User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tire sealant-balancer

Does anyone use tire sealant in their tires?

When I replaced tires recently, they were full of some kind of sealant that the previous owner installed. It evidently was working as one of them had a 3/8" bolt in it and it wasn't leaking.

I've used some sealant in atv's but usually it affected the balance and would shake like hell at speed. You wouldn't dare use it in your rv or tow rig.

I'm curious as to what kind of stuff was in my rv tires as it probably wouldn't be too bad of an idea to use.
    2018 Ford F350
    2019 Momentum 394

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsmith596 View Post

When I replaced tires recently, they were full of some kind of sealant that the previous owner installed. It evidently was working as one of them had a 3/8" bolt in it and it wasn't leaking.

I've used some sealant in atv's but usually it affected the balance and would shake like hell at speed. You wouldn't dare use it in your rv or tow rig.

I'm curious as to what kind of stuff was in my rv tires as it probably wouldn't be too bad of an idea to use.
    my only experience is from when i was 12,and got tired of getting up at 4am to deliver newpapers before school and having to fix a flat on my bike first.
    i got the thickest tubes schwinn made and put their sealant in them. that put an end to my flat tire issues.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many tire shops will not touch a tire/wheel that has had sealant in it - messes up their equipment. I would never use it, personally.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are going to use tire sealants be aware that they may have propane and isobutane in it. What this means is that it is a possible bomb and if you take your tires in for work and they have to be dismounted you need to warn the shop that they have tire sealant in them.The tire could blow up when they go to dismount it. It can be very dangerous.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've used Ride-On tire sealant for years in my motorcycles, utility trailer tires and side by side. Regarding the MC, its more for balancing since the contact patch that holds the sealant is narrow. In my utility trailer tires, haven't had a puncture yet but they are wearing great. Now on my side by side, the largest thorn I've pulled was little over an 1/8", on numerous occasions. Tire seals up quick.
    I have not used it on my fifth wheel as I have them balanced and carry a spare. If I did, I would use Ride-On for at least the balance advantage.
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use sealant on tires of my bicycle, riding mower & yard trailer but not on my trailer tires. If you use those cans of fix-a-flat (do they still make that?) it needs to be declared at the tire shop also as it can cause a hazard as Gary said above.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC