User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kitster View Post
    My wife and I are planning a trip to Yellowstone this fall. I'm hearing that the northern crossing on route 14 is a must better scenic route across the bighorns. I'm thinking that my truck setup with the towing package and exhaust brakes should be fine but my wife isn't so sure. Since we've never really made a trip like this before, we would like to know if anyone has similar equipment to ours and has made that crossing, what are your thoughts?
    That depends on our truck GVWR. I had an F250 diesel and the GVWR was 10K pounds. To be safe, I moved up to an 2020 F350 dually long bed which had a GVWR of 14000 lbs. With the CAT scale, the F250's axle weight was 9,845 lbs and not fully loaded or my wife in the cab.
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went over the Bighorn mountains from Sheridan to Cody with a 2007 6.7 cummins pulling an 11K trailer. Handled it just fine. Some of those inclines are steep...but it's doable. Scenery is awesome. Actually when we got to the top, we pulled into a parking area just to look around. DW went into the trailer and the chip bags that were on the counter had burst. Higher up than we thought...lol
    Cody is a great town to spend a few days before Yellowstone. Have a beer at the Irma. We stayed on the north shore of the reservoir...campground there right next to rattlesnake mountain.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    We went over the Bighorn mountains from Sheridan to Cody with a 2007 6.7 cummins pulling an 11K trailer. Handled it just fine. Some of those inclines are steep...but it's doable. Scenery is awesome. Actually when we got to the top, we pulled into a parking area just to look around. DW went into the trailer and the chip bags that were on the counter had burst. Higher up than we thought...lol
    Cody is a great town to spend a few days before Yellowstone. Have a beer at the Irma. We stayed on the north shore of the reservoir...campground there right next to rattlesnake mountain.
    We did that three or four years ago and also hit Cheyenne Wy for Cheyenne Days. Great trip and my wife was doing some tracking. For every ten trucks pulling RVs, the majority were Ram. That seems to be true in most of the county side in Wy and Colorado.
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were in Yellowstone last August, then left via the east entrance (Hwy. 14) and went to Cody; that drive wAs no problem at all. We didn’t go farther east on Hwy. 14, opting to turn south to Thermopolis, then on to Casper. The drive through the Wind River Canyon south of Thermopolis was spectacular. No help here on going through the Bighorns to Sheridan, but Cody to Yellowstone was a breeze. Cody is worth a few days; we caught a local rodeo while there.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshhm View Post
    we caught a local rodeo while there.
    As did we. Did you take in a Triple "C" Cowboy show as well?
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kitster View Post
    My wife and I are planning a trip to Yellowstone this fall. I'm hearing that the northern crossing on route 14 is a must better scenic route across the bighorns. I'm thinking that my truck setup with the towing package and exhaust brakes should be fine but my wife isn't so sure. Since we've never really made a trip like this before, we would like to know if anyone has similar equipment to ours and has made that crossing, what are your thoughts?
    Kitster,

I live just east of Shell, Wyoming. We spend lots of time boondocking in the Bighorn Mountains and driving over the Bighorns (west to east on Hwy 14) as we travel to some of Wyoming's amazing State Parks. Hwy 14 is known as the Bighorn Scenic Byway: https://www.bighorncountywy.gov/news...n-scenic-byway Be sure to take some time at Shell Falls, the parking area has spaces trucks/trailers.

Hwy 14 is in great condition after a 12 mile stretch on the top was replaced a couple of years ago. There are a few steep sections, but your truck should handle the pull up and ride down without a problem. There are a number of pullouts on the descent with some amazing views of the mountains and Shell Creek (which in many places is several hundred feet below you). I saw that someone else commented on avoiding Hwy 14A and that's good advice. That road is much steeper than Hwy 14 and is closed through the winter because its impossible for WYDOT to keep it safely open.

By the way, there's a nice little campground in Shell, that's owned by some friends. So, if you need to over night in the area, that's a good option. Other options are campgrounds on the mountain; we particularly like Tie-flume Campground (and spend at least a week there in late summer) and Shell Creek Campground (not to be confused with Shell Campground, which is the CG in Shell).

Once you leave Shell, you're about 70 miles from Cody and downtown Cody is about 50 miles from the east entrance to the Park.

Enjoy!!
    Last edited by georgiadawg; 04-16-2023 at 08:52 AM.
    2017 F350 CC Lariat PS 6.7
    2021 Reflection 297RSTS with MORryde CRE3000, Titan Disc Brakes, TireMinder
    2017 Imagine 2600RB (sold)
    Lots of remote camping, Mtn biking, hiking & fly fishing

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    As did we. Did you take in a Triple "C" Cowboy show as well?
    No, we didn’t make it to any other shows. We were there for only a couple of days. Just visited the Buffalo Bill Museum of the West (and gun museum), and hit a few dining spots. Did the prime rib buffet at the Irma Hotel; the prime rib was good, but the 🦬 short ribs were the bomb.
    Mike 🏌️⛳️
    2017 Ram 2500 CC, 6.7L Cummins Diesel 🐏
    2022 Solitude S-Class 2930RL-R
    Full-time since 8/9/21

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank-you to everyone on the helpful advice. I believe our RAM will be fine. Now I need to start looking into some new tires
    David and Kit
    Long time campers and 1st time fifth wheel owner
    2017 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
    2018 Reflection 337RLS, Lambertville, MI

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12