User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Resolved: Furrion MPPT Solar Charge Controller Fault

Our new 2910BH Imagine was not charging the battery from solar. The 25A MPPT Solar Charge Controller had a red light in the power indicator and the appropriate battery light.

The MPPT Solar Charge Controller had a red fault light. It was explained to us that the red light means it’s working during our walkthrough, however the manual states that a red light means fault.

I was able to determine that the charge controller was not wired correctly. The leads from the solar panels were landed on the battery terminals, and the leads connecting the battery were landed on the solar terminals. While troubleshooting this the ground terminal lug was also not tightened satisfactorily, and the ground wire was not retained.
    1. Disconnected from Shore Power
    2. Unscrewed the charge controller from the mounting location
    3. Slid off the wall mount, the terminals stay connected to the wires and slide out of the bottom of the charge controller. This allowed access to the terminals for using the probes on the multi-meter.
    4. The leads from the panels and the wires connecting the battery were the same color and type.
    5. Disconnecting from the battery allowed to ensure that the the 13.8 volts on the battery leads went to zero,confirming the leads connecting to the battery.
    6. The solar panel was outputting around just over 20 volts in the shade, since everything else was disconnected, it was clear these were the panels.
    7. The charge controller was slid back into the bracket and seated well
    8. Placing the solar leads into the charge controller solar terminals (the bracket is marked for where they go and also reflected on the wiring diagram in the manual), and putting the battery on the correct terminals.
    9. The ground wire was placed into the terminal and the terminal lug tightened
    10. The charge controller and bracket was mounted back at the mounting location

Ultimately, this work allowed the charge controller to start working and post a green LED on the power indicator.

I took some photos but since all the wires are the same color except for the bare copper ground wire, there is not much to look at. I am posting this in the event that someone else has an issue with a new charge controller on a new camper… to take a multi-meter, your manual, and 20 minutes and you can save yourself a trip to the dealership.
    Last edited by Sam_Frodo; 04-08-2023 at 08:52 PM.
    Doug, Cheryl, 2 Kids, 2 Dogs.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Duramax (Sam)
    2023 Imagine 2910BH (Frodo)

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting this @Sam_Frodo, hopefully, it will help someone with a similar problem. When confronted with a problem like this, too often we fail to consider the obvious, that it was installed incorrectly. Kudos to you for getting it straight.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for posting this. I was puzzled why nothing is working on my Imagine xls 23lde and the controller light is red, thinking there was no way they could have messed this up at the factory but I was wrong!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Sam_Frodo, I’ve got an issue with mine being faulted and can’t change battery type.

Is the picture here about the same thing you were seeing?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0738.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	47503
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0741.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	47509
    Last edited by Mike_USA; 07-31-2023 at 10:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also found the battery wires were reversed. Thank you!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a follow up…. The battery wires were reversed. Swapped + & - around for the battery and I’m up and running…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same as @Mike_USA, my battery + and - were reversed. Seems like a chronic factory install problem!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar system

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_USA View Post
    As a follow upÖ. The battery wires were reversed. Swapped + & - around for the battery and Iím up and runningÖ
    Mike my 2023 imagine is hooked up the same way only they didnít use a red and black wire they used all yellow or yellow w/green tracers. I donít have a picture right now of the wiring but as soon as I get the trailer Iíll snap a shot of the wiring. When I pulled the mppt 25A off the bulkhead I tested the wires that way and everything is dead. Not sure which wire is from the solar panel or which is from the battery. Where your yellow w/ green tracer is hooked thatís where my yellow wire is hook and the yellow w/green tracer is where your yellow wire is hooked. Any suggestions

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuster102 View Post
    Mike my 2023 imagine is hooked up the same way only they didnít use a red and black wire they used all yellow or yellow w/green tracers. I donít have a picture right now of the wiring but as soon as I get the trailer Iíll snap a shot of the wiring. When I pulled the mppt 25A off the bulkhead I tested the wires that way and everything is dead. Not sure which wire is from the solar panel or which is from the battery. Where your yellow w/ green tracer is hooked thatís where my yellow wire is hook and the yellow w/green tracer is where your yellow wire is hooked. Any suggestions
    Here is what I would doÖ

Disconnect all the wires from the MPPT
    Using a multimeter connect the neg lead to a good ground source
    Then successively connect the post lead of the multimeter to each of the wires
    One wire will return your battery voltage
    One wire will return your solar voltage
    Now you need to test the other two to determine which ground they belong to battery or panel
    Now connect each known pos to your multimeter and test each of the other wires one at a time
    One wire will bring back a voltage based on that voltage number you know know the pairs
    Mark em and connect Ďem

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bill I’ll try that next

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast