User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same thing happen to me. I took the tension off the roller (YouTube video) then with pliers pushed it in inch by inch. Then inserted a screw at the end that pinches the spine , securing it.
    Lynn
    Dallas, Texas
    2021 Reflection 337RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smullinax View Post
    Contacted GD customer service, they forwarded to Lippert (this is a Solera awning). Lippert requested more pics, then authorized 1.5 hrs labor to install and are supposed to be sending new awning fabric directly to me. I'll get a mobile tech to come out and do the work; just not practical to take it in to a dealer even if I end up paying part of the labor. Don't want to deal with their scheduling, delays and excuses either!
    So to update: GD customer service sent the new fabric, just got it yesterday. I'll line up a mobile tech when I get somewhere the wind isn't blasting.
    2022 Solitude 378-MBS-R, 8k axles and disc brake package, slide toppers, dual panes, 5.5kw Onan, W/D, 3rd AC/heat pump
    2023 F350 Lariat DRW on order, (canceled)
    2023 Chevy 3500 LTZ long bed Duramax, 12250 GVWR, 3867 cargo cap, Z71, 5th wheel prep

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smullinax View Post
    So to update: GD customer service sent the new fabric, just got it yesterday. I'll line up a mobile tech when I get somewhere the wind isn't blasting.
    Quoting myself here to restart the thread......
    So I have the replacement awning that GD sent me, just haven't had the opportunity to schedule a mobile tech to look at replacing it.
    There is still 2' or so of spine hanging out the back end of the original awning, but since I have the replacement available I have been risking a failure and using the awning daily. Been a couple of weeks and the spine isn't moving when I run the awning in and out like I thought it might. No sagging or pulling loose either.
    So my question; what is the actual function of that spine? With 2' hanging out the back end I was assuming the front end would start pulling loose, but so far that is not the case. Guess I should examine the new one, but it's easier to ask the forum....and my coffee is right here too!
    Thanks
    2022 Solitude 378-MBS-R, 8k axles and disc brake package, slide toppers, dual panes, 5.5kw Onan, W/D, 3rd AC/heat pump
    2023 F350 Lariat DRW on order, (canceled)
    2023 Chevy 3500 LTZ long bed Duramax, 12250 GVWR, 3867 cargo cap, Z71, 5th wheel prep

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As was mentioned, it's possible the spine is a two piece spine, and enough hasn't come out to cause part of the awning to pull out from the attachment rail. The function of the spine is to keep the awning in the track, and secured. Some awnings, probably most, have a pocket that the spine goes into, that then goes into the rail, thus securing the awning to the trailer.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    the spine is supposed to be one piece,with a screw on one end of the tube locking it in place. this is an unusual failure. your idea for a fix is about the best that can be done at this point,. you may want to bone up on fabric installation. i have done it on two of my trailers. with enough helping hands it is not hard

This thread is the closest I can find to my awning issue.

Since Huntindog has had 2 awnings replaced, I'm asking him first.

Our awning has pulled the threads at the top edge of the awning in the middle area. I'm pretty sure the awning needs to be replaced. Our extended warranty is about to expire and it looks like it will cover the replacement. I have started the claim and have an appointment at a smaller dealership.

Is there anything I need to know about an awning replacement?

Thanks KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    This thread is the closest I can find to my awning issue.

Since Huntindog has had 2 awnings replaced, I'm asking him first.

Our awning has pulled the threads at the top edge of the awning in the middle area. I'm pretty sure the awning needs to be replaced. Our extended warranty is about to expire and it looks like it will cover the replacement. I have started the claim and have an appointment at a smaller dealership.

Is there anything I need to know about an awning replacement?

Thanks KEN
    When I last did it, there were different materials available. I forget what they are, but some were said to be longer lasting. They cost more, but may be worth it,I do not have a long term report on it as I sold the TT.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123