Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spencers45 View Post
    Hello fellow RVers,

We will be pulling our GD Reflection 5th wheel up to Banff this July and considering entering Canada through Idaho on U.S. Route 95, then traveling up CAN 93 to Golden where we will pick up Route 1. Has anybody traveled this route? Would you recommend it?

Thank you in advance!
    Spencer
    Hope you have reservations. We were in Q at 9 AM and when the phones were opened, there were 43K in Q. All sites were booked by the time we got to a person working the Q. That was also true with Jasper the prior week.
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not all border crossings are open 24 hrs

We travelled through Canada last summer enroute to Alaska. I spoke with an Alaskan resident who travelled to AZ every year. He advised we go into Canada at Coutts, AB/Sweetgrass Montana. At that time he said even though a border crossing says its serviced 24 hrs/day, it isn't always open. He said it depended on staffing and if they didn't have the staff to stay open, they just closed the border. But Coutts AB was truly open 24 hours.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bit off topic but this thread caught my interest as we will be driving from Banff to Troy Mt in August. The route being discussed is the exact route we will take so this info has been awesome!
    We are getting to Banff coming from Iowa crossing into Canada on I29 north of Grand Forks. Has anyone taken extra cans of diesel fuel with them in the bed of their truck? I just got an F450 with a 45 gallon tank so I’m not too worried and will not get below 1/2 tank most of the time. I understand most of Manitoba and Saskatchewan are agricultural so fuel won’t be a huge issue but I feel it’s best to be safe than sorry.
    Appreciate anyone’s thoughts and experiences.
    Tom

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Tom View Post
    A bit off topic but this thread caught my interest as we will be driving from Banff to Troy Mt in August. The route being discussed is the exact route we will take so this info has been awesome!
    We are getting to Banff coming from Iowa crossing into Canada on I29 north of Grand Forks. Has anyone taken extra cans of diesel fuel with them in the bed of their truck? I just got an F450 with a 45 gallon tank so I’m not too worried and will not get below 1/2 tank most of the time. I understand most of Manitoba and Saskatchewan are agricultural so fuel won’t be a huge issue but I feel it’s best to be safe than sorry.
    Tom
    When we had our diesel truck, we always carried extra diesel and gas (for generator) in the bed of truck. Going south or North…never had an issue at the border.
    Regardless of the way you go, enjoy the beautiful mountains, but like others have stated on this post…when you travel in our Parks, DO NOT SPEED! Especially during the summer months, RCMP are always around, even when you can’t see them, and believe me, they love ghost cars here!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spencers45 View Post
    Hello fellow RVers,

We will be pulling our GD Reflection 5th wheel up to Banff this July and considering entering Canada through Idaho on U.S. Route 95, then traveling up CAN 93 to Golden where we will pick up Route 1. Has anybody traveled this route? Would you recommend it?

Thank you in advance!
    Spencer
    I am not sure your timeline to go to Banff, but if you can, definitely take your time! Regardless of where you go in BC or AB, there are so many beautiful places to go and see. If you get the chance, go see Waterton National Park in AB, it’s so beautiful. Again, if you get the chance, drive highway 22 through from Banff to Jasper and/or Nordegg! It’s the most beautiful drive I’ve ever done ever! Planning on spending a lot of weekends this summer out there and enjoying the hiking and the beautiful lakes! The KOA in Cranbrook is very nice as well.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great thanks for the info. Will definitely mind our P’s and Q’s up there. We are going in mid August - I always find the later in the season the lower the patience threshold for tourists is.

Safe travels, enjoy life!
    2022 F450 Super Duty
    2020 Solitude 382WB
    Always Looking For New Adventures!
    Go Cyclones!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We visited Waterton last year while staying at East Glacier - did a day trip. It was fantastic and breath taking! Great little business district, great lunch. On our way out of town we saw an old refurbished Ford and stopped to take a photo of it. The folks that owned it were home and invited us in. Showed us their home they built - it was unbelievable! So cool and amazing details built into the house that have great meaning to the park and the RCMP. The people are from Utah but have had the cabin next to it in the family for generations and the house they built mimics the original home. It was an amazing and greatly appreciated opportunity they provided.
    2022 F450 Super Duty
    2020 Solitude 382WB
    Always Looking For New Adventures!
    Go Cyclones!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorJoe View Post
    We travelled through Canada last summer enroute to Alaska. I spoke with an Alaskan resident who travelled to AZ every year. He advised we go into Canada at Coutts, AB/Sweetgrass Montana. At that time he said even though a border crossing says its serviced 24 hrs/day, it isn't always open. He said it depended on staffing and if they didn't have the staff to stay open, they just closed the border. But Coutts AB was truly open 24 hours.
    Kingsgate/Eastport on U.S. 95 is always open.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Tom View Post
    Tom
    You won't have any trouble finding diesel in the towns on that route. When you see the sticker shock on the pump remember that each dollar is only $0.75 US - right now anyway.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering5thwheelers View Post
    I am not sure your timeline to go to Banff, but if you can, definitely take your time! Regardless of where you go in BC or AB, there are so many beautiful places to go and see. If you get the chance, go see Waterton National Park in AB, it’s so beautiful. Again, if you get the chance, drive highway 22 through from Banff to Jasper and/or Nordegg! It’s the most beautiful drive I’ve ever done ever! Planning on spending a lot of weekends this summer out there and enjoying the hiking and the beautiful lakes! The KOA in Cranbrook is very nice as well.
    Umm, Hwy 22 doesn’t go anywhere near Banff, Jasper or Nordegg.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast