User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Spine" coming out of awning track

Our last camping trip was in November. Since then it has been in a storage lot.
    When we parked it, the "spine" in the awning track was sticking out approximately 2 inches. After a few strong storms here in Florida, the spine came out farther as shown in the picture.
    I was able to get it back to about 2 inches sticking out but can't get it in all the way.
    By the way the front side has the spine all the way to the end of the track, so it appears that the spine is 2 pieces.

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it?

IF I can't get it in all the way my plan is to cut it flush and come up with a way to make sure it can't slide out anymore. Maybe a screw in the end or pinching the track.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3151.jpg  
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At each end of the rear rail "awning rope" there has to be a small screw in place to keep the rope from sliding out of the awning fabric and rear rail

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
    Our last camping trip was in November. Since then it has been in a storage lot.
    When we parked it, the "spine" in the awning track was sticking out approximately 2 inches. After a few strong storms here in Florida, the spine came out farther as shown in the picture.
    I was able to get it back to about 2 inches sticking out but can't get it in all the way.
    By the way the front side has the spine all the way to the end of the track, so it appears that the spine is 2 pieces.

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it?

IF I can't get it in all the way my plan is to cut it flush and come up with a way to make sure it can't slide out anymore. Maybe a screw in the end or pinching the track.

Thanks
    the spine is supposed to be one piece,with a screw on one end of the tube locking it in place. this is an unusual failure. your idea for a fix is about the best that can be done at this point,. you may want to bone up on fabric installation. i have done it on two of my trailers. with enough helping hands it is not hard
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll certainly want to get that welt cord back in as much as possible. An inch or two as long as it's not near the edge should be OK, but those should be one piece, so I'm guessing yours broke or wasn't installed properly. Don't bend the metal slip. Zip a screw or silicone in place.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend reinserting the bead so the middle of the awning won't come out of the rail, be unsupported and sag or rip. To do this, the awning may have to be completely removed in order to thread the bead back into the pocket. Then, as suggested, make sure the screws are in place at either end to keep the bead from working its way back out. Is your unit still under warranty?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I would recommend reinserting the bead so the middle of the awning won't come out of the rail, be unsupported and sag or rip. To do this, the awning may have to be completely removed in order to thread the bead back into the pocket. Then, as suggested, make sure the screws are in place at either end to keep the bead from working its way back out. Is your unit still under warranty?
    Rob
    Out of warrantee. Right now it's only about 2 inches out and I have it duct taped to keep it from coming out further.
    We're at the Florida rally next week, so perhaps once I can open the awning I'll be able to get it back. At least I'll be able to see where it's disconnected. If not, then missing a small section in the middle shouldn't hurt much. Maybe if I get on the roof I can see the problem better.

We just re-upholstered several of our patio chairs, so I'm familiar with how the system is supposed to work.

Thanks for all the replies.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    trying to push it back in would be like trying to push a wet noodle in a straight line.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never tried it, but with tension off the roller, and if you made sure the material is in the groove well enough, it might be worth a shot to try and put it back in place. You'd most definitely have to have the awning slack, but you never know until you try. You do need to do something, there's a lot hanging out.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    You'll certainly want to get that welt cord back in as much as possible. An inch or two as long as it's not near the edge should be OK, but those should be one piece, so I'm guessing yours broke or wasn't installed properly. Don't bend the metal slip. Zip a screw or silicone in place.
    i don't think the install caused it .on the two i have done the spine was aready in the fabric and it was a single piece.pulling on one side made the other side shorter.
    in a normal situation,there should be 1 screw securing it on one side.the other side needs to be left alone. this allows a small amount of movement for expansion/contraction.

at this point, i would just limp it along until it fails.then buy new fabric and replace it at that time
    IMO considering the price fabric is cheap, and they don't last very long... (my fabric was just over 100.00 each time) he has likely already had it for over 50% it's expected life.why spend time sourcing/buying new spine, the removing the fabric. running a fish tape thru it and pulling new spine into it.and the reinstalling a used awning, fabric,

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    trying to push it back in would be like trying to push a wet noodle in a straight line.
    I already moved it back probably 18 inches or so.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast