planning out 30 to 40 mile rides as soon as the snow at home melts. Those may be more assisted....but it is far, far more than I would ever get to without the starting help of the e-bike.

There's not much out there, but for pedal assist, what there is seems to indicate about 30% less energy overall used on a ride. So not as effective as regular biking for getting into shape...but if it gets one started, and makes it easier to continue....

But a throttle? That's really is cheating......
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Golf cart, moped, or Ebike? E-bike for sure. All three you sit down and can be propelled. But the e-bike is more nimble and great for exercise too. Contrary to what many think e-bikes provide more of a workout than a regular bike. Just because you have the option to use battery assist doesn’t mean you have to. I often ride without any assist from the battery. Now that’s a good workout. I also have the confidence to push myself harder and go places that I never would with a regular bike knowing that I can kick-in the battery to get me back.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    << thread drift warning - bicycle fan info ahead >>

I live in a place where most people (me included) don't ride for almost 6 mo. due to the weather. There was always low ability when starting up in the spring.
    I completely understand that! I had the same issue for many years. And I absolutely couldn't stand indoor lifecycle/peloton type torture devices so my physical fitness would tend to go downhill over the winter - even more so as I got older.

So a friend of mine recommended a Zwift setup (my bike, a smart, wheel-off load device (Wahoo Kickr), and a zwift app) and since I've been able to ride 24/7/365. I mostly "ride" in my basement, but I also put a 40" TCL TV in my 349M garage so I can "ride" in there as well when the weather is bad.

https://youtu.be/LBXnYW6yX_Q

But a throttle? That's really is cheating......
    Well, unless it's a proper motorcycle, right?
    signature

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I completely understand that! I had the same issue for many years. And I absolutely couldn't stand indoor lifecycle/peloton type torture devices so my physical fitness would tend to go downhill over the winter - even more so as I got older.

So a friend of mine recommended a Zwift setup (my bike, a smart, wheel-off load device (Wahoo Kickr), and a zwift app) and since I've been able to ride 24/7/365. I mostly "ride" in my basement, but I also put a 40" TCL TV in my 349M garage so I can "ride" in there as well when the weather is bad.

https://youtu.be/LBXnYW6yX_Q

Well, unless it's a proper motorcycle, right?
    I had a Compu-Trainer ages and ages ago, and it was pretty cool, a lot like the Zwift setup, but not online of course. I also had some rollers that were great for maintaining both form and fitness. My last indoor cycle device was the CycleOps. But now my indoor trainer is a Concept 2 rowing machine. And audio books.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have two ebikes that we ride everywhere. We don't do shopping with them because I'm not comfortable just locking them up outside a store and being gone too long. The cool thing about ebikes vs a scooter or GC is you can go almost anywhere. Trails, bike paths, bike lanes and they don't need gas. Ours have a range of 60 miles on level 1 or 2. 5 is the top level. They will cruise around 26-27 on just the throttle. I've had mine up to 36 mph going down a hill. They're as stable as a small motorcycle. They're also great for excursive. You pick the pedal level and thats how much excursive you get.
    I should note that ours have torque sensors vs cadence sensors. With torque sensors the electric motor delivers power based on how hard you pedal vs a cadence sensor where the motor delivers power on what level you're in. You don't have to pedal very hard to go faster with a cadence sensor.
    Scooters are neat but you still need an MC license for some states.
    If you're just planning or putting around the RV park then why not get a regular bicycle?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So true, this thread has gotten a bit off the OPs question.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    But now my indoor trainer is a Concept 2 rowing machine.
    Those are TOUGH! I used one in the gym for a while and it's a fantastic workout.

Good on ya!
    signature

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast