Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brake Performance After Changing Brake Assemblies

Hey all!

Due to leaking grease seals, contaminated components, and an upcoming trip, I changed out my brake assemblies. I decided to put the Dexter self-adjusting assemblies on and repacked the bearings with new seals of course. Just finished testing the brakes. Most information I've had on it says to start controller out at 5, get up to about 25 and use the controller only to stop the rig. If the tires do not lock up, increase by .5 until they do. This is the appropriate setting, again, according to the literature I've read. So, ok, got it. Also, a site says to "burnish the brakes" doing 40 to 20 slowing many times using the controller. Ok, got that too. These are self-adjusting so they may be off some and need to fine tune. Ok, wow, lots to consider. Now, here are the results of my test trying to do all these things:

1. Did about 10, 40 to 20 slows over about 5 miles.
    2. Tested controller. Worked up to 10 on the controller, and still, it would not lock up the tires.
    3. Did about 10 or so--engage and release--actions going from about 50 mph to 5 mpg the thought being I'm advancing the self-adjusting feature.
    4. Tested controller. At 10, it would not lock up the tires. At 10, it felt like it was better at stopping, but it's still at 10.
    5. Pulled over. Brakes were extremely hot.
    6. On my street coming home, did many 10 mph to stop using controller only. Decent braking at 10. Backed up and stopped many times using only the controller. Stopped very well backing up.
    7. Braking was better than when I left house, but am far from satisfied.

I expect the controller to engage the 303 aggressively at around 5 or 6 and I'm not there. So, I'm hoping you guys can give me some feedback on your experience after changing brake assemblies. Will it pick up much better later after brakes brake in or self-adjuster is where it needs to be? Should I take off the drums and inspect? Anything else? Have an 09 F250 integrated controller and the 303RLS. Appreciate the time guys.

Brent
    Brent & Gina
    2018 Ford F250 PSD Crew Cab
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Brent - did you manually adjust the brakes before testing them out? I did on my Lippert brakes and it made quite a difference.

Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Brent - did you manually adjust the brakes before testing them out? I did on my Lippert brakes and it made quite a difference.

Jim
    I thought I did as mentioned in the video. I put the wheel on and pushed star wheel down until wheel would hardly turn, then back off a few clicks till it was moving freely but slight rubbing. That sound about right to you Jim?
    Brent & Gina
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It does sound about right. I'd let the brakes cool for a while, then try again.

scott42blue
    Brent
    I have never been able to lock up electric brakes on a heavy trailer. Empty goose neck horse trailer or 12 ton equipment trailer yes. Load it and no chance of lock up. Not sure of weight of your 337 but see you have HD tow rig. If it is over 6K I doubt you can get electric brakes to lock up. I also believe you have adjusted them correctly. Only thing I can add is do not trust self adjusters to do everything. After brake repair put a few miles on them and adjust again, you will probably get 4 to 8 clicks on adjustment. It makes a large difference .
    I have a 355 TH with 8K axles. Brakes are larger than what I think you have. I run controller at 10.
    Scott

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scott42blue View Post
    I have never been able to lock up electric brakes on a heavy trailer. Empty goose neck horse trailer or 12 ton equipment trailer yes. Load it and no chance of lock up.
    Has anybody been able to lock up the brakes on a 303 from 25 MPH ? I can't say that I have actually tried that. I can lock them up from about 10 MPH.
    I have heard the trailer tires howling loudly in an emergency braking situation from about 50 MPH (happened to have the truck window open) so I know they were approaching lockup.

I don't think there is enough braking capability back there (even without the grease problem and when properly adjusted) particularly when you get into drum brake fade after a couple of heavy stops . . . thus my quest for disc brakes.

As Jim suggested, how do they perform on a heavy cold brake apply ?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    As Jim suggested, how do they perform on a heavy cold brake apply ?

Rob
    We will see. I'll try and remember to update a cold brake after a week or so into the trip. Going to lift the tires and check the rub factor and maybe pop off a couple hubs to check everything out before leaving in 9 days. I posted on RV.net as well and some have said it takes some miles and use to get optimal. Heard "100 miles", "1000 miles", and "just drive, it'll get better." Glad I have TPMS to watch temps.

Brent
    Brent & Gina
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I haven't had the opportunity to test my new Dexter self-adjusting brakes yet but will on Tuesday. One thing for sure is that when burnishing you need to let the brakes cool between each time. In other words no rapid fire stop and go. Get up to 40, slow to 20, drive for a few minutes and do it again.

Another issue I haven't heard discussed here much when you changed out to your new brakes did you have your drums turned? I'm a firm believer in starting fresh with turned drums. When I had mine turned we found 2 out of 4 drums were in pretty bad shape, as in not a flat surface. The blade on the lathe made contact with the surface and started cutting and then as it came forward it completely lost contact with the braking surface. One drum took multiple passes before it would cut from side to side. Granted we were making very light cuts to avoid taking off too much material but still.

I really have no idea what to expect when I get the chance to test mine. I don't have an integrated controller like you do but at the same time I have changed out to a new controller, Tekonsha P3 from a Tekonsha Primus, so there will be some learning curve for me too.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    Another issue I haven't heard discussed here much when you changed out to your new brakes did you have your drums turned?
    Hey Poppy, no, didn't turn them. They looked good still and I've put less than 200 miles on them. How long had you traveled before getting them turned?

Brent
    Brent & Gina
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Brent, the factory is a good 2,000 mile drive to our dealer and then we've probably put at least 5,000 miles on top of that so I'd say some where between 7 and 10,000 miles? A support person at Dexter did recommend turning the drums no matter how many miles but I gotta say I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't left them out for a week while we were in Cabo and it rained and they developed surface rust. That was the original reason I got them turned and then I called Dexter about something else and they said they recommended it. After I turned the 2 that had the surface rust and called Dexter I actually pulled the other side, which I had already done but didn't have the drums turned, and removed the drums and had them turned. It only cost me 2 seals.

Anyway, I doubt that is your issue and I suspect most don't bother with that step but I just wanted to throw it out there.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast