User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wheels Off the Ground

So, my second evolution in camping with this beast. All good, butÂ….after auto-level, the 2 wheels on driver side are off the ground. Is this a problem, is there something I can wedge under to support or some other option I need to take. Looks creepy to me hanging in the air. Thanks.
    Bob and Isabella (and Sophia, our cat)
    2024 GMC 3500 HD Denali Dually
    2023 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
    “If there’s any doubt, there is no doubt.”

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me it's a matter of opinion, but Grand Design says it isn't supposed to be done, but I consider that a CYA. At the present time I have both tires on the passenger side about 3 inches off the ground. Does it bother me? Not in the least. The hydraulic levelers can easily support several times the weight of the trailer.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use your bubble level in your one control app on your phone get it close before auto level or your wheels will come off the ground. Some anderson leveling block work well with the one control app on your phone to get it close.
    2019 super duty 6.7
    2021 solitude 2930rl
    1236 ah of Sok lithium 1200 watts of solar.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    To me it's a matter of opinion, but Grand Design says it isn't supposed to be done, but I consider that a CYA. At the present time I have both tires on the passenger side about 3 inches off the ground. Does it bother me? Not in the least. The hydraulic levelers can easily support several times the weight of the trailer.
    Same with me, but mine are electric. Once the servos lock, it's not going anywhere till activated again.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conner58 View Post
    Use your bubble level in your one control app on your phone get it close before auto level or your wheels will come off the ground. Some anderson leveling block work well with the one control app on your phone to get it close.
    Thanks. I’ll give that a go tomorrow.
    Bob and Isabella (and Sophia, our cat)
    2024 GMC 3500 HD Denali Dually
    2023 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
    “If there’s any doubt, there is no doubt.”

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are fine with wheels off the ground. Personally, I get the trailer "close" to level side to side before pressing auto level with drive on blocks. Then the auto level doesn't have to think tooo hard.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder about the weight suspended from the frame instead of being pushed up as it would be while going down the road. That's probably not an issue, but it does look funny. We don't have those jacks on our TT, but if we ever go to a 5'er we will. I think I will probably be in the camp of putting some wood under the tires until I'm close, and then let the system level the rest of the way. And, yes, I'll still chock the wheels.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only weight suspended from the frame are the axles, wheels, and suspension parts. Not all that much. And if just one side, it would be less than the full weight of the parts, since some will be still supported by the other wheels. Not a big deal, IMO of course.

And you still would chock the tires since you'd be unhooking from the truck before all the leveling legs are down. Still a possibility of rolling.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question @HighClouds, it doesn't always seem safe to have the wheels off the ground. But sometimes camping spots don't come very level. If the ground is very uneven, I use some sort of blocks under the wheels to get close to level before going to auto level. And yes, be sure you're well chocked, if the ground is uneven the coach will want to roll (how do I know that?). The other element is how you adjust your jacks. I used to lower the feet very close to the ground. But that didn't leave much room for adjustment, so one or more of my wheels were almost always off the ground. Now I leave a foot or more of clearance before starting the auto-level. With the room to adjust, the auto leveler now is much better at getting level without wheels off the ground.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HighClouds View Post
    So, my second evolution in camping with this beast. All good, butÂ….after auto-level, the 2 wheels on driver side are off the ground. Is this a problem, is there something I can wedge under to support or some other option I need to take. Looks creepy to me hanging in the air. Thanks.
    I use blocks under the wheels and X-chocks between the wheels. The blocks I have are Camco interlocking which also have an available chock that interlocks into the blocks as well. That's what I use. I want the wheels to be grounded as per Grand Design recommendation.
    2020 Solitude 373FB-R,
    2017 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 DRW Long Bed,
    TST 570 TPMS, MORryde IS, B&W 25K Companion, Garmin RV785MT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast