User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About to be new RV owners help please

In the process of pricing new RV, we like the new 22MLE as it fits our budget and our towing capacity. One thing I have found is the wide variation in prices of the same year and model in and out of state. The most disturbing thing i've experience lately is a dealer telling me he would in no way prioritize the servicing of the trailer if I didn't buy from them. Is this common practice? How on earth can a manufacturer support this and believe it to be ethical practice? Is this behavior brand specific or are there brands that don't have distributers that act this way. Help me out here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No place around us will touch a Grand Design for repairs or maintenance except General RV and they really suck. It is unfortunate.
    2021 Imagine 2250rk
    2021 F150 Powerboost

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody know why that is? Is it brand specific?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We first took it to a General RV for some warranty work and it was a bad experience and we swore we'd never go back. When I asked Camping World and Camper's Inn why they wouldn't work on a GD, they both said that GD was horrible to deal with and took forever to pay them back for work so they stopped doing business with them. I asked what about if I was going to pay out of pocket and not warranty work, they then both said they still won't touch a GD as they are a pain to deal with to get parts. I've even asked different people at different locations. After the General RV debacle, I called GD and they actually sent me some parts directly under warranty after I submitted some pictures. Once out of warranty, I did find a mobile repair guy who was willing to work on it, but I ended up just buying the part I needed off Amazon and told him I'd use him next time if I couldn't fix things myself.

I have no idea what the real reason is to be honest. I'm sure someone else will post if they know why.
    2021 Imagine 2250rk
    2021 F150 Powerboost

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was this during COVID or pre COVID? I would give them a pass if it was during COVID.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scampb37 View Post
    Was this during COVID or pre COVID? I would give them a pass if it was during COVID.
    You can let people know who you are addressing by using the Reply With Quote or by tagging them like this:
    @scampb37

It is not brand-specific and varies widely from dealership to dealership. It reflects the attitude of the dealership owner and management. Our Reflection fifth wheel was serviced several times by GD dealers other than where we purchased it without any issues at all. It's also something you don't have to worry about after the unit is out of warranty - then you can have it worked on anywhere. We've even had GD approve mobile technicians for warranty work when we weren't near a dealership.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    You can let people know who you are addressing by using the Reply With Quote or by tagging them like this:
    @scampb37

It is not brand-specific and varies widely from dealership to dealership. It reflects the attitude of the dealership owner and management. Our Reflection fifth wheel was serviced several times by GD dealers other than where we purchased it without any issues at all. It's also something you don't have to worry about after the unit is out of warranty - then you can have it worked on anywhere. We've even had GD approve mobile technicians for warranty work when we weren't near a dealership.

Rob
    Thanks for the heads up !

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's pretty much the deal with RVs. We bought ours out of State (170 miles one way) from a Grand Design Dealer. Fortunately, we have not been back for service. Two things helps with this. First is the luck of the draw. If your trailer comes off the line in pretty good shape, most of your problems will revolve around general service and preventative maintenance. Second, if you good with tools in general, you can handle/repair/service most of what needs to be done. If not, you can try and rely on a mobile service to handle most anything. Higher costs....most likely. Handle warranty work..often yes.

So... you have some options.

Good luck.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scampb37 View Post
    Anybody know why that is? Is it brand specific?
    Dealers are all independently owned and not affiliated with any particular manufacturer.

This is why there are several different brands available on an RV lot.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Dealers are all independently owned and not affiliated with any particular manufacturer.

This is why there are several different brands available on an RV lot.
    So, the challenge is, finding a dealer who doesn't get offended that I didn't purchase from them. That sounds disheartening to say the least.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast