User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fridge Cooling Fans

My TT is stored in Arizona and when I go to get it in the summer it can be hotter than hell inside. Last summer I turned the fridge on and even after 24 hours it was struggling to cool down to a usable level. After doing a bit of research it seems the fridge relies on the airflow from ambient air. Hmmm... we have lots of days with zero wind, not great.

So here is the mod that I made. I don't know yet if it helps but I figured it can't hurt and it is almost completely silent.

I took three 120mm PC case fans and attached them to an existing wooden baton so that they would blow air onto the fridge coils, pulling it in from outside. There is an on/off switch, accessible by removing the cover, but I leave it on all of the time and use the battery disconnect in the basement to turn them off while in storage.

Here is the design. It's just three identical 3D printed parts:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-04-09 112133.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	45769

These are the parts, printed in Ninjatek Armadillo.

Name:	IMG-7359.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	45768

I found I could take 12V DC from this convenient "choc-block".

Name:	IMG-7363.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	45766

I connected the switch to a four-way fan power controller, obtained cheaply from Amazon or ebay. Each fan is connected to this, then through the switch to the 12V supply.

Name:	IMG-7361.jpg 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	45767

Here is the final install. Switch is mounted to the hole on the left-most fan holder. I believe I tided up the wiring with cable ties after taking this so there is no movement of the wires while bumping and bouncing down the road. Image is rotated but I can't figure out how to remove it from the post so I can attach it the right-way up.

Name:	IMG-7365.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	45765

Here is the STL for the fan holder: https://www.dropbox.com/s/67g6moj4oa...acket.stl?dl=1

Andy
    2018 Imagine 2500RL
    2016 Ford Expedition Max Tow

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Groover View Post
    My TT is stored in Arizona and when I go to get it in the summer it can be hotter than hell inside. Last summer I turned the fridge on and even after 24 hours it was struggling to cool down to a usable level. After doing a bit of research it seems the fridge relies on the airflow from ambient air. Hmmm... we have lots of days with zero wind, not great.

So here is the mod that I made. I don't know yet if it helps but I figured it can't hurt and it is almost completely silent.

I took three 120mm PC case fans and attached them to an existing wooden baton so that they would blow air onto the fridge coils, pulling it in from outside. There is an on/off switch, accessible by removing the cover, but I leave it on all of the time and use the battery disconnect in the basement to turn them off while in storage.

Here is the design. It's just three identical 3D printed parts:

Name:	Screenshot 2023-04-09 112133.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	45769

These are the parts, printed in Ninjatek Armadillo.

Name:	IMG-7359.jpg 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	45768

I found I could take 12V DC from this convenient "choc-block".

Name:	IMG-7363.jpg 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	45766

I connected the switch to a four-way fan power controller, obtained cheaply from Amazon or ebay. Each fan is connected to this, then through the switch to the 12V supply.

Name:	IMG-7361.jpg 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	45767

Here is the final install. Switch is mounted to the hole on the left-most fan holder. I believe I tided up the wiring with cable ties after taking this so there is no movement of the wires while bumping and bouncing down the road. Image is rotated but I can't figure out how to remove it from the post so I can attach it the right-way up.

Name:	IMG-7365.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	45765

Here is the STL for the fan holder: https://www.dropbox.com/s/67g6moj4oa...acket.stl?dl=1

Andy
    i am in phoenix. i learned long ago tha the AC needs to precool the trailer interior before the fridge can get cold. interior temps can hit 160. no fridge will work well at those temps,
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    i am in phoenix. i learned long ago tha the AC needs to precool the trailer interior before the fridge can get cold. interior temps can hit 160. no fridge will work well at those temps,
    I can't run the AC from my 20A extension cord and outlet - tried that. And a 30A cord is too thick to run across the sidewalk to get from the house to the trailer.
    2018 Imagine 2500RL

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't run the AC from my 20A extension cord and outlet - tried that. And a 30A cord is too thick to run across the sidewalk to get from the house to the trailer.
    Nice job on the fan install. Any extra flow helps.
    Any way you can precool using a portable generator?
    Also, not sure on your layout but make sure it is insulated above the refrigerator. There have been situations from the factory where there is not enough insulation allowing pockets of hot air to form on top or along the sides.
    Last edited by SilentService; 04-09-2023 at 08:10 PM.
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did something similar, but have them blowing out at the top rather than in at the bottom.
    If you want it a little more automated, replace the switch with this..
    https://www.amazon.com/58033-Single-...57&sr=8-6&th=1

and place it up high.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In some installations there is a lot of room between the cooling fins and the wall of the camper behind the fridge. The air can flow up through this space without passing through the cooling fins. I have seen where some people have gotten good results by putting a baffle between the cooling fins and the back wall to force the air to pass over the fins.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my guess is the fans won't be a solution. you gotta find a way to cool the interior,
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe your fridge is in a slide. If so, I'd be sure to check the top vent to make sure that the panel that directs air over the fins is in place.

I found mine laying in the top compartment so built a frame to strengthen the mounting and installed a duct with fans to move air up and out. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2101030489.jpg 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	45780Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1795309565.jpg 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	45781
    James and Dawn
    2019 F150 SCREW 3.5EB 6.5' - Haloview MC7109; Cooper AT3 LTX; Sumo Springs; ProPride WDH

2021 Imagine 2400BH - GY Endurance 225/75-15; MORryde CRE3000, HD shackles and wet bolts, X-factor crossmembers

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jproctor9 View Post
    I believe your fridge is in a slide. If so, I'd be sure to check the top vent to make sure that the panel that directs air over the fins is in place.

I found mine laying in the top compartment so built a frame to strengthen the mounting and installed a duct with fans to move air up and out.
    Nice! I did check and the panel is where it should be - good idea to check though.
    2018 Imagine 2500RL